Meds

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Noctuary

Meds

Post by Noctuary » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:59 pm

So I'm going to the doctor tomorrow. Can anyone recommend a good medication that helps with fatigue? I tried Provigil once and that did nothing. I found out today that I will be working 10 hour days, probably for a very long time. Its a struggle as it is to get through the day with this constant tiredness; I don't know how I can handle this overtime.

I adjusted my pressure up. I've adjusted my pressure down. I've widened and shortened the range, posted a dozen or more "sleepy head" screen shots, got blood work done, and still I'm wiped out everyday. Desperate here.

Mask: Flexifit 407

Julie

Re: Meds

Post by Julie » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:55 pm

"So I'm going to the doctor tomorrow. Can anyone recommend a good medication that helps with fatigue?"

Doesn't that strike you as odd?

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:03 pm

Noctuary wrote:So I'm going to the doctor tomorrow. Can anyone recommend a good medication that helps with fatigue? I tried Provigil once and that did nothing. I found out today that I will be working 10 hour days, probably for a very long time. Its a struggle as it is to get through the day with this constant tiredness; I don't know how I can handle this overtime.

I adjusted my pressure up. I've adjusted my pressure down. I've widened and shortened the range, posted a dozen or more "sleepy head" screen shots, got blood work done, and still I'm wiped out everyday. Desperate here.
have you tried asking on apneaboard? while this board focuses more on cpap therapy and optimizing it (not to say that there isn't a wealth of other information) apneaboard has a broader focus, on other aspects of sleep and other treatments, and you might get some new suggestions over there.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Noctuary

Post by Noctuary » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:23 pm

Julie wrote:"So I'm going to the doctor tomorrow. Can anyone recommend a good medication that helps with fatigue?"

Doesn't that strike you as odd?
I meant something I can bring up to the doctor, just to inquire about. They used to have a tv on in their lobby that looped drug ads on that CNN health channel; you know, those "ask your doctor if Brand X is right for you".

Noctuary

Post by Noctuary » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:25 pm

palerider wrote:
Noctuary wrote:So I'm going to the doctor tomorrow. Can anyone recommend a good medication that helps with fatigue? I tried Provigil once and that did nothing. I found out today that I will be working 10 hour days, probably for a very long time. Its a struggle as it is to get through the day with this constant tiredness; I don't know how I can handle this overtime.

have you tried asking on apneaboard? while this board focuses more on cpap therapy and optimizing it (not to say that there isn't a wealth of other information) apneaboard has a broader focus, on other aspects of sleep and other treatments, and you might get some new suggestions over there.
I'm banned there for using an expletive. I didn't insult anyone, just describing my inebriation one weekend. The mod said they are a "family values" forum (though I grew up in a family where cuss words were sprinkled throughout the discourse.)

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:48 pm

Noctuary wrote:I'm banned there (apneaboard) for using an expletive. I didn't insult anyone, just describing my inebriation one weekend. The mod said they are a "family values" forum (though I grew up in a family where cuss words were sprinkled throughout the discourse.)
perhaps the ban was temporary, have you tried going back and behaving according to the rules?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Noctuary

Post by Noctuary » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:57 pm

palerider wrote:
Noctuary wrote:I'm banned there (apneaboard) for using an expletive. I didn't insult anyone, just describing my inebriation one weekend. The mod said they are a "family values" forum (though I grew up in a family where cuss words were sprinkled throughout the discourse.)
perhaps the ban was temporary, have you tried going back and behaving according to the rules?
the ban is not temporary.

Last edited by Noctuary on Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My machine: ResMed S9 Auto/H5i humidifier; in APAP mode- pressure range 8-13

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:59 pm

I know what you meant, but the way you wrote it was just so ... perfect I couldn't resist... sorry!

jonny515

Post by jonny515 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:07 pm

I think drug ads are highly odd. I don't think a civilized country would allow them, but then again who said we were civilized?

Julie wrote::lol: I know what you meant, but the way you wrote it was just so ... perfect I couldn't resist... sorry!

Noctuary

Post by Noctuary » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:17 pm

I have a 'script for Cymbalta.

49er

Post by 49er » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:31 pm

Noctuary wrote:I have a 'script for Cymbalta.
Why did the doc prescribe this particular med since it is an antidepressant?

staphkiller

Post by staphkiller » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:45 pm

I would recommend asking about Nuvigil. HOWEVER, I would also ask as many questions as possible about side effects. I have several prescriptions (different doses) for Nuvigil. While it works wonders and is the answer to my excessive daytime sleepiness not due to apnea, the side effects are debilitating to me. Ceaseless canker sores, dry mouth, TEETH GRINDING all day long. Can't function like that. But the drug does work. Avoid the amphetamines if you can. Nuvigil, for me, was not addicting (not currently taking it until the dozen or so canker sores disappear). Good luck!

Additional Comments: 2009, first sleep study (paid by ins), 2014, second sleep study (not paid by insurance)
-------
staphkiller
Microbiologist, IT Manager, sleepy guy

Noctuary

Post by Noctuary » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:51 pm

49er wrote:

I don't know. Tried Provigil before and it didn't do a thing for me.

Noctuary

Post by Noctuary » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:53 pm

staphkiller wrote:I would recommend asking about Nuvigil. HOWEVER, I would also ask as many questions as possible about side effects. I have several prescriptions (different doses) for Nuvigil. While it works wonders and is the answer to my excessive daytime sleepiness not due to apnea, the side effects are debilitating to me. Ceaseless canker sores, dry mouth, TEETH GRINDING all day long. Can't function like that. But the drug does work. Avoid the amphetamines if you can. Nuvigil, for me, was not addicting (not currently taking it until the dozen or so canker sores disappear). Good luck!
I tried Provigil and it didn't work at all.

49er

Post by 49er » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:41 pm

Noctuary wrote:
49er wrote:

I don't know. Tried Provigil before and it didn't do a thing for me.
Noctuary,

I don't mean to sound harsh but you need to find out what you can expect from this med. You also might want to take a look at these links:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=c ... withdrawal

I know, you can't believe everything you read on the Internet but you still might want to take a look. In my travels on AD withdrawal boards, cymbalta seemed to be one of the tougher ADs to withdraw from.

My point is that if this med does not offer clear benefits to you in dealing with fatigue, then I am not sure the risks of having to deal with what might become a horrible withdrawal is worth it. Obviously, it is your call.

49er