can never get a full night with cpap

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
beanz1910

can never get a full night with cpap

Post by beanz1910 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:44 pm

Hey everyone. I was given a cpap cpap respironics system one machine about 2 years ago. i dont think iv gone one full night with sleeping with it on! i have tried many many times and at time i give up on long month breaks from it.

I am a mouth breather since i have a deviated steptum but i had surgery to fix my nose but still a mouth sleeper. Never in my life have i done otherwise. So i was given a full face mask. I dont know what im doing wrong.

Every time i try and use my full face mask. im layin in bed watching tv with it on breathing no problem. Ill use it for about an hour before i shut everything off and try and sleep. Once i do so im laying there trying to sleep. I dont think iv ever fallen asleep with it on in my life. Ill get about 30 minutes into almost falling asleep and i get SO claustrophobic and the feeling like i cant breathe out at!! Ill pretty much rip it off my face and sleep without it.

I dont know if im doing something wrong or i have the wrong settings? I have tried many different pressures thinking its a pressure issue. I have tried form 7 pressure to 16 pressure and its always the same claustrophobic feeling and ill rip it off.

I would hope someone can help me since i have had sleep apnea for years and i honestly have NO idea how it feels to sleep a full night with a cpap machine to see if it helps with my next day energy.

Any questions about my settings or anything please ask!
PR SystemOne Remstar Auto 560 Auto‑CPAP
mask - Amara Full Face CPAP Mask
Pressure -Auto with min 11.5

mommydear

Re: can never get a full night with cpap

Post by mommydear » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:39 am

Maybe switching to a nasal pillow mask & a chin strap instead would work better. There are many to choose from. Although I'm not claustrophobic I never even thought about using a full face mask.

beanz1910

Post by beanz1910 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:45 am

mommydear wrote:Maybe switching to a nasal pillow mask & a chin strap instead would work better. There are many to choose from. Although I'm not claustrophobic I never even thought about using a full face mask.

i honestly cant. I dont think i ever slept using only my nose. I started out using nasal pillows and realized i cant do it, at all. I pretty much cant breathe out of my nose at night when i sleep. my mouth is always open breathing when i sleep.

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:01 am

Have you ever tried a sleep aid like Ambien? After giving up after about an hour the first night of cpap, I used Ambien for about a week just to get my body used to sleeping with mask on, and that really helped me. When I stopped using Ambien after a week, I could go to sleep without it. I still usually take the mask off after about 6 hours on days that I can't get back to sleep with the mask on, but I'm okay with that.

Anyways, it's worth a try, if you can take Ambien (or another sleep aid) for a while.

49er

Post by 49er » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:27 am

beanz1910 wrote:Hey everyone. I was given a cpap cpap respironics system one machine about 2 years ago. i dont think iv gone one full night with sleeping with it on! i have tried many many times and at time i give up on long month breaks from it.

I am a mouth breather since i have a deviated steptum but i had surgery to fix my nose but still a mouth sleeper. Never in my life have i done otherwise. So i was given a full face mask. I dont know what im doing wrong.

Every time i try and use my full face mask. im layin in bed watching tv with it on breathing no problem. Ill use it for about an hour before i shut everything off and try and sleep. Once i do so im laying there trying to sleep. I dont think iv ever fallen asleep with it on in my life. Ill get about 30 minutes into almost falling asleep and i get SO claustrophobic and the feeling like i cant breathe out at!! Ill pretty much rip it off my face and sleep without it.

I dont know if im doing something wrong or i have the wrong settings? I have tried many different pressures thinking its a pressure issue. I have tried form 7 pressure to 16 pressure and its always the same claustrophobic feeling and ill rip it off.

I would hope someone can help me since i have had sleep apnea for years and i honestly have NO idea how it feels to sleep a full night with a cpap machine to see if it helps with my next day energy.

Any questions about my settings or anything please ask!
Have you considered this mask, https://www.cpap.com/productpage/respir ... dgear.html as it doesn't press on the nasal area and may feel less claustrophobic even though it covers your whole face? Sheriff, a forum member, wears this one and is always happy to share fitting tips. I hope he sees this thread. If not, you might want to PM him.

englandsf

Post by englandsf » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:00 am

Back to basics - did you have a full sleep lab and a titration study ?

