More tired using BIPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Julie

Re: More tired using BIPAP

Post by Julie » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:44 am

The reason for the tiredness is that you're only being treated part of the night and once your mask is off your system reverts to it's pre-diagnosis state, wiping out any benefits you had while you slept with the mask.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:38 am

Are you awake when you remove the mask?
If so, get up, and don't allow yourself to lie down again without the mask.
Wiping the contact surface down with an unscented baby wipe, might help freshen it.
A mask liner might make the mask more comfortable. (Rem-zzz's, or Pad a Cheek)
You can cut one from an old undershirt or Viva towel. Some have even used facial tissue;
---anything to make the mask feel more comforting.

Sleepyv

Post by Sleepyv » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:46 pm

http://imgur.com/3NZg0j1

This is my first Sleepy head post. I am over 2 months using bi-pap and still tired. Thanks everyone for your help so far. Please let me know if you see anything that might help.

Sleeprider

Post by Sleeprider » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:43 pm

Sleepyv wrote:http://imgur.com/3NZg0j1

This is my first Sleepy head post. I am over 2 months using bi-pap and still tired. Thanks everyone for your help so far. Please let me know if you see anything that might help.
Sleepyv, all of your apnea are clear airway with some hypopnea thrown in. Your signature shows you are using an Auto BiPAP, but your machine is set to fixed BiPAP mode. In fixed mode, you are using ramp with EPAP at 8.0 and IPAP at 12.0. I think you could reduce the pressure suppor (lower IPAP to 10) and be much more comfortable. Alternatively, change the machine to Auto BiAPAP mode with Min EPAP at 8.0, PS MIN 2.0, PS MAX 4.0 and IPAP Max at 12.0.

It just appears you're pretty well treated for obstructive apnea, and are over-stimulated by the pressure support. You don't even have any RERA! The therapy looks very good to me, but could be better with less pressure support, and perhaps in auto mode.

Sleepyv

Post by Sleepyv » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:59 pm

Thank you for the information. It gives me hope that with the adjustments I will start to feel good with the Bi-Pap. I have been really trying but sometime the tiredness makes me want to give it up. Should I get the pressures lowered by the Dr. or can I do it myself?

lilly747

Post by lilly747 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:26 pm

Sleepyv don't give up. You're still adjusting to the xpap. You really do need to make up your mind not to sleep without the mask on. You have gotten some good advice in this thread....try the machine changes. If they don't work, you can put the settings back where they were. YES you can make the changes yourself. Do you have your manual for your machine?

Sleepyv

Post by Sleepyv » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:57 pm

I am trying! The more hours I sleep with it at night the next day I'm exhausted. That's what has me puzzled. I wake up and think wow, I slept 6 1/2 hours. I'm doing great, going to fell good today and I am so tired I can barely function.

I do have the manuel. I have an appointment with the sleep Dr. Friday and If they don't change the setting, I will try and change it myself. I am determined to sleep with this since my apnea events have gone from 25 an hour to 1 or 2.

I am hopeful the adjustments will solve my problem. I thank all of you for your help.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:03 pm

Sleepyv wrote:I do have the manuel.
Just want to clarify. The user manual comes with your machine the Clinical Manual you have to get on your own. Do you have both?
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

Sleepyv

Post by Sleepyv » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:42 pm

I have the owner's manual. How do I get the clinical manual?

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:47 pm

Sleepyv wrote:I have the owner's manual. How do I get the clinical manual?
Here is a link. Scroll down to section Three and at the bottom there are instructions to follow to get them to email you one. http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-p ... tup-manual
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

Sleepyv

Post by Sleepyv » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:12 pm

Well, I went to the Sleep Doc yesterday and told him I have been feeling worse on my Bipap than when I don't sleep with it. He told me he had no idea why I'm feeling this way. I asked him to lower the pressure a little like Sleeprider suggested. He did and said he didn't know if it would help. Actually he didn't seem concerned at all that I have been feeling this bad as long as my apnea is under control. I asked what if it didn't help, what else can I do. He suggested try 6 more weeks and then try an oral appliance.

I slept 8 hours and thought I slept pretty well but woke up exhausted again, It seems the more hours I sleep with it at night the worse I feel! I'm about to give up any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sleeprider also suggested switching to Auto bipap but dr said I don't have that on my machine but the manual says Bipap Auto BiFlex so Im confused about if I have this or not.
I got the feeling the doc is giving up on my and it's not a good feeling

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:59 pm

Sleepyv wrote:the manual says Bipap Auto BiFlex so Im confused about if I have this or not
Many times the Manuals include more than one model. With Respironics you can tell by the REF# on the bottom of the blower. Make sure the water is out before you turn it over. If it is a 660 that is fixed bipap, if it is 760 that has both fixed and auto bipap. Also under your screen it will say Bipap Auto or Bipap Pro for the fixed model.
What pressures are you on now?

Sleepyv

Post by Sleepyv » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:09 pm

He didn't tell me the pressure but it starts at 6. it says Bipap auto -Bi-Flex under screen and under blower it says 760P.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:40 pm

Sleepyv wrote:He didn't tell me the pressure but it starts at 6. it says Bipap auto -Bi-Flex under screen and under blower it says 760P.
So yes you have an auto bipap and you are not confused. Don't know what your doctor's confusion or hesitation to use the auto mode is about.
The 6 pressure is the Ramp starting pressure. There should be settings for IPAP which is your Inhale pressure and a lower one EPAP for Exhale. You should be able to see these by going into your clinical setup menu or on Sleepyhead by reading your card.
You were previously on IPAP 12 cm and EPAP 8 cm from your Sleepyhead post.

Sleepyv

Post by Sleepyv » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:06 pm

My IPap 10, Epap 6, my AHI was 3.73