Mouth Popping Open (at the end of my rope)

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
mstg2000

Mouth Popping Open (at the end of my rope)

Post by mstg2000 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:36 am

First, About my situation:

45 Years Old
Cpap User for 7+ Years
Dentures
Full Beard

In the last few months, I have spent upwards of $500-600 trying different styles of masks, Head gear, chin straps, etc.. My mouth keeps popping open, waking me, or at the very least, drying me out.

Nasal Pillows work great on me, but leave my mouth open.
Nasal "Cup" always has sealing issues.
Chin strap keeps my jaw shut, but air escapes around teeth/dentures, and blows out anyways.
Full Face Mask, wont seal properly, leaving me gasping for air due to low pressure
Hybrid mask has nasal pillows and a mouth piece, but is not providing enough pressure, leaving gasping for air, again.
I've even tried taping my lips closed, but that balloons out my cheeks, waking me again.

What the heck can I do? My love my nasal pillows, but I have to find a way to keep air escaping through my mouth.

CinemaUnrest.com

Papit

Re: Mouth Popping Open (at the end of my rope)

Post by Papit » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:22 am

mstg2000 wrote:First, About my situation:

45 Years Old
Cpap User for 7+ Years
Dentures
Full Beard

In the last few months, I have spent upwards of $500-600 trying different styles of masks, Head gear, chin straps, etc.. My mouth keeps popping open, waking me, or at the very least, drying me out.

Nasal Pillows work great on me, but leave my mouth open.
Nasal "Cup" always has sealing issues.
Chin strap keeps my jaw shut, but air escapes around teeth/dentures, and blows out anyways.
Full Face Mask, wont seal properly, leaving me gasping for air due to low pressure
Hybrid mask has nasal pillows and a mouth piece, but is not providing enough pressure, leaving gasping for air, again.
I've even tried taping my lips closed, but that balloons out my cheeks, waking me again.

What the heck can I do? My love my nasal pillows, but I have to find a way to keep air escaping through my mouth.
I know it can be frustrasting. Sounds like you need to try different full face masks until you get the least leaks. You have a nice beard, but if you don't find a mask that gives you a decent seal, you may have to shave ole buddy.

PulseOx Data-transfer to OSCAR4-23-12http://tinyurl.com/nzd64gu
Wireless SD Card Data-transfer to OSCAR 8-14-15http://tiny.cc/z1kv8x

JDS74

Post by JDS74 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:17 am

Take a look at this mask.
Part of the head gear runs from the lips across the cheeks. It is a little higher than I suspect you need but illustrates the idea.
Perhaps you could make an adaption to one of the chin straps you now have to make a strap that runs directly across your cheeks to hold them in at night in a similar fashion.

It sounds as if you will have to do something in a custom build unless you want to lose that really great beard.

Oracle 452 Lessons Learned Updated
DSX900 AutoSV with HC150 extra humidifier and Hibernite heated hose
Settings: EPAP Min-10.0, EPAP Max-17, PS Min-3, PS Max-10, Max Pressure-20, Rate-Auto, Biflex-1.
Sleepyhead and Encore Pro 2.21.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:58 am

mstg2000 wrote:Hybrid mask has nasal pillows and a mouth piece, but is not providing enough pressure, leaving gasping for air, again.
If the mask is not leaking, and you can sleep with it, then turn the pressure up.

That's a very basic machine you are using. Any chance of buying a good auto machine that is data capable? We can help you find one at a decent price if you tell us your budget.

mstg2000

Post by mstg2000 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:14 am

Papit wrote:I know it can be frustrasting. Sounds like you need to try different full face masks until you get the least leaks. You have a nice beard, but if you don't find a mask that gives you a decent seal, you may have to shave ole buddy.
Somehow I know that Shaving may be my only hope here, but I'm realizing my desire to become a "real bearded Santa" - it's a life long dream. I know it's silly.. but, it's what I've always wanted to do and I'm willing to forego some comfort to achieve it. I've actually had thoughts of designing a mouth piece that would work to keep the jaw shut and lips from ballooning.

