How Often Do I REALLY Need To Change Water In Reservoir?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jonny515

Re: How Often Do I REALLY Need To Change Water In Reservoir?

Post by jonny515 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:09 pm

I thought the exhaled breath goes out the mask? Maybe I am wrong but it sure seems like that (I can feel the air escaping, but have no leaks).

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:13 pm

Exhaled air does NOT go down the tube;
it is VENTED out through the mask.

Slightly over 200 posts since March, 2008, hmmmm.
There have been DOZENS of threads discussing this question.
Not to mention that a large number of sinus infections are VIRAL.
Fact: bacteria and fungus can grow in the tank; but periodic cleaning is usually sufficient,
depending on water purity, room temperature, frequency of cleaning,
and normal immunity.

Last edited by chunkyfrog on Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CPAPblows

Post by CPAPblows » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:21 pm

I better sum this up before trolls like Mr Grumpy ruin it. (there, you got noticed, lonely as^hole!!) It seems like if I don't develop any symptoms, and no film or discoloration appears in the chamber, that I can fill the chamber and let it get close to empty in 2 or 3 days before emptying, cleaning, and refilling it. Thanks for your thoughts.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:29 pm

There is such a thing as depriving your immune system of "practice" to keep it healthy.
The key is moderation. Both ways.
I check my leftover water every day.
If it looks, smells, or feels a bit "off", hot water and Dawn with a clean bottle brush, then a good rinsing.
Welcome to the party.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:33 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Slightly over 200 posts since March, 2008, hmmmm.
There have been DOZENS of threads discussing this question.
as you know, trolls don't read information...

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Dead

Post by Dead » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:38 pm

Honestly how hard is it to dump the water and let it dry out daily?

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:44 pm

Dead wrote:Honestly how hard is it to dump the water and let it dry out daily?
if you're going with CYA DME instructions, (which also include soap and watering your mask, headgear and hose *EVERY DAY*, then, well, it does become rather time consuming.

if you're using distilled water, why bother?

if you're using tap water, it's a good idea to dump it every day to avoid buildup of scale.

this thread was answered, sufficiently, by the second reply.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:45 pm

CPAPblows wrote:I better sum this up before trolls like Mr Grumpy ruin it. (there, you got noticed, lonely as^hole!!) It seems like if I don't develop any symptoms, and no film or discoloration appears in the chamber, that I can fill the chamber and let it get close to empty in 2 or 3 days before emptying, cleaning, and refilling it. Thanks for your thoughts.
like the cooler heads at the start of the thread said, CYA instructions from the DME.... keep on doing what works for you, there's nothing 'special' about the new machine that requires special handling in this department.

Dead

Post by Dead » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:00 pm

palerider wrote:
Dead wrote:Honestly how hard is it to dump the water and let it dry out daily?
if you're going with CYA DME instructions, (which also include soap and watering your mask, headgear and hose *EVERY DAY*, then, well, it does become rather time consuming.

if you're using distilled water, why bother?

if you're using tap water, it's a good idea to dump it every day to avoid buildup of scale.

this thread was answered, sufficiently, by the second reply.

I use distilled water and dump it. I don't fill it up fully, just to about 1/4 and it's usually almost empty by the time I get up anyway to minimal water is wasted.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:04 pm

Dead wrote:I use distilled water and dump it. I don't fill it up fully, just to about 1/4 and it's usually almost empty by the time I get up anyway to minimal water is wasted.
it's great you have a system that works for you!
normally, I use no water whatsoever. sometimes I don't even have the humidifier hooked up... but I know that doesn't work for everybody. when I DO use water (when I've got a cold or other respiratory problem) I do fill up the reservoir, since I don't know exactly how much water I'm going to use, and water use varies with the weather, and I'd rather not run out.

again, to each his/her own.

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:28 pm

Top off every night with distilled water only, never really dump out the remainder. Rinse it every month or so, never clean the hose. 10+ years now on cpap.
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

yippeekia

Post by yippeekia » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:06 pm

How clean is clean enough depends on many things. There is a threshold that is based on science. For example if it is growing something and that something is a human pathogen, then it needs to be cleaner. But much of how we view cleanliness is socially constructed and very complex. It can depend on your family of origin. Your momma taught you when it was clean enough. It can depend on your experiences. If it made you sick before, it isn't clean enough. It can depend on your expectations. It is medical equipment and medical equipment should be _________. (Fill in the blank)

There is a great book about this very subject. Comfort, Cleanliness and Convenience: The Social Organization of Normality . In researching past posts on this forum, people are all over the place in what they describe as clean enough. Clearly something more than science is involved. So, I think it is a very personal decision that is based on many factors. I found myself resisting the advice from others that differs from my own belief systems. While on most other topics on this forum, I have respected and accepted much of the advice found here.

I am not connected to the book, but would encourage anyone who is interested in thinking about how and why they reached their own conclusions about how clean, is clean enough to explore the social and cultural aspects of their decision making.

Another interesting supposition the author makes is that the expectations of cleanliness have dramatically changed over time. It would be interesting to know if members cleaning rituals correlate with age. Expectations of cleanliness have increased dramatically since the turn of the century.

Interesting stuff. So my advice. Expend the resources such as time, money, and energy to clean it to the point where you won't get sick and that you are content. That is what I am doing.

Best Wishes for your Health!

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:47 pm

Keep in mind that your rep does not know your home conditions. If you are happy with what you are doing, then keep doing it. While some will disagree with me, I think you should empty, clean and dry your humidifier once a week. Is it going to kill you if you don't? Probably not. I don't know what your health is like or your home conditions, so I don't know if it will make a difference. Neither does the rep.

I haven't had a cpap for long (7 months), but I noticed a slimey buildup after a couple of days during warm weather. Is it the water? Is it bacteria? I don't know, but I don't want to breathe it in, so out it went. Thus, I changed my water daily. Since we turned on the furnace, most of the water is gone by morning anyway, so I dump the remainder in my plant and let the humidifer dry during the day. I wash my stuff once a week. Oh, and the plant is doing better than usual.

Finally, I would add that the respiratory therapist at the hospital mentioned that since the hospital started asking patients to bring in their own xpaps, they have been amazed at how poorly cared for these machines and equipment are. Some people have never cleaned their humidifers...and it shows.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

Cathyann

Post by Cathyann » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:52 pm

Krelvin wrote:Top off every night with distilled water only, never really dump out the remainder. Rinse it every month or so, never clean the hose. 10+ years now on cpap.
This is what I do as well.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:06 pm

Years ago, I followed the directions, washing my Swift FX pillows DAILY, per instructions.
I was lucky to get two weeks use out of a new set.
Then, I went on vacation, using unscented baby wipes.
Upon returning, I continued with the wipes.
The lifespan of my pillows more than DOUBLED!
As mentioned by others, YMMV (your mileage may vary).