Dreamstation "SmartRamp" Feature

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
thecpapguy!

Dreamstation "SmartRamp" Feature

Post by thecpapguy! » Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:59 pm

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! I just received my new Dreamstation last week, but I am not new to CPAP therapy. I have working as a technician in the field for a little over a decade. I was hoping that some of you may have some thoughts on the smartramp feature that Phillips Respironics has with their new devices? I personally, from a technician perspective, have not had a satisfactory recommendation for the feature as it causes problems with comfort in the majority of patient's that I have use it and I prefer for the ramp to be in manual mode most of the time. Has anyone else had problems with this feature and if so, please explain?

AcedDublB

Re: Dreamstation "SmartRamp" Feature

Post by AcedDublB » Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:28 pm

I too got my new DreamStation last week and didn't select that feature but I was anxious to hear what benefits there are supposed to be with it.

I don't bother with the Ramp button as I usually take a long time to get to sleep anyway.

I am on fairly high pressures too.

jimsp1

Post by jimsp1 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:10 pm

I use the ramp feature if I wake up and my APAP is near the high end(12 in my case). I find it difficult to fall back to sleep at the high pressure so I just push the ramp button to temporally lower the pressure.

AcedDublB

Post by AcedDublB » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:45 pm

I will try it tonight, certainly can't do any harm.

Cannuck 1

Post by Cannuck 1 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:12 pm

I like a ramp up starting at 6cm/ho2 for 5 min because it easies you instead of a violent start pressure at 8cm/o2.(that's my ceiling pressure)
At 4cm/ho2 I feel I'm not getting enough and it bothers me in a slumber state of mind.
All the best.

Last edited by Cannuck 1 on Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:19 pm

Cannuck 1 wrote:I like a ramp up starting at 6cm/o2 for 5 min because it easies you instead of a violent start pressure at 8cm/o2.(that's my ceiling pressure)
At 4cm/o2 I feel I'm not getting enough and it bothers me in a slumber state of mind.
All the best.
Not to be picky just correct, I noticed once before you stated pressures as cm/o2. Pressures are actually cm/ H2O (water not oxygen)
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

Cannuck 1

Post by Cannuck 1 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:22 pm

OkyDoky wrote:
Cannuck 1 wrote:I like a ramp up starting at 6cm/ho2 for 5 min because it easies you instead of a violent start pressure at 8cm/ho2.(that's my ceiling pressure)
At 4cm/o2 I feel I'm not getting enough and it bothers me in a slumber state of mind.
All the best.
Not to be picky just correct, I noticed once before you stated pressures as cm/o2. Pressures are actually cm/ H2O (water not oxygen)
You are right, I will be more diligent.(corrected)

Last edited by Cannuck 1 on Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:26 pm

Cannuck 1 wrote:
OkyDoky wrote:
Cannuck 1 wrote:I like a ramp up starting at 6cm/o2 for 5 min because it easies you instead of a violent start pressure at 8cm/o2.(that's my ceiling pressure)
All the best.
You are right, I will be more diligent.
No worry. That's why we are here because we all need others to keep us in line.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

thecpapguy!

Post by thecpapguy! » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:34 am

Most of the replies I've noticed I think are the standard manual RAMP setting. Adjust the ramp pressure to your comfort then press the ramp button to actually use the feature. The "smart ramp" on the Dreamstation works quite a bit differently. Once your breathing calms into a regular rhythm the ramp feature automatically engages to what time limit has been set within the clinic menu's. Has anyone used that feature?

jonny515

Post by jonny515 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:17 am

So it is basically "guessing" (I use that advisedly sorry) that you are sleeping by a regular breathing pattern? Interesting.
thecpapguy! wrote:Most of the replies I've noticed I think are the standard manual RAMP setting. Adjust the ramp pressure to your comfort then press the ramp button to actually use the feature. The "smart ramp" on the Dreamstation works quite a bit differently. Once your breathing calms into a regular rhythm the ramp feature automatically engages to what time limit has been set within the clinic menu's. Has anyone used that feature?

WindCpap

Post by WindCpap » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:57 pm

I not have a dreamstation , but auto ramp works extremely important well on the resmed airsense 10. I have seen it ramp up early but it has never missed me falling asleep. The ramp is very quick once it engages.

thecpapguy!

Post by thecpapguy! » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:59 pm

[quote="jonny515"]So it is basically "guessing" (I use that advisedly sorry) that you are sleeping by a regular breathing pattern? Interesting.

Yes Jonny515. From the way I am understanding the feature is that once your breathe becomes more even and relaxed showing the signs you have fallen asleep then the machine will begin to RAMP and if you do not show these signs within 30 minutes it automatically ramps for you. If I am wrong, then I hope someone will educate me! I really want this feature to work for patients, but I cannot seem to get on the same page with how it works, how to properly educate and how to properly use. I just like using the manual mode better.
I also use the manual mode on my machine.

WindCpap

Post by WindCpap » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:59 pm

OkyDoky wrote:
All the best.
I wonder if you actually what cmH20 really means.

OkyDoky

Re: Dreamstation

Post by OkyDoky » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:16 pm

WindCpap wrote:
OkyDoky wrote:
All the best.

I wonder if you actually what cmH20 really means.

I think your sentence is missing a word. And if your are asking if I Know what it means, yes I do!

AcedDublB

Post by AcedDublB » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:27 pm

ADVANCED AUTO-BiPAP ADJUSTS TO YOUR CHANGING SLEEP NEEDS
The DreamStation BiPAP Auto is an advanced auto-bilevel machine that delivers one distinct higher pressure on inhalation, and a separate lower pressure on exhalation. As you sleep the BiPAP Auto monitors your breathing for flow limitations and adapts to them, automatically adjusting inhalation and exhalation levels to ensure you're receiving the optimum bilevel pressure for a comfortable and successful sleep.

SMARTRAMP MAKES THERAPY EASIER
In addition to the traditional pressure ramp available on most sleep therapy devices, DreamStation Auto BiPAP offers SmartRamp for an easier experience at the onset of sleep. When SmartRamp is enabled the DreamStation BiPAP Auto will monitor your therapy levels, during the ramp period, to deliver lower overall pressure until it detects an obstructive respiratory event. When an event is detected SmartRamp responds to resolve the event, raising pressures as required until the ramp period concludes.