New to Forum

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
tfaff

Re: New to Forum

Post by tfaff » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:47 pm

Sorry!! That was a previous one with similar AHI.

http://i.imgur.com/P8USJwMl.png[/img]

Recently my AHI's have been more around the six range, so this is up again, and I feel terrible. And there is this data crap at the bottom of the screen, IDK how to get rid of it?

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:50 pm

tfaff wrote:Ok, I will try the vaseline on the mask. And I am resetting the CPAP numbers tonight. Im very thankful for your good advice/suggestions. My doctor seemed glad to send me home with an AHI of 13, since it had come down from 32 on my sleep study. This forum is invaluable, but you all get that. Now I think I will survive to see my doctor after five weeks.
NO, NO, do not use Vaseline, it will react with the silicone of the mask and degrade it like crazy. We use lansinoh.... pure lanolin, it will harm nothing and will help to soothe your face and not react against the silicone. It can be purchased anywhere and is found in the baby isle of most stores or pharmacies. If it is safe for babies, it is definitely safe for us. Most of us use it when we use nasal pillows to help with the chaffing and to make the pillows stick better. Never use Vaseline.
Cheers
Nan
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:15 pm

tfaff wrote:Sorry!! That was a previous one with similar AHI.

Recently my AHI's have been more around the six range, so this is up again, and I feel terrible. And there is this data crap at the bottom of the screen, IDK how to get rid of it?
somehow you're getting a malformed link, with the ] missing before [img]

2) I'd guess you need to bump the min and max pressure one or two cm.

3) turn off debug to get rid of the debug window.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:40 pm

I agree with PR, to raise both by minimum and maximum by 1. It may still take another increase on the minimum but I would only raise it by 1 and then evaluate.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

tfaff

Post by tfaff » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:23 pm

Ok, Ill try the Lanolin, and bump the two numbers up again. Thank you again, this is my whole life right now, my head felt like it was going to pop off today. I get bad migraines with it sometimes. Thankfully I don't need to be working right now, I don't know how I would at this point. Like I said, yesterday was actually a GREAT day, then today is the opposite.

poppi2

New to Forum

Post by poppi2 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:29 pm

Edit: duplicate

Mudrock63

Post by Mudrock63 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:47 pm

tfaff wrote:Ok, Ill try the Lanolin, and bump the two numbers up again. Thank you again, this is my whole life right now, my head felt like it was going to pop off today. I get bad migraines with it sometimes. Thankfully I don't need to be working right now, I don't know how I would at this point. Like I said, yesterday was actually a GREAT day, then today is the opposite.
I would follow the suggestions you have been given to this point, and try to hang with the new settings for at least a couple of days. You are going to have a bad night every now and again, it just happens. But that might be followed by three or four great nights. I guess my point is whenever you make changes, your body and mind have to adjust to new settings, new pressure. So give yourself a few days to see if you have a trend of better numbers versus one night. There are so many variables involved. I have been tweaking mine for a couple of months and try to keep each change to one thing at a time. So I can evaluate it on its own merit. I got some advice early on to make adjustments in 0.5 increments at a time. Just to keep any major shocks to a minimum and help acclimate you to where you are wanting to go.

tfaff

Post by tfaff » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:41 pm

I have my life back!! After finding that I had a lot of mask leakage and switching to the pillow mask was a huge improvement, and using lanolin, once I found it at Walmart, "sealed the deal"! I also got one of the CPAP pillows so I can lay on my side better without upsetting the mask. The first week, I had good days most of the time, and now, I have great days almost every day. I don't feel like Im 80 years old any more!! It is a complete change back to the energy I used to have, from being on the couch almost all day. So here is a current "normal" night, in case anyone sees any glaring changes that can still lower my numbers. I did have a night this week that was .86 and that is my best number so far, it has been in the 1. somethings a lot. Thank you to everyone who helped me figure this out, I am so grateful to this forum.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:49 pm

Great Progress!
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:58 pm

awesome, good to hear that you're doing better!

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

tfaff

Can't use CPAP after surgery.

Post by tfaff » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:16 am

I had oral surgery in March and had two upper wisdom teeth removed. I discussed with the surgeon before the surgery how it would work ( for my breathing) during the procedure. I couldn't wear my CPAP because it would get in the way. So the surgery went well and I went home on pain meds and slept for a couple days. On the second night night I was wearing the CPAP and it was burning my sinus all over my face and head. I took it off and had to sleep without it. I called the surgeon the next day and got the doc on call. He said I was not supposed to use the CPAP for two to three weeks because the site was so close to the sinus it could cause an opening into my nose and I'd need more surgery, etc.

If I don't sleep with my CPAP I am in big trouble as far as functioning the next day, I shouldn't really even drive. I called my sleep doc and after waiting two days he called back and said to go ahead and sleep without it. I was trying to sleep in a recliner, but knowing I wouldn't be breathing, made it very hard to go to sleep. I'd sleep one hour a night. So when I went back to see the surgeon after a week, he said I needed to go a few more nights at least without it. He told me to take the pain meds to help me sleep! I was a zombie for a couple of days and then I switched to Benedryl that only left me half stupid. I felt so let down by my Drs. Telling me to go ahead and not use it, flippantly. Can't imagine why they didn't tell me before the surgery.
Anyway, I'm back using the machine, back to a low AHI, but I feel that the medical field needs to get a clue about this condition and help us out. My dad uses a CPAP and he can skip it when he's on vacation, but I'm a mess even one night after not using it! I tried to get on here, but I forgot my username and got locked out. Haha.

Mudrock63

Post by Mudrock63 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:53 am

Same here. If I miss one night, it takes me weeks to get back to feeling good. Also amazed at the level of ignorance in the medical field about this condition. Many, if not most, don't have a clue what they are doing.

tfaff

Post by tfaff » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:59 pm

Thanks for reading my long rant, I suppose that is why a lot of us are on here!

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:02 pm

Mudrock63 wrote:Also amazed at the level of ignorance in the medical field about this condition. Many, if not most, don't have a clue what they are doing.
+1