Which mask are you trying to use and who fitted you for it?

What were you original pressure settings - high and low?

Let us know so we can try to help...

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:46 am

englandsf wrote:Back to basics - did you have a full sleep lab and a titration study ?

Which mask are you trying to use and who fitted you for it?

What were you original pressure settings - high and low?

Let us know so we can try to help...
We do need to know this especially your machine and settings. There may be some settings that can be changed to help that "can't breath out feeling".
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

beanz1910

Post by beanz1910 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:03 pm

Thank you everyone for your replays!

I have had a sleep study years back and that is why i was given a cpap machine. I have also had a divated septum surgery and a tonsillectomy to help with my sleep apnea as well. Still sleep apnea with all the things done to me lol.

So the machine im using is a system one Respironics with a humidifier.

http://www.gocpap.com/philips-respironi ... or-203-00/

that is the mask im using.

I put the cpap pressure setting on about 11 and the humidifier level on 2.

I dont know much about the machine to tell you other settings. I dont use the ramp level setting since i dont like that.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:11 pm

To identify the machine what we need is the REF# on the bottom of the blower, not the humidifier. Be sure and take out the water before you turn it over.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

70sSanO

Post by 70sSanO » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:37 pm

Just wondering... Did you have the surgeries after your sleep study?

If you have a straight pressure CPAP machine and the study was done prior to the surgeries, the original pressure may be off and without an APAP, it is really hard to find the right pressure for you and try to get you sleeping in the first place. You may want to get a new study so you'll have a current baseline.

John
AHI: 2.5
Central: 1.7
Obstructive: 0.3
Hypopnea: 0.5
Pressure: 6.0-8.0cm on back with cervical collar.
Compliance: 15 Years

beanz1910

Post by beanz1910 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:42 pm

the ref is 560p its a remster 60 80w cpap.

I got the machine before ALL my surgires and had the same issue of feeling claustrophobic. The guy who gave it to me gave me a pressure of like 3. it was almost NOTHING.

after all my surgires i had another sleep study and still had apnea and thats when myself started to mess around the settings. i tried again last night at 11 and it felt pretty normal but i ended up ripping it off.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:15 pm

The 560 is an auto cpap so do you have a Min and Max pressure or do you have it set on CPAP mode? Are you using flex and if so what is that setting?
The lowest pressure this machine can go to is 4 cm/H2o. And sometimes a low pressure can feel hard to breath with but we need to make sure of your pressures. So Auto or CPAP mode?

beanz1910

Post by beanz1910 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:24 pm

it syas mode cpap. pressure is 11. flex type is c flex + with a setting of 3

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:42 pm

beanz1910 wrote:it syas mode cpap. pressure is 11. flex type is c flex + with a setting of 3
Without having time on the machine and data it's hard to guess at what pressure you might need. But since you have been trying it at 11, I think I would switch to Auto mode with min at 8 and max at 12 because if you are having trouble breathing out you might not need a constant 11, and the auto mode might help. This way it will only increase pressure if needed. Then after you have some hours of use you can download Sleepyhead and post screenshots so we can help you optimize your therapy.
Get sleepyhead here. https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead

beanz1910

Post by beanz1910 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:53 pm

OkyDoky wrote:
beanz1910 wrote:it syas mode cpap. pressure is 11. flex type is c flex + with a setting of 3
Without having time on the machine and data it's hard to guess at what pressure you might need. But since you have been trying it at 11, I think I would switch to Auto mode with min at 8 and max at 12 because if you are having trouble breathing out you might not need a constant 11, and the auto mode might help. This way it will only increase pressure if needed. Then after you have some hours of use you can download Sleepyhead and post screenshots so we can help you optimize your therapy.
Get sleepyhead here. https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead

i will try the auto with 8 min and 12 max tonight!

what is sleepyhead? I have NEVER used the Sd card feature on my cpap, i honestly have no idea how it even works.

also, noob question..what does auto do? It gets set at 8 and depending on my breathing it goes up to 12? im confused.