Wrist band sleep trackers

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Agunat

Wrist band sleep trackers

Post by Agunat » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:45 pm

​I am inquiring about these activity tracking wristbands.​ Is the sleep tracking feature something that can be useful to us? I have a lot of trouble using my CPAP on a consistent basis. Might something like this provide a goal type benefit perhaps?

Thanks in advance... Bob

recipefordisaster

Re: Wrist band sleep trackers

Post by recipefordisaster » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:57 pm

I use a Fitbit Charge HR and find the data useful. I have mine set on sensitive sleep tracking because otherwise it says I'm asleep as long as I'm in bed. I find that if I have an hour of continuous uninterrupted sleep, that usually correlates to feeling better. I am in bed about 9 hours and very rarely have a total of more than 4.5 hours of sleep... Most of which is broken up into little pieces. It gives me a goal to work towards.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:08 pm

Agunat wrote:Is the sleep tracking feature something that can be useful to us? I have a lot of trouble using my CPAP on a consistent basis. Might something like this provide a goal type benefit perhaps?
Are you using SleepyHead software? viewtopic.php?f=1&t=88983&start=0

It's a big priority for CPAPers. The value of activity trackers pales in comparison to the value of SleepyHead.

cmmarti3

Post by cmmarti3 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:26 pm

I've researched wrist fitness trackers because I wanted to monitor my slow wave sleep (since before CPAP I got zero slow wave sleep, sadly) and I've read that the wrist fitness trackers monitor your movement and how still you are. That is not the same as monitoring your brain waves. You can track your breathing with SleepyHead or Encore, but you can't track your brain waves. So you'll be able to see when you're asleep, but not which stage (N1, N2, N3 or REM) you're in with SleepyHead or Encore. And the wrist bands are pretty inaccurate as far as discerning whether you're in deep sleep or light sleep, according to what I found when researching them online.

Christina

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:48 pm

I used Zeo, (when it was supported) and misfit.
It might be of minimal use, but not enough for me to care.

Agunat

Post by Agunat » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:40 pm

Okay guys. Thanks for the tip. It sounds like maybe something I should pass on. Is everyone in agreement?

Thanks again... Bob

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:44 pm

Agunat wrote: It sounds like maybe something I should pass on. Is everyone in agreement?
I would not put it like that. It's just that you should 1)optimize your CPAP therapy using SleepyHead software, and 2)practice good sleep hygiene.

If you do those two things, your need/desire for an activity tracker may disappear.

JDS74

Post by JDS74 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:52 am

I use a Microsoft Band and it seems to track pretty well with the data from my CPAP and from my remembering how many times and when I wake up at night. I can't speak for any other brands and their accuracy.

Oracle 452 Lessons Learned Updated
DSX900 AutoSV with HC150 extra humidifier and Hibernite heated hose
Settings: EPAP Min-10.0, EPAP Max-17, PS Min-3, PS Max-10, Max Pressure-20, Rate-Auto, Biflex-1.
Sleepyhead and Encore Pro 2.21.

Agunat

Post by Agunat » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:31 pm

I do not "optimize my CPAP therapy" in any way. I only use my CPAP very sporadically. Of all things, it seems to keep me awake at night. The nasal pilIows have helped somewhat but I cannot remember the last time I've used the machine for an enire week. I was hoping one of the wrist bands might help me to a goal that wouldn't otherwise be there.

Bob

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:41 pm

Sporadically? Meaning not every night, or not all night?
I regret to inform you --that is your problem.
There is no substitute for consistent use every night, all night--and for naps too.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:42 pm

Agunat wrote:I do not "optimize my CPAP therapy" in any way. I only use my CPAP very sporadically. Of all things, it seems to keep me awake at night. The nasal pilIows have helped somewhat but I cannot remember the last time I've used the machine for an enire week. I was hoping one of the wrist bands might help me to a goal that wouldn't otherwise be there.

Bob
The goal should be to get a lower AHI with a good nights sleep. I like my AHI below 2 +/-. usually it's below 1. What machine do you have? Is it data capable? If so get Sleepyhead here https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead
Also register and keep posting. There will be someone here to help you problem solve and encourage you.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

Therapist

Post by Therapist » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:16 pm

Agunat wrote: I was hoping one of the wrist bands might help me to a goal that wouldn't otherwise be there.
Use SleepyHead software to set and monitor goals. I think that is what they mean by 'optimize'.

Agunat

Post by Agunat » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:46 pm

Thanks, I'll try using the software. At the link provided to get the software it says that "SleepyHead supports data capable CPAP machine models from the following series:
ResMed S9, Philips Respirioncs System One, Fisher & Paykel ICON and Devilbiss Intellipap". My machine is a Phillips Respironics, REMstar Pro, C-Flex+. Do you know if this would be compatible?

Thanks... Bob

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:51 pm

Agunat wrote:Thanks, I'll try using the software. At the link provided to get the software it says that "SleepyHead supports data capable CPAP machine models from the following series:
ResMed S9, Philips Respirioncs System One, Fisher & Paykel ICON and Devilbiss Intellipap". My machine is a Phillips Respironics, REMstar Pro, C-Flex+. Do you know if this would be compatible?

Thanks... Bob
Probably but the best way to make sure what machine you have is to take the water out and turn the machine over to find the REF# (tell us what you find there).
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

Agunat

Post by Agunat » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:52 pm

REF code is DS6HFLG.

Bob