Need more humidity in cpap? (mouth sores)

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
nbohl

Need more humidity in cpap? (mouth sores)

Post by nbohl » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:41 pm

Hello all, first time poster here hoping to get some support from some veteran cpap users.

I have a cpap with an integrated humidifier and I'm noticing that during the colder months, one of two things are happening that are causing some serious discomfort by way of swollen and very sensitive taste buds and kanker sores than I think are being caused by one of two things:

1 I think the colder air in my bedroom (my side of the bed is near a closed window) is decreasing the humidity coming through my full-facemask (mirage quattro) and is causing detrimental dry-mouth that is causing some very painful side effects.
2. Its not cooler air at all, and the fact that I have lost a bit of weight. The new replacement cushions I've received don't seem to fit as well as I remember and I'm needing to secure my mask very tightly to prevent air leaks. I'm worried that as my face relaxes (and mouth opens) while I sleep, air leaks are occurring and the cycling of air out of my mask is causing said dry mouth.

If it's scenario 2 there's not much I can do. My insurance won't cover a new mask for another 2 1/2 months so I'm dead in the water... I'll just need to not use my cpap until I'm able to meet with my supplier and try a different kind of mask.

If it's scenario 1 I'm thinking a snugglehose will help, but I'm curious if anyone knows of a better way to add more humidity to my mask, or if it's even the problem. I've also read that if I'm overtightening my mask (had to with old mask because it was worn out and I have to with the new mask because of air leaks) that the pressure could be causing the discomfort. However, that would only explain the kanker sores and not the dry mouth/taste bud swelling in encountering so I don't think that's it.

I'm hoping someone else out there has experienced this and would be able to provide some assistsnce, as my cpap has become unusable and I'm having a very hard time making it through the day, having been spoiled by knowing what a good night's sleep finally feels like.

Thank you

ClearBlueSky85

Re: Need more humidity in cpap? (mouth sores)

Post by ClearBlueSky85 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:33 pm

Hi I'm also a new user to the forum although I have had my CPAP almost 3 years now. I did recently notice having frequent mouth/canker sores, which I had attributed to just general lack of self-care, but after reading your post, I realized that at that time I was not using my humidifier, since I was being lazy with not wanting to refill/clean it. Since using my humidifier regularly again I haven't had any mouth sores.

On my humidifier I can adjust the heater amount to control the humidity, I'm not sure what humidifier you have. I have a Hygro-Thermometer that I got on Amazon that I use to monitor humidity in my apartment. Right now in the winter is pretty low at 20% humidity. Other than raising the heater temp on your humidifier, you could try to raise the humidity in your room in general to see if that helps. I have a small warm mist humidifier I use in my bedroom sometimes. My apartment is in an old building with all hardwood floors and not insulated very well at all, so it doesn't stay that warm either. Interestingly I have noticed with the hygrometer when I mop all the floors in my apartment it raises the humidity a lot! Not that doing something like that would be a good solution but just an observation I had. I also have dry eyes so the low humidity and CPAP in the winter have been a challenge for me.

I used to have the mirage quattro for awhile, however switched to a different mask. I was having issues with it hurting my nose, which might have been because of over-tightening trying to seal the mask. I went through a lot trying to get a new mask that worked, and during the process we actually found out that the mirage quattro medium was too large and that I should've been using a small. I am currently using the mirage liberty which is a full mask hybrid w/ nasal pillows. I love the liberty hybrid mask so much more than the quattro full face style. It was more effort to get, since I think the hybrid it is more expensive, and the equipment provider said I had to have a special 'prescription', which my doctor provided when asked.

Even though your 3 months aren't up yet, I think you can still go to equipment provider to get a new mask if it is causing you issues. From what I understood when I went, you are able to exchange what you have for a new type of mask if you are having issues (I think they said you have one 'backup' or 'replacement' or some other term). Getting the hybrid was extra effort due to cost and availability, but they did give me a smaller version of the quattro, as well as the amara, which I tried out for a couple weeks.

I might suggest that for the seal leaks, make sure the seals are clean. I try to regularly use Clorox Disinfecting Wipes before and after, mainly around the seals of the mask, to try to remove any oils or other buildup. I also try to wash my face before going to bed to reduce amount of oil, which seems to help with keeping a good seal.

good luck, it can take a lot of effort staying on top of things with self care stuff, and can be frustrating dealing with equipment providers and healthcare insurance, in my experience, hope things get better for you

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:42 pm

Secondwindcpap.com has lightly used masks that are more affordable than new ones if you could spring for any, plus occasionally people here will sell ones they don't need, and/or Cpap.com has 'Replacement parts' listd for each on the product pg and you wouldn't need a script for those, only an intact mask (strange but true!), if that's an issue at all.

