OT: Windows 10 becoming automatic download

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: OT: Windows 10 becoming automatic download

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:44 am

I guess it's time to dig out my Windows machine and see if maybe I don't hate it any more.

RandyJ

Post by RandyJ » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:43 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:
I put off upgrading because alarmists ...

The upgrade was flawless and there are a few added features that are nice.

I have yet to see anything put out by Microsoft certifying that all software that works on Windows 7 will work equally well on Windows 10 (I'm suspecting they cannot make that assertion).

All you need is one piece of software to not play nice on the new OS and it can cost you THOUSANDS in IT support (assuming the problem can be fixed).

I will definitely upgrade as soon as I know that it will not be an issue for legacy software that is essential to the business.

Alt masks Swift FX pillows, Mirage FX nasal mask, Mirage Quattro full face mask

library lady

Post by library lady » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:57 am

My Win10 upgrade automatically installed... took a very long time, which I guess is expected for something that large. It was seamless; all of my software except one was compatible. As soon as that one software program is ready for Win10, I can install it online with my registration key at no charge. Sleepyhead is working just like it always did. I like 10 now that I've gotten used to it, but I do miss IE, which I can go back to via the three dots in upper right, under the close button. Every time I go online it defaults back to Edge, and I have to tell it to open with IE if I want a Home button.

Now using AirFit F10 mask; Quattro Air is backup mask. RemZzzz mask liners with both.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:14 am

RandyJ wrote:
ChicagoGranny wrote:
I put off upgrading because alarmists ...

The upgrade was flawless and there are a few added features that are nice.

I have yet to see anything put out by Microsoft certifying that all software that works on Windows 7 will work equally well on Windows 10 (I'm suspecting they cannot make that assertion).

All you need is one piece of software to not play nice on the new OS and it can cost you THOUSANDS in IT support (assuming the problem can be fixed).

I will definitely upgrade as soon as I know that it will not be an issue for legacy software that is essential to the business.
It seems like it wasn't obvious to you that I was talking about home use.

RandyJ wrote:All you need is one piece of software to not play nice on the new OS and it can cost you THOUSANDS in IT support (assuming the problem can be fixed).
If your risk is high, you might want to get advice from someplace besides a CPAP forum.

RandyJ

Post by RandyJ » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:49 am

ChicagoGranny wrote: It seems like it wasn't obvious to you that I was talking about home use.

RandyJ wrote:All you need is one piece of software to not play nice on the new OS and it can cost you THOUSANDS in IT support (assuming the problem can be fixed).
If your risk is high, you might want to get advice from someplace besides a CPAP forum.

No problem. I never make assumptions about what other people might mean or intend beyond the words that are actually written on the page. Dangerous practice.

I'm not looking for advice here regarding computers at all. You may have confused me with what someone else has written.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:53 am

I did not understand why you quoted me in your first post.

RandyJ

Post by RandyJ » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:02 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:I did not understand why you quoted me in your first post.

Your original post stated that all went flawlessly with your upgrade to Windows 10, which you had delayed because of 'alarmists.'

I replied to your post to provide the additional point of view that there are valid reasons for not upgrading, such as legacy software that may not be compatible.

No offense was intended.

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:21 pm

RandyJ wrote: No offense was intended.
Sometimes being an alarmist is a good thing... especially in regards to MS. I've been burned by them a bunch of times and I am totally sick of it. That said, not sick enough to jump to Mac. <sigh>

Like Big Dave suggested I installed GWX win 10 preventer. So far it's worked good. It found no Win 10 files pre-downloaded on my laptop, so that's encouraging news. I set it up to prevent all other attempts to load Win 10. Here's the screen grab of my settings. Read the user guide first and the FAQ's at Ultimate Outsider, the author's website. I've heard it is best to get the install version because it monitors your downloads etc and alerts you about Win 10 attempts to download and install... kinda the whole point really. Be sure to get the legit INSTALL version 1.7.2. at - it fine and has no nag-ware or trojans:

http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/
Use at your own risk, naturally. Also: this is a good primer article:

https://askleo.com/block-windows-10-wit ... rol-panel/

Last edited by Sir NoddinOff on Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:27 pm

RandyJ wrote:No offense was intended.
None taken.

