Losing hope... no mask is for me?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Sir NoddinOff

Re: Losing hope... no mask is for me?

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:56 pm

All these recommendations and rejections prove one thing to me: Everybody has to find their own ideal solution for their problem(s). I've been guilty of enthusiastically recommending stuff and having people come back and say: "Thanks, but your idea just doesn't work for me". It's one of the most frustrating things about CPAP. Sometimes it's a tedious slog to find what works for you and unfortunately some people just give up before they reach the goal-line. We at CPAPtalk tend to say, "Keep trying" ... often they come back and bitterly report: "It's hopeless, nothing works and I'm still suffering". Nobody wants to experience that and it's sad thing for all involved. I wish it weren't so, however that seems to be a fact of life around here. I'm not pointing any fingers at the OP or anybody else, just stating things as I generally see them. Okay, depressive rant over...

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

FoggyFroggy

Post by FoggyFroggy » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:15 pm

bwexler wrote:My second choice is the Wisp, which I have swapped back and forth with the Élan over the last couple years.
bwexler - Do you find that the Wisp tickles the top of your nose upon inhaling or exhaling? It was the mask the sleep lab used during my titration study and that tickling sensation drove me wonky. I liked everything else about the mask, though so I will probably ask for that one when I finally get my script for equipment and see if I can desensitize myself.

recipefordisaster

Post by recipefordisaster » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:25 pm

Of course everyone is different. I just wish there was a formula that would tell people which mask would really fit them and work. The frustrating thing is that I haven't had luck with all these different masks for all different reasons. Leaks, pressure sores, breathing difficulty, etc.

I remember the ticking sensation with a few masks, including the Wisp, too. It drove me wild.

I'd love to try the Tap Pap but I can't handle pillows at all. It's unfortunate!

49er

Post by 49er » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:13 am

recipefordisaster wrote:Of course everyone is different. I just wish there was a formula that would tell people which mask would really fit them and work. The frustrating thing is that I haven't had luck with all these different masks for all different reasons. Leaks, pressure sores, breathing difficulty, etc.

I remember the ticking sensation with a few masks, including the Wisp, too. It drove me wild.

I'd love to try the Tap Pap but I can't handle pillows at all. It's unfortunate!
recipefordisaster,

I great feel your pain. If the elan cloth mask listed in my profile didn't work for me, I would really be in trouble because I don't seem to tolerate any other mask no matter how hard I try.

I wish you all the luck in the world in finding something.

49er

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:48 am

This is another example of the mask journey. I went thru 5 or 6 masks before I found mine. It can be very frustrating, but the rewards of proper therapy.... especially the feeling better during the day.... are worth the effort. Telling you what are going is normal doesn't help, it really is. Whatever you do... don't give up! We are all behind you!

Sheriff

recipefordisaster

Post by recipefordisaster » Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:29 am

I am so grateful for this forum... Having people rooting for me definitely helps. I've posted to other forums and gotten a lot less support, sometimes no response, sometimes erroneous "diagnosis" that the person stands by fiercely. This forum is awesome!!

I'm not sure what my next step is... I think I got around the cheek dents and soreness by using a liner (which gives me leaks) and a Telfa pad taped to each side of the mask (between liner and mask). However, now I'm having lower front tooth pain that woke me up. I don't want my teeth to move...l can't loosen the mask as its already on the edge of too loose to seal. I still slept better than I have in awhile and as a result have a higher AHI. Mine has been artificially low due to never sleeping more than an hour at a time. DME says I'm doing great . Fitbit says I rarely total 4-5 hours of sleep over 9-10 hours in bed, and they are usually broken up into 20-30 minute intervals. It's easy to have an AHI 0.7 when you're awake. I would not need therapy if I just stayed up!

I think if I can keep the FitLife, I'll still go for a new FFM in 6 months when I'm eligible, partly to avoid the heat of this mask in summer, and partly to alternate and give the pressure points a rest. I'm thinking F10 with some kind of nose padding although neither the RTs or me really think that will help. After 3 days I have a deep, purple dent, with a very loose mask, liner, band aids, etc. I wish it was just skin soreness but it's so deep. I wish I could toughen up!

I may also try the Elan, but could not get the FFM version to seal and if I use a nasal mask, I need a lot of strong, occlusion tape, plus a fleece band over my mouth, which is a little annoying. If something slips, I get lip fluttering and that wakes me. The idea of less real estate to seal is appealing and the cloth might be helpful, too.

kiteboy

Re: Not all linners are made equal

Post by kiteboy » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:21 pm

Hi all. I don't know if your problem is like mine, but I will tell you what works for me. I am allergic to silicone. That makes all hard masks, except one problematic. If I put silicone next to my skin it gets red and then very sore. I first discovered this with my glasses when the nose pads felt like nails being pounded into the bridge of my nose. Tape under the nose piece worked but so did hard plastic hypoallergenic nose pieces. I tried Dreamweaver masks and I could not get a good seal with them. I spent way too much time fiddling with my Dreamweaver mask. Now I use a silicone mask with a liner. I tried several liners before discovering Pad a Cheek. What I like about Pad a Cheek is that they make liners that attach to the mask and that can be washed and reused for about six months with regular washing. Each liner that they produce is model specific. I wash mine once a week and have used them for more than six months. My comfort is better and pressure against my face is much less than what I experienced with Dreamweaver. The best part of all is leakage is almost down to zero if I shave that day. Once I set the straps on my Quatro Air, I never have to readjust them until I need to replace them. I just leave them set to the right length and just rehook them to the mask. It takes me less than 5 seconds to put my mask on and be ready to turn on my machine even in the dark. With the low leakage rate, the noise is dramatically reduced from my cpap device. I am not connected with Pad a Cheek in any way other than being a very satisfied customer. I do thank Pad a Cheek for producing what is the best solution for me. Good luck and I hope this may help.