DreamStation - Connect to oxygen?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
zebrajeb

DreamStation - Connect to oxygen?

Post by zebrajeb » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:18 pm

Picked up a Dreamstation today. Unfortunately (stupid on my part), I didn't think to ask DME how to connect in oxygen with the heated hose. It will be Monday before I can talk to him again.

So, can you connect oxygen to Dreamstation without having to connect it where your mask connect or is that the only way? Do I have to not use the heated hose? My old Series M connected at the swivel which was nice.

Thanks

John
John

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: DreamStation - Connect to oxygen?

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:29 pm

A good DME should not have to be reminded to do something so essential.
Often a DME's Oxygen department has to provide service 24/7.
Oxygen users will be along shortly with full details, but you can plug it into the Liberty for now.
You can use soft scrunchies to keep your O2 tube parallel to your hose.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:41 pm

zebrajeb wrote:Picked up a Dreamstation today. Unfortunately (stupid on my part), I didn't think to ask DME how to connect in oxygen with the heated hose. It will be Monday before I can talk to him again.

So, can you connect oxygen to Dreamstation without having to connect it where your mask connect or is that the only way? Do I have to not use the heated hose? My old Series M connected at the swivel which was nice.
I can't think of a consumer cpap that has an oxygen port.

resmed offers an o2 port on one of their heated hoses for the S9 series, which is nice, and one of our enterprising members figured out how to modify the heated hose for his Airsense 10 to add an o2 port.

short of adding an o2 port to the connector on the hose, it's likely that your best bet will be to run a hose to one of the ports on the mask. use some velcro strips or other method to keep the hoses together, or a hose cover, like Chunky suggests.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:56 pm

ResMed Airsense and Aircurve 10 also has a ClimateLineAir Oxy Heated Tube for oxygen https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... ve-10.html but I couldn't find a Respironics one. If your DME doesn't have a solution you man want to think about ResMed.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

Roger2

Post by Roger2 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:06 pm

My oxygen line connects onto a "T" where it goes into the cpap machine at the hose connection. I am not sure what a dream station is but I don't think I have one.

Just curious, why are you on oxygen in the first place?

zebrajeb

Post by zebrajeb » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:56 pm

Thanks all for the responses. I know that I can connect my oxygen into the mask. I can also use my old adapter to connect it below the mask. As some of you noted, however, it means I'd have to somehow tie the oxygen line next to the hose to keep them from tangling up!

I'm betting Respironics hasn't come out yet with an adapter.

Thanks again for suggestions.

John
John

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:04 am

OkyDoky wrote:ResMed Airsense and Aircurve 10 also has a ClimateLineAir Oxy Heated Tube for oxygen https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... ve-10.html
Good to know, thanks.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:05 am

Roger2 wrote:My oxygen line connects onto a "T" where it goes into the cpap machine at the hose connection.?
you can't use those with a heated hose, because it doesn't carry across the electrical connections.

GettingBetter

Post by GettingBetter » Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:06 am

zebrajeb wrote:Thanks all for the responses. I know that I can connect my oxygen into the mask. I can also use my old adapter to connect it below the mask. As some of you noted, however, it means I'd have to somehow tie the oxygen line next to the hose to keep them from tangling up!

I'm betting Respironics hasn't come out yet with an adapter.

Thanks again for suggestions.

John
What I did is I purchased some velcro ties in a "wheel" so I can peel off one as I need them. I used these to keep my oxygen line neatly attached to my CPAP hose. I picked this up from office depot for like 7 bucks and used them all around the house to keep cords and such together neatly.

zebrajeb

Post by zebrajeb » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:34 am

Thanks for the suggestion GettingBetter. I'd thought of that too. Just seems like more to "fuss with" when using a CPAP is already enough - as I know from using one for 13 years.

I did contact Philips and they confirmed:

"Thank you for contacting us. Unfortunately, when using the heated hose, the only way to bleed-in oxygen is at the mask in order to make the connection between
the humidifier and the heated hose connections."

So if you use oxygen and get a new DreamMaker from Philips Respirionics, you will need to do something like GettingBetter suggested. I'm also wondering about using my old connector between hose and mask, and using a hose cover to keep everything in place. Wonder if that will impact how the heated hose works?

Thanks for responses.

John
John

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:55 am

zebrajeb wrote: I'm also wondering about using my old connector between hose and mask, and using a hose cover to keep everything in place. Wonder if that will impact how the heated hose works?
I don't believe using a cover would be a problem and some on here do because they like the feel or look of the cover rather than the tube. You would probably have an easier time putting it on with one that has a zipper.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

Wayne P

Post by Wayne P » Sun May 08, 2016 5:29 pm

Use a Soclean heated tube adapter. If you already use a Soclean put a tee and a second one way valve in the line to run both

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:22 am

This is remarkably stupid on DreamStation's part! PHILLIPS RESP It is true! There is no Heated Hose that allows a port for O2! NICE THINKING AHEAD ...RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT ! What is wrong with this company ? It is a hose needing an adaptor at the the connector to the machine not to my mask! You try to sleep with your design ! PHILLIPS ! WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOUR COMPANIES "ROLL OUT OF THE "DREAMSTATION" ? Without a heated hose, your product pushed water into my lungs causing me to arrive at the ER. I was placed on two Antibiotics to prevent lung infections!!! I could not stop treatment due to your agreement with Medicare that "I must comply for 21 days or I must pay for the equipment! MYSELF ! " I suffered thru 4 weeks but I am very angry... APRIA'S PHONES are answered in the Manilla !!!! ONLY ! And their settings, even when ordered by a Doctor are altered only thru "THE CLOUD" and it doesn't rain very often! Throughout many years Apria has sucked 10's of thousands of dollars out of this account and this year it will stop ! Think twice or perhaps three times if you are choosing a product I have warned you about!

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:36 am

Guest wrote:This is remarkably stupid on DreamStation's part! PHILLIPS RESP It is true! There is no Heated Hose that allows a port for O2! NICE THINKING AHEAD ...RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT ! What is wrong with this company ? It is a hose needing an adaptor at the the connector to the machine not to my mask! You try to sleep with your design ! PHILLIPS ! WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOUR COMPANIES "ROLL OUT OF THE "DREAMSTATION" ? Without a heated hose, your product pushed water into my lungs causing me to arrive at the ER. I was placed on two Antibiotics to prevent lung infections!!! I could not stop treatment due to your agreement with Medicare that "I must comply for 21 days or I must pay for the equipment! MYSELF ! " I suffered thru 4 weeks but I am very angry... APRIA'S PHONES are answered in the Manilla !!!! ONLY ! And their settings, even when ordered by a Doctor are altered only thru "THE CLOUD" and it doesn't rain very often! Throughout many years Apria has sucked 10's of thousands of dollars out of this account and this year it will stop ! Think twice or perhaps three times if you are choosing a product I have warned you about!
It's preferable and safer to attach the oxygen hose to a connector at the mask, not near the machine.
To attach it near an electrical/heated location could be a potential fire hazard.
Very simple and much cheaper. They typically look like these.

Maybe ResMed came up with a (expensive) heated hose with a connector, but I sure wouldn't want to use that setup.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Woody

Post by Woody » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:07 am

I use oxygen with my cpap too but about 8 years ago I bought my own
o2 concentrator so my new DME may not know I use oxygen. I picked
up a new DreamStation Auto monday and although it came with a heated
hose but decided to not use it. It wasn't till I read this post that I considered
the difficulty of adding oxygen with that heated hose. I know 3 or 4 days
is to short to draw any conclusions but it looks like this new machine is
giving me a lower AHI than the old one did.

Additional Comments: SleapyHead software