Just replaced S9

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Old machine - keep or sell?

Keep it as backup in case new machine went bad.
92%
Sell it - it's 5.5 years old.
8%

Total votes: 12

Roman Hokie

Just replaced S9

Post by Roman Hokie » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:08 am

Hey, gang. Good morning.

Old machines. Keep it as a backup, or try to sell it? I have a 2010 S9 Elite CPAP with H5i humidifier. Heck, I even have some pillows, air filters, and hose.

Would need new water chamber and (for sanitary sake) headgear.

If you see me acting unruly, call me on it. PMs are welcome.

Okie bipap

Re: Just replaced S9

Post by Okie bipap » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:44 am

I would keep it as a back up unit. You never know when your primary machine will quite. Mine died when it was less than six months old. It was replaced under warranty, but I was without a machine for three days. It died when we were out of town and was replaced as soon as we got home.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:50 am

I kept my S8 for travel. That way I don't have to obsess about whether it will survive the trip or if I forget a bit elsewhere.

It was also good one night when I woke up and was sure the current machine wasn't working right. I switched over in the middle of the night and fell back asleep. Next morning I checked and the current one was working fine.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:27 am

Keep it for backup.
Likely after 5 plus years, the hours of use on it will make a huge negative impact on the value.
The hours of use will hurt the value a lot and you won't get much for it anyway.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:38 am

Really you needed to make a one legged poll to decide what to do with your old XPAP¿ Where's the Poll on how many pieces of Bacon I need to go with one fried egg for breakfast. BTW: I vote all of them, and two eggs, biscuit a coffee with milk, but that's the way I roll.

If it works, keep it as a backup, unless you all ready have a backup, or sell it and buy a backup, or give it away and buy a backup. When I found a machine I knew I liked. I bought two more, one like it new and one used low mileage. Murphy leaves me alone. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

englandsf

Post by englandsf » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:24 pm

You should always have a backup/travel machine and at least you know where this on has been!

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:11 pm

To use the line from your own profile...........

The best education comes from hard-fought experience. Someone else's.

Considering how many times this subject comes up on the forum about having spares/backups, I'm surprised you even had to ask.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:20 pm

Roman...Just today you responded to a woman whose unit broke and she was panicing because she had no machine to use. "Wake up and smell the roses"

Roman Hokie

Post by Roman Hokie » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:29 pm

Thank you. I consider my question asked and answered.

You guys and gals are awesome.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:37 pm

Roman Hokie wrote:Thank you. I consider my question asked and answered.

You guys and gals are awesome.
in another vote for keeping it as a spare, i had a friend staying over during the holidays who'd made the mistake of putting her spare machine in her checked baggage, which didn't go where she did.

since I have spares (masks, hoses, machines) she didn't have to do without.... though she has since learned to always keep her cpap with her.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Roman Hokie

Post by Roman Hokie » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:32 pm

palerider wrote:
in another vote for keeping it as a spare, i had a friend staying over during the holidays who'd made the mistake of putting her spare machine in her checked baggage, which didn't go where she did.

since I have spares (masks, hoses, machines) she didn't have to do without.... though she has since learned to always keep her cpap with her.
The CPAP doesn't count as a carry-on per FAA. I like that. I never check my CPAP when I travel. Nobody should. Same with any medications and a day or two of clothes.

SleepyEyes21

Post by SleepyEyes21 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:42 pm

Roman Hokie wrote:
palerider wrote:

The CPAP doesn't count as a carry-on per FAA. I like that. I never check my CPAP when I travel. Nobody should. Same with any medications and a day or two of clothes.
I flew Allegiant Air last year, and my CPAP was considered a medical device. I carried it on; no way was I going to put it in checked baggage, even if it was my back up. I've seen enough news reports about bag handlers

Roman Hokie

Post by Roman Hokie » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:52 pm

SleepyEyes21 wrote:
I flew Allegiant Air last year, and my CPAP was considered a medical device. I carried it on; no way was I going to put it in checked baggage, even if it was my back up. I've seen enough news reports about bag handlers
I used to travel 12-15 times a year, often by plane. Never an issue. And, please ask the TSA goons to change their rubber gloves and swabs, unless you want some other tortured passenger's germs to get all over your respiratory equipment.

SleepyEyes21

Post by SleepyEyes21 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:42 pm

Roman Hokie wrote:
SleepyEyes21 wrote:
I used to travel 12-15 times a year, often by plane. Never an issue. And, please ask the TSA goons to change their rubber gloves and swabs, unless you want some other tortured passenger's germs to get all over your respiratory equipment.
Yep- thanks for that reminder tip too, Roman- good one to keep in mind. Security never had me take my machine out of its bag on either trip (flying out/ returning home.) I simply put the whole case in its own bin, unzipped the case I carry it in, told the TSA handler what it was, asked it they needed me to remove it from the bag, they said "no," and it went through the conveyor belt with no problem. They never touched it.

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:04 pm

Totally depends. Your comfort level, level of apnea (severe vs. mild), how quickly (or if) you can get a backup from your DME. Do you have a copy of your prescription at an online retailer?

My DME will only provide a free backup while you are still in the rental phase. After that, you have to pay a rental fee and that isn't covered by insurance or Medicare. YMMV.

I'm still looking for a good price for a backup for either an S9 or Airsense because I was one of those rare folks who don't respond well to Respironics' algorithm. Actually, I did have one, but it was damaged in shipping, so the seller kindly took it back. It's pretty easy to get a good price on the 560 autos now with the new Dream out.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)