Pokedroid

Post by Pokedroid » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:36 am

ClearBlueSky85 wrote:Hi I'm also a new user to the forum although I have had my CPAP almost 3 years now. I did recently notice having frequent mouth/canker sores, which I had attributed to just general lack of self-care, but after reading your post, I realized that at......
I actually went out and bought a humidifier, but still haven't tried my mask with it yet as I'm scared I'll get more canker sores. I appreciate your advice though, it appears the medium mirage quattro is too large for me as well.

Unfortunately, as amazing as my healthcare package is, it doesn't cover replacement masks outside of the 3 month replacement period. It's a very weird stipulation because I "ordered" new masks instead of picking them up from my sleep center. Had I picked them up in person, there is a return/exchange option if the packaging is open but when I order any new supplies, the second I open the box I am unable to return or exchange... EVEN IF THE CONTENTS ARE INCORRECT! Luckily I haven't experienced this but that's the information I was given when I spoke to a benefits rep for my health insurance provider.

At any rate, once my mouth fully heals I will give it a shot with the humidifier near my machine and see if that helps. Given that you're also able to confirm that room humidity can play a factor in the quality of air coming through my hose, I may invest in one of those snuggle hoses I've read about for extra insulation.

Thank you for your reply

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:10 am

Sometimes changing the Ph in your mouth can make a cold sore go away.
Brush your teeth just once, gently, with a paste of baking soda and water.
Rinse well, drink enough water, and avoid sweets for a day or so.
Beneficial for a number of reasons, and relatively harmless.
It works for me.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:39 am

nbohl wrote:Hello all, first time poster here hoping to get some support from some veteran cpap users.

I have a cpap with an integrated humidifier and I'm noticing that during the colder months, one of two things are happening that are causing some serious discomfort by way of swollen and very sensitive taste buds and kanker sores than I think are being caused by one of two things:

1 I think the colder air in my bedroom (my side of the bed is near a closed window) is decreasing the humidity coming through my full-facemask (mirage quattro) and is causing detrimental dry-mouth that is causing some very painful side effects.
2. Its not cooler air at all, and the fact that I have lost a bit of weight. The new replacement cushions I've received don't seem to fit as well as I remember and I'm needing to secure my mask very tightly to prevent air leaks. I'm worried that as my face relaxes (and mouth opens) while I sleep, air leaks are occurring and the cycling of air out of my mask is causing said dry mouth.

If it's scenario 2 there's not much I can do. My insurance won't cover a new mask for another 2 1/2 months so I'm dead in the water... I'll just need to not use my cpap until I'm able to meet with my supplier and try a different kind of mask.

If it's scenario 1 I'm thinking a snugglehose will help, but I'm curious if anyone knows of a better way to add more humidity to my mask, or if it's even the problem. I've also read that if I'm overtightening my mask (had to with old mask because it was worn out and I have to with the new mask because of air leaks) that the pressure could be causing the discomfort. However, that would only explain the kanker sores and not the dry mouth/taste bud swelling in encountering so I don't think that's it.

I'm hoping someone else out there has experienced this and would be able to provide some assistsnce, as my cpap has become unusable and I'm having a very hard time making it through the day, having been spoiled by knowing what a good night's sleep finally feels like.

Thank you
The cushions on the Quattro should last a long time...Mine last almost a year. The mask should not be pulled tight. Overtightening will cause discomfort. Dry mouth needs more humidity. If you have maxed out your setting, add room humidification.

macewa

Post by macewa » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:53 pm

I live in a very dry area and high altitude and when I don't use my humidifier I get sores in my mouth, lips. My mouth gets so dry I shave to drink water before I can talk. I have discovered that if I set my humidifier at 1 it cures everything.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:29 pm

nbohl wrote: (my side of the bed is near a closed window)
Heat vents are often placed under windows. Is your machine near a heat vent? Air from a HVAC vent blowing on the machine can cause terrible dryness. This is true even if the heat only runs short, infrequent cycles.

I know you need to find what is causing the sores and look into prevention. But, when you do have a sore, this is the gold standard medication to treat them - Triamcinolone acetonide 0.1% dental paste (http://www.medicinenet.com/triamcinolon ... rticle.htm). Prescription is required. The paste is very cheap, depending of course on what your insurance has negotiated.

Also, the choice of products to relieve and prevent dry mouth while sleeping with CPAP is Orajel Dry Mouth Moisturizing Gel (http://www.drugstore.com/orajel-dry-mou ... tid=183812).

It's best to register for this forum, then go to User Control Panel and fill out your equipment profile.
"It's not the number of breaths we take, it's the number of moments that take our breath away."