How Often Do I REALLY Need To Change Water In Reservoir?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
CPAPblows

How Often Do I REALLY Need To Change Water In Reservoir?

Post by CPAPblows » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:37 pm

So I just got a Resmed Airsense 10, and like it a lot. But what concerns me is that the rep who set it up for me said I had to change the water in the humidifier reservoir EVERY DAY! She said there would otherwise be a chance of respiratory infection because of my exhaled breath contaminating the water.

With my previous CPAP machine, I simply refilled the reservoir when it was nearly empty, about every three or four days or so, and cleaned it with water/vinegar every week or so. In five years, I haven't had any problems with respiratory infections. So what do you think? Do I REALLY Need To Change the Water In the Reservoir every day?

BlackSpinner

Re: How Often Do I REALLY Need To Change Water In Reservoir?

Post by BlackSpinner » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:45 pm

You should ask her how she thinks the bacteria can fight their way up wind along the hose!

Just clean it as needed.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:49 pm

Yes...

If you value the opinion of your rep.

Does your rep use xPAP and find changing the water daily helpful? If not it is a "cover your ass" comment.

You have to assess the risks involved. Changing the water every day minimizes any risk should the water become contaminated in any way. I am not sure how that would happen, but it could.

5 years of practical experience may make YOU the authority on this.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:51 pm

Blackspinner: +1000
DME employees are expected to carefully cover their butts.
And that of their boss. Business as usual.

GettingBetter

Post by GettingBetter » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:52 pm

CPAPblows wrote:So I just got a Resmed Airsense 10, and like it a lot. But what concerns me is that the rep who set it up for me said I had to change the water in the humidifier reservoir EVERY DAY! She said there would otherwise be a chance of respiratory infection because of my exhaled breath contaminating the water.

With my previous CPAP machine, I simply refilled the reservoir when it was nearly empty, about every three or four days or so, and cleaned it with water/vinegar every week or so. In five years, I haven't had any problems with respiratory infections. So what do you think? Do I REALLY Need To Change the Water In the Reservoir every day?
This is your call. If you didn't have problems before, you probably won't have problems now. Also, I think many maintenance/cleaning recommendations err on the side of caution to avoid litigation for lung-rot or having their product associated with lung-rot. If you aren't living like a garbage pail kid, never cleaning your mask and using your hose as a play tube for pet mice - well you are probably okay doing what you're doing.

Michelle-OH

Post by Michelle-OH » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:05 pm

My water needs refilled almost everyday, so I basically do what the rep said. Maybe my reservoir is smaller?

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:21 pm

Michelle-OH wrote:My water needs refilled almost everyday, so I basically do what the rep said. Maybe my reservoir is smaller?

Probably not smaller. I'm using almost a full reservoir a night this winter, with drier air, but in the summer I only used 1/3 to 1/2.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

bwexler

Post by bwexler » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:08 pm

GettingBetter wrote:
CPAPblows wrote:So I just got a Resmed Airsense 10, and like it a lot. But what concerns me is that the rep who set it up for me said I had to change the water in the humidifier reservoir EVERY DAY! She said there would otherwise be a chance of respiratory infection because of my exhaled breath contaminating the water.

This is your call. If you didn't have problems before, you probably won't have problems now. Also, I think many maintenance/cleaning recommendations err on the side of caution to avoid litigation for lung-rot or having their product associated with lung-rot. If you aren't living like a garbage pail kid, never cleaning your mask and using your hose as a play tube for pet mice - well you are probably okay doing what you're doing.

You mean I was not supposed to do all those things for the past 5 years?
And I still never had any problems.

Cerulean60

Post by Cerulean60 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:47 am

My DME said the same, but the cheap side of me said otherwise. Why dump out the remaining 1/3 or so of the reservoir every night? Distilled water isn't free. I just add and return the water to the full line. I've done a complete cleaning a couple times.

MrGrumpy

Post by MrGrumpy » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:52 am

You are what they call "trash." If you dont change your water EVERY NIGHT, you are a lazy POS. No wonder you have sleep apnea.

Never heard this question asked before, anywhere. Man, this is the epitome of laziness. Asking if you "have to change your water or not." LMFAO

What are you? Some sort of retard or something?

Yeah, YOU CHANGE THE WATER EVERY SINGLE NIGHT. OTHERWISE, YOU WILL GET BACTERIA BUILDUP IN THAT WATER AND GET SINUS INFECTIONS. These humidifiers get nasty. You also NEED to clean that humidifier pot weekly with Ivory soap first and warm water, then soak it in a vinegar solution for at least 45 minutes and then rinse thoroughly.

I bet your fat ass looks like about 150 pounds of chewed bubble gum
Id be dead by now if I didn't use my CPAP gear every night.

jonny515

Post by jonny515 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:54 am

Glad to read this. I went thru 2 nights without changing it. I still lived after night 3. Maybe just borrowed time? Just raised the amt. of humidification, so I didn't see what I actually used.

MrGrumpy

Post by MrGrumpy » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:57 am

water in a heated humidifer pot not changed for days = bacteria buildup

bacteria buildup blown thru a hose and mask into your respiratory tract = respiratory infection

This is the most stupid question Ive ever read on a CPAP forum. "Do I really need to change my water in my humidifier." Thats like asking, "when I go to McDonalds, should I go in the restroom and lick toilet seats?" LMFAO

Nasty...

A gallon of distilled water costs a buck and lasts me a week. If you cant afford that, you cant afford to be on CPAP.
Id be dead by now if I didn't use my CPAP gear every night.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:02 pm

MrGrumpy, do you kiss your mother with that mouth?
Personal attacks have no place on this forum.
Please behave.

Last edited by chunkyfrog on Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:03 pm

MrGrumpy wrote:You are what they call "trash." If you dont change your water EVERY NIGHT, you are a lazy POS. No wonder you have sleep apnea.

Never heard this question asked before, anywhere. Man, this is the epitome of laziness. Asking if you "have to change your water or not." LMFAO

What are you? Some sort of retard or something?

Yeah, YOU CHANGE THE WATER EVERY SINGLE NIGHT. OTHERWISE, YOU WILL GET BACTERIA BUILDUP IN THAT WATER AND GET SINUS INFECTIONS. These humidifiers get nasty. You also NEED to clean that humidifier pot weekly with Ivory soap first and warm water, then soak it in a vinegar solution for at least 45 minutes and then rinse thoroughly.

I bet your fat ass looks like about 150 pounds of chewed bubble gum
{{{Saved, in case the poster deletes, then tries to deny offensive post.}}}

jcp1957@yahoo.com

Post by jcp1957@yahoo.com » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:07 pm

Is MrGrumpy serious or is he being sarcastic.? If he is serious than he definitely is the biggest moron on this forum. If he is sarcastic than he is slightlyless of a moron.