OT: Windows 10 becoming automatic download

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
RandyJ

OT: Windows 10 becoming automatic download

Post by RandyJ » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:06 am

I hope I am passing along good info... It seems that Microsoft is making Windows 10 a Recommended Update which would download automatically through Windows Update for computers running Windows 7 and newer (if you have Automatic Updates enabled and a certain box checked in your Settings), which could cause some people to install it without realizing. If you have software that is not compatible with Windows 10 (and I'm not sure where Sleepyhead and the other machine reading softwares are with this), it could be a problem if you install Windows 10 too early.

Read more here: http://www.extremetech.com/computing/22 ... c-download

Or here: http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/windo ... -1.3430469

Alt masks Swift FX pillows, Mirage FX nasal mask, Mirage Quattro full face mask

sptrout

Re: OT: Windows 10 becoming automatic download

Post by sptrout » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:25 am

Not sure about the automatic 7 to W10 upgrade, but Sleepyhead works fine with W10. I have two computers that are using both W10 and Sleepyhead and have not had any problems with either machine.

Last edited by sptrout on Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 w/Humidifier
Mask Make & Model: ResMed, AirFit P10
CPAP Pressure: 6-9
CPAP Reporting Software: OSCAR/Sleepyhead & SleepHQ

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:41 am

That's news to me thanks for the update. I have one computer that I want to save Windows 7 on for the Media Center.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

sleepyhead6867

Post by sleepyhead6867 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:02 am

Upgraded my 2 windows 8.1 laptop's to windows 10 both seem fine so far actually like windows 10 has some nice features

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:12 am

We locked down our computers. We have too much software that won't dance nicely with the upgrade version. Between s dictation software, publishing software,animation software, and all the office software we are not taking any risks.

But my personal computer runs Ubuntu for playing on the net.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

big_dave

Post by big_dave » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:13 am

If you want to stay on Windows 7 or 8, you can download GWX Control Panel. Works great!

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:33 am

sptrout wrote:Not sure about the automatic 7 to W10 upgrade, but Sleephead works fine with W10. I have two computers that are using both W10 and Sleephead and have not had any problems with either machine.
+1

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:03 pm

big_dave wrote:If you want to stay on Windows 7 or 8, you can download GWX Control Panel. Works great!
I read some reports that several various tools like this were defeated by new efforts from MS to install Win 10. Anyone care to comment on this. I personally haven't tried GWX but it sounds interesting, so I downloaded it and plan to install it as soon as I get confirmation that it still works okay.
RandyJ wrote:I hope I am passing along good info... It seems that Microsoft is making Windows 10 a Recommended Update which would download automatically through Windows Update for computers running Windows 7 and newer
Thanks for the heads up Randy... what are you planning to do about this situation.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

archangle

Post by archangle » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:52 pm

Supposedly, it won't actually install Win10 without asking. It will download it, but not install it.

Unless you accidentally click the wrong button when it asks. Or it pops up when you're doing something else or typing and it takes that as a yes. Or if there's a bug. Or if Microsoft changes the way it works, etc.

Also, if it does install, in theory, you have an option to undo the upgrade.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:49 pm

This image below pops up, at least that's what I saw on some forums, instead of the usual small Win 10 nag-box at the bottom near the tooL-bar. I heard it pops up a lot while you're working on your computer. I annotated this pic with what I think one should do if it appears. Hope I don't ever see it cuz my wife is pretty naive about operating systems and stuff... she still doesn't understand directory structure, no matter how many times I explain it. Different OS products = forget it.

SEE EDIT NOTE BELOW: I also read that there is no uninstall if you do accidentally install Win 10.... you have to format your HD and reinstall your old OS, copy back your files etc. LATER EDIT: My understanding now is that there is a 30-day trial period where you can still uninstall it and MS will automatically restore your old setup and OS. Tho I don't know if I'd trust that to work correctly. I did read a report or two that this dialog box above will time-out and install automatically if you wait too long... also typing accidentally can install it, it takes the keystokes for a yes, or so I heard. Not hard to do if you have multiple windows open.

Last edited by Sir NoddinOff on Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

amenite

Post by amenite » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:25 pm

I'll be avoiding Windows 10 for the most part. Even more so if they manage to slip it past me when I'm opting out. I'll probably have to have a Windows 10 machine of some kind at some time in the future but it may well wind up being a VM.

idamtnboy

Post by idamtnboy » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:13 pm

archangle wrote:Also, if it does install, in theory, you have an option to undo the upgrade.
For 30 days, but that's it.

zen42

Post by zen42 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:51 pm

I installed it on 2 computers. I then uninstalled it on day 29 on one of them with no
problem and it didn't take long at all. But I let the other computer get to day 31 and
it was to late to uninstalls it. Well that's why I had made a complete backup before
I tried it.

RandyJ

Post by RandyJ » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:19 am

Sir NoddinOff wrote:Thanks for the heads up Randy... what are you planning to do about this situation.
I have disabled automatic update on all of our computers at work. Since I'm not up on Windows 10, I don't know if there are any compatibility issues with software we are currently using with Windows 7.

It will be an annoyance, but for now I'll apply critical updates manually to avoid any unwelcome headaches that would require a visit from outside IT gurus.

Alt masks Swift FX pillows, Mirage FX nasal mask, Mirage Quattro full face mask

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:18 am

sleepyhead6867 wrote:Upgraded my 2 windows 8.1 laptop's to windows 10 both seem fine so far actually like windows 10 has some nice features
Same here.

I put off upgrading because alarmists ...

The upgrade was flawless and there are a few added features that are nice.