WearyOne

Post by WearyOne » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:42 pm

Sir NoddinOff, I thought about using that GWX Control Panel, but have yet to do so. I tend to get myself in trouble sometimes downloading stuff that I'm not sure how to "work," even if it's from a reliable source. A while back, I read that if you delete three different Win7 updates that you won't get the download and that stupid icon reminder will no longer show up. I did that, and since it worked to make the icon disappear, I assume the rest of it worked as well and that nothing has downloaded and hiding! I DO NOT use automatic updates on anything except my antivirus virus definitions. I like to look at what is being updated before I update...LOL!

I use my computer for my business of almost 20 years and use some free programs that are great and I can't really do without. Not taking a chance that they won't work with 10, so don't want to upgrade, at least now. I tend to stick with an operating system I like as long as I can if it's doing everything I need. (I still have XP on my backup computer.)

Pam

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:23 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:I guess it's time to dig out my Windows machine and see if maybe I don't hate it any more.

no no, you'll still hate it.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Papit

Post by Papit » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:41 am

Win 10 is working well for me with both ResScan and SH. You can choose to operate it with a Win 7 start button menu if you want to avoid initial frustration with the changes. I am only using Win 10 on my machine that has 8 GB of RAM. If you have less, you might find it to be sluggish. You can revert to Win 7 or 8 within the first 30 days after downloading.

PulseOx Data-transfer to OSCAR4-23-12http://tinyurl.com/nzd64gu
Wireless SD Card Data-transfer to OSCAR 8-14-15http://tiny.cc/z1kv8x

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:22 am

Thanks for posting the info. A few months back, I bought a used desktop computer that had windows 10. I hated it. There were certain things that looked different or worked differently,, and I could not find any way to change them back to the windows 7 way of working or looking. I was constantly irritated with it. After 2 weeks, the hard drive died. I bought a new hard drive and windows 7. Much happier. I just switched my laptop setting to not install automatically. I do NOT want windows 10.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:35 am

Anybody who's planning on going to Win 10 should definitely watch this video on Five Reasons to Avoid Win 10:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOSLCxMUM6Y

Stay informed and THEN make a decision.

He also includes five reasons why you might like Win 10.

Also, anybody who doubts the honesty of GWX's creator (Josh) might like to read the comments or the blog section at his website at Ultimate Outsider... he's been doing this stuff for a long time and is totally devoted to several computer causes. AGAIN, some people are ripping off his GWX control panel program, so get a clean version only from the Ultimate Outsider website:

BTW, it's totally free.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

Papit

Post by Papit » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:11 pm

Sir NoddinOff wrote:Anybody who's planning on going to Win 10 should definitely watch this video on Five Reasons to Avoid Win 10:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOSLCxMUM6Y

Stay informed and THEN make a decision.

He also includes five reasons why you might like Win 10.

Also, anybody who doubts the honesty of GWX's creator (Josh) might like to read the comments or the blog section at his website at Ultimate Outsider... he's been doing this stuff for a long time and is totally devoted to several computer causes. AGAIN, some people are ripping off his GWX control panel program, so get a clean version only from the Ultimate Outsider website:

BTW, it's totally free.
+1 kudos for giving us the ultimateoutsider link, http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/. It's works well for those who don't want to download Windows 10 and makes it easy to once and for all get rid of the 'get Windows 10' icon from the notification field in the lower right section of the task bar.

PulseOx Data-transfer to OSCAR4-23-12http://tinyurl.com/nzd64gu
Wireless SD Card Data-transfer to OSCAR 8-14-15http://tiny.cc/z1kv8x