What's the cause and effect of Weight and Sleep Apnea

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Enchanter

What's the cause and effect of Weight and Sleep Apnea

Post by Enchanter » Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:32 am

Whenenver I do a google search, I ask what the cause and effect relationship is between weight gain and sleep apnea and what seems to come up is how there is a correlation and how losing weight could completely eliminate symptoms of sleep apnea. And I don't doubt it, but I'm failing to find out what the exact cause and effect is. If someone had an explanation that would work. Does more Body Mass Index make it harder for the tongue to stay in position? I saw this site where people asked if they were to do a liposuction on the neck and if it would work and surgeons said that it would likely have no effect. And if that is the case, then why is it when I google, most sites say that losing weight should be the first thing that you do. But my friend outweighs me by 60 lbs, snores loud, and his doctor said he doesn't have sleep apnea. So if that's the case, then I wanna know how losing weight affects the outcome.

I have come to grips with the fact that I won't be able to get help on this forum anymore. My problem goes beyond the advice on here and I have to work with my own doctor, not just ask posters to instruct me. But this one thing about weight and the sleep apnea correlation has been on my mind and I'm trying to figure it out.
My Current Therapies
- CPAP + Humidifier
- Allergy Shots + nose Spray + Hepa Air Purifier
- Cardiovascular Exercise + Stretching

stepyou

Re: What's the cause and effect of Weight and Sleep Apnea

Post by stepyou » Fri Dec 25, 2015 3:22 am

Not an expert but it seems that it is not clear which happens first- weight gain or sleep apnea. It seems that someone could have mild sleep apnea which would mess with the cortisol levels and other body things which could cause weight gain and then aggravate the sleep apnea. So if you had an underdeveloped jaw that was causing sleep apnea for example and then put on weight because of it, losing weight would not 'cure' the sleep apnea.

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:46 am

It's now believed that apnea causes or at least aggravates weight gain, not the other way around, and your friend probably does have apnea, at least while on his back, but only a sleep study would tell the truth - encourage him to get one. His doctor may or may not have a clue.

glarnold

Post by glarnold » Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:38 am

"Correlation does not equal causation." There are many "causes" of weight gain. And there are many "causes" of sleep apnea. Some of them may overlap. Or, none of them may overlap. It's kind of like frying a dozen scrambled eggs and then asking which bite came from which egg. Can't tell. Doesn't matter. Just eat the eggs and don't worry about it.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:26 am

Enchanter wrote:Whenenver I do a google search, I ask what the cause and effect relationship is between weight gain and sleep apnea and what seems to come up is how there is a correlation and how losing weight could completely eliminate symptoms of sleep apnea. And I don't doubt it, but I'm failing to find out what the exact cause and effect is. If someone had an explanation that would work. Does more Body Mass Index make it harder for the tongue to stay in position? I saw this site where people asked if they were to do a liposuction on the neck and if it would work and surgeons said that it would likely have no effect. And if that is the case, then why is it when I google, most sites say that losing weight should be the first thing that you do. But my friend outweighs me by 60 lbs, snores loud, and his doctor said he doesn't have sleep apnea. So if that's the case, then I wanna know how losing weight affects the outcome.

I have come to grips with the fact that I won't be able to get help on this forum anymore. My problem goes beyond the advice on here and I have to work with ]my own doctor, not just ask posters to instruct me. But this one thing about weight and the sleep apnea correlation has been on my mind and I'm trying to figure it out.
Why are you still asking?

WindCpap

Post by WindCpap » Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:35 am

It really isn't a mater of one or the other.

Being overweight causes more mass around the neck. This makes sleep apnea worse. Some, but not all, people can cure sleep apnea by losing weight. There is definitely a causation here.

Weight gain is caused by eating to much relative to the amount of energy burned. A number of the psychological and physiological effects of sleep can contributed to less ability to control this. If you did a survey though, I think you would find that nobody automatically loses any real amount of weight just be treating sleep apnea.

The whole debate is rather moot, and often is used by people like me to justify being fat.

What is important is that CPAP therapy will, 99% of the time, fully treat sleep apnea. Obesity and OSA are independent causes of many health issues. OSA is extremely easy to treat, so we treat it, and benefit from the treatment. Obesity is far more difficult to treat, but the positive health effects of taking care of it are very worth-while.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:13 am

glarnold wrote: It's kind of like frying a dozen scrambled eggs and then asking which bite came from which egg. Can't tell.
You may want to start numbering your eggs with a permanent marker. It's best to do this when you bring them into the house and before you put them in the fridge. If you wait until breakfast, you might be in a hurry and fail to number them or get the numbers mixed up.
First read: viewtopic/t172378/Sticky--Newbies-PLEAS ... STING.html

Then get a free account: https://home.sleephq.com/

Post links in this thread for members to see and make recommendations.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:38 pm

I've lost track, is this Chapter 23 or 24 of this Neverending Soap? I only eat eggs from skinny chickens. There's a Neverending supply of responders here, this Soap Opera will never get canceled. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Lucyhere

Post by Lucyhere » Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:38 pm

This subject has come up many times. There is no tried and true answer. I've lost 25 pounds since I started this therapy almost seven years ago and am now considered of average weight for my height. First sleep study showed severe osa, second sleep study this past summer dropped to moderate, close to the mild range. Might have been the weight but no one knows for sure. My friend is 100 lbs overweight... doesn't have sleep apnea or diabetes. Doctors don't know either. Some think one way and some think another.

If you do a search here, you'll find many threads on this topic.
Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset for her w/humid air/heated Humidifier
Bleep/P10

Gasper62

Post by Gasper62 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:54 pm

Duh. Comparing yourself to your friend is akin to an apples-oranges comparison. You are two different people..... with two different sets of circumstances. You'd probably do a lot better in treating your apnea if you'd spend A LOT less time reasoning, questioning, doubting & fretting about the "what ifs" and JUST DO IT ! Take a pill if needed. It's not magic and millions of people manage to get through it !

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:38 pm

From the studies I have read and already said to you several times - it is 50/50. Toss a coin and it could be caused by apnea or weight could be causing it.

And you won't know until you get your therapy under control AND lose the weight.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

oncomingspork

Post by oncomingspork » Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:33 pm

I'm just hoping that I get some energy and clarity back - I'm a writer, damnit, and brain fog is my mortal enemy.
And if I get energy again, maybe I could actually stick to exercise routines without flattening myself.

jonny515

Post by jonny515 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:46 pm

I didn't think I could have it because I am not at all overweight but alas it's not true-- you can have it and even be skinny (though I'm not skinny). People who are overweight can improve it by losing weight but I believe it's not 100%.

Chicago Granny, LOL.

klv329

Post by klv329 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:37 am

One older ENT told me it was the fat inside the throat that could contribute to obstructive sleep apnea by narrowing the passage, and that weight loss might help. Two people I know with sleep apnea are quite thin, one is just plain tall and skinny and started off with a pressure of 13. For me, I think it has more to do with the muscles relaxing and collapsing while sleeping. However I do feel better if I keep my weight under 200.

49er

Post by 49er » Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:57 am

For what it is worth, 5 relatives, including me, have sleep apnea. Two of us are thin and three others are overweight although not terribly. Suspected that parents had it and one was thin and other was overweight. Obviously, I can't say for sure but I think it is safe to assume that even if the folks who were overweight lost the weight, they would still have apnea as there seems to be a genetic family structure at play.

49er