CinemaUnrest.com

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:01 am

The ballooning has to do with tongue position and not mouth leaks. If you place your tongue at the roof of your mouth with the tip just behind your teeth it will create a vacuum and keep the air going where it is supposed to go. Once you have that vacuum try to blow out your mouth.
Practice during the day breathing through your nose with your tongue placed there and for some it becomes a habit that carries over to night.
Another possibility that might help is a soft cervical collar to prevent jaw drop.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:39 am

My cervical collar isn't very soft but it helps a lot. I would try that before shaving. It may not work but it is worth trying.

Papit

Post by Papit » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:52 am

mstg2000 wrote:
Papit wrote:I know it can be frustrasting. Sounds like you need to try different full face masks until you get the least leaks. You have a nice beard, but if you don't find a mask that gives you a decent seal, you may have to shave ole buddy.
Somehow I know that Shaving may be my only hope here, but I'm realizing my desire to become a "real bearded Santa" - it's a life long dream. I know it's silly.. but, it's what I've always wanted to do and I'm willing to forego some comfort to achieve it. I've actually had thoughts of designing a mouth piece that would work to keep the jaw shut and lips from ballooning.
I think Pugsy used a mouth piece type of mask for awhile. If she doesn't jump in with some info on that, you might send her a PM. If memory holds, she had some good things to say about it. Here's an example of what I'm talking about.
http://www.directhomemedical.com/hc452- ... rTg_VgrKUk

PulseOx Data-transfer to OSCAR4-23-12http://tinyurl.com/nzd64gu
Wireless SD Card Data-transfer to OSCAR 8-14-15http://tiny.cc/z1kv8x

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:55 pm

mstg2000 wrote:What the heck can I do? My love my nasal pillows, but I have to find a way to keep air escaping through my mouth.
I've heard some people report they had luck with a mouth guard,chin strap combination, though not the kind of mouth guard that has a hole in the middle to breath through.

as okydoky alludes to, it's all a matter of keeping the air going down your throat, and not out your mouth... and some people have practiced doing that while awake, and gotten to where their throat is 'used to' (for want of a better phrase) doing that, so it does it in their sleep.

it's not (in my mind) actually your tongue that's the issue, but part of your nasopharyinx behind the tongue that directs air. I use a nasal pillow, and I can open my mouth, and stick out my tongue, and still not leak any air. or, I can, while under pressure, breath through my mouth, without any air leaking.

it's the same, involuntary action, that you use to control whether you breath through your nose, or your mouth. or, for instance, to blow up a balloon, (breathing through your mouth) without the air escaping through your nose.

I don't know how to tell you how to do it, sort of like those folks that can wiggle one eyebrow at a time...
but perhaps practicing with the mask on would help.

also, I second the notion of buying a better, fully data capable machine... some of the folks here have some available, or keep their eyes on craigslist for good used machines at good prices.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:56 pm

Shaving solved all my FFM leak problems... I know it's a leap of faith but it's clearly worked for others, including myself. Good sleep trumps all facial hair, at least as far as I'm concerned. Everybody has to decide for themselves (ain't freedom great?)

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

Chevie

Post by Chevie » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:20 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:That's a very basic machine you are using. Any chance of buying a good auto machine that is data capable? We can help you find one at a decent price if you tell us your budget.
+1

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:03 pm

Have you considered a TOTAL face mask.....https://www.cpap.com/productpage/respir ... dgear.html

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:03 pm

LSAT wrote:Have you considered a TOTAL face mask.....https://www.cpap.com/productpage/respir ... dgear.html
that looks like it would have just as much, if not more, beard problems than a ffm does.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:19 pm

LSAT wrote:Have you considered a TOTAL face mask.....https://www.cpap.com/productpage/respir ... dgear.html
You've taken to suggesting that mask lately. Why don't you try one before you encourage others?

mstg2000

Post by mstg2000 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:21 pm

Does anyone have experience with the Oral Mask? Seems that would solve all my problems.. if it works..
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/fisher ... -mask.html

I've spent so much money trying different masks in the last few months, i'm weary about buying another.. collecting quite a pile of them

CinemaUnrest.com