New Sleep Apnea Sufferer, Insurance Non-Helpful ---

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Shinino

New Sleep Apnea Sufferer, Insurance Non-Helpful ---

Post by Shinino » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:14 am

Mainly due to a $2500 deductible. I've looked at a number of places, none of which offer any reasonable payment plan (no, $500-600 down or payments of that is not /reasonable/, thanks). Don't really have the money to buy a unit straight-out, even though I know it's quite a bit cheaper.

I've looked at Craigslist, and passed when people didn't pan out. My next step at this point is to sign up with Sleepapnea.org for their donation thing, and see if that works. If that doesn't, then probably crowdsourcing (GoFundMe, et al)

Figured I"d reach out here for any other ideas people have.

What I need:
Auto BIPAP (12 min, 17 Max, 6 PS), Humidifier, Heated tubing, applicator for oral/nasal interface, full face applicator, full face mask cushion, cushion for nasal mask, pillows for nasal mask, monitoring device, nasal applicator for mask, headgear, chinstrap, standard tubing, disposable and non-disposable filters and water chamber for the humdifier. I'm sure a lot of this stuff gets combined -- what I've been told from all of the suppliers I've talked to through my doctor is $1300-1900. Obviously, that's because it's going through insurance -- not that this helps me at all.

Anyway, enough of my rambling, looking forward to something working out eventually.

Julie

Re: New Sleep Apnea Sufferer, Insurance Non-Helpful ---

Post by Julie » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:35 am

What are 'applicators' that you talk about - I'm unaware of any parts by that name. Are you referring to headgear (straps)? A mask is a mask and you just put it on... there's no 'applicator' needed, nor do you need both a full face and nasal mask (parts or otherwise), one will do the job. And I'm not sure what you mean by a 'monitoring device' - are you referring to an oximeter, or to software (free to download from the forum)? Oximeters are by no means part of standard therapy and are only incidentally sold by Cpap supply dealers in any case... I'd say the majority of us don't use them. And hoses are only a few bucks each... unless of course you're going for the specialty ones like the Climateline... again not necessarily standard and not necessarily 'needed' by any means. Same for a chinstrap. And to my knowledge humidifier chambers are usually part of the set-up, not separate items. Maybe try adding up what you actually need (or were prescribed) to use Cpap, rather than trying to get someone else to buy the whole menu for you. Secondwindcpap.com sells equipment at very good prices, and you should be able to get standard stuff that will do the job. Was the high deductible your choice or the company's?

Perhaps if you thought of yourself as just a patient, a person with a treatable condition like any other, rather than a "sufferer" you might feel less bad about the situation.

Why do I have the feeling you've been here before under another name? A LOT of times?
Last edited by Julie on Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

stepyou

Post by stepyou » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:05 am

I think it might be best to work out what you need if you are on a budget. I have a PAP machine with humidifer, hose and mask. Most people find they use either a nasal pillow or a full face mask- it is unlikely you need both.

Not sure how it works wherever you live but are you able to look at renting a machine instead of buying?

Cardsfan

Post by Cardsfan » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:45 am

Have you looked at prices on:
http://Www.secondwindcpap.com
http://Www.cpap.com

That list of supplies you have- MANY of those items are duplicates and some are not necessary to get you started.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:10 am

Cardsfan wrote:Have you looked at prices on:
http://Www.secondwindcpap.com
http://Www.cpap.com

That list of supplies you have- MANY of those items are duplicates and some are not necessary to get you started.

I agree...using secondwindcpap.com you can get a great bipap for about $650. Masks are about $100. Basically, that's all you need.
I don't know where you got that extensive list from.

Last edited by LSAT on Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shinino

Post by Shinino » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:11 am

Julie wrote:What are 'applicators' that you talk about - I'm unaware of any parts by that name. Are you referring to headgear (straps)? A mask is a mask and you just put it on... there's no 'applicator' needed, nor do you need both a full face and nasal mask (parts or otherwise), one will do the job. And I'm not sure what you mean by a 'monitoring device' - are you referring to an oximeter, or to software (free to download from the forum)? Oximeters are by no means part of standard therapy and are only incidentally sold by Cpap supply dealers in any case... I'd say the majority of us don't use them. And hoses are only a few bucks each... unless of course you're going for the specialty ones like the Climateline... again not necessarily standard and not necessarily 'needed' by any means. Same for a chinstrap. And to my knowledge humidifier chambers are usually part of the set-up, not separate items. Maybe try adding up what you actually need (or were prescribed) to use Cpap, rather than trying to get someone else to buy the whole menu for you. Secondwindcpap.com sells equipment at very good prices, and you should be able to get standard stuff that will do the job. Was the high deductible your choice or the company's?

Perhaps if you thought of yourself as just a patient, a person with a treatable condition like any other, rather than a "sufferer" you might feel less bad about the situation.

Why do I have the feeling you've been here before under another name? A LOT of times?
Why do I have the feeling that people who have asked you for help have run screaming for the hills? I mean, seriously. What a first comment. It honestly makes me want to log right out and go back where people actually bother to help.

I know, I know, I used the generic word 'help' instead of the proper words like 'advice' or 'suggestions' or 'tell me what the heck all these things on my prescription /are/.

You were doing sorta-okay, until you got to those last two lines. I don't know who peed in your cornflakes, but honestly, you don't know jack about me or my situation, so thinking I"m some other person really doesn't do anything but make me ignore anything you say.

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:14 am

If I was wrong, I was wrong and so sorry, but you'd have to know the history of the other one to understand and everyone else here would agree. But... sorry.

Shinino

Post by Shinino » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:14 am

To everyone else: Thanks for the input. I've looked at SecondWindCPAP.com, and if this thing from Sleepapnea.org doesn't go through, I"m going to be checking them out in February, when I have the money available. The issue is, like I said earlier, I honestly don't know what half of the stuff in my prescription really means, and my doctor's office has been less than helpful, telling me only, "We'll put in an order for the accessories for you," as opposed to "This is exactly what you need A, B, C and D.'

I apologize if I let my frustration with this entire thing show in some of my posts.

I'm currently looking at this: http://www.secondwindcpap.com/Respironi ... _Auto.html for $500 (with humidifier) but I'm not sure what mask I should be looking at, and what other supplies I need. That's pretty much where I'm lost -- if some of the stuff on my prescription are included with other things -- great, let me know this.

Shinino

Post by Shinino » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:16 am

Julie wrote:If I was wrong, I was wrong and so sorry, but you'd have to know the history of the other one to understand and everyone else here would agree. But... sorry.

It's fine. I probably over-reacted. Not a great night's sleep, as I'm sure everyone here can understand.

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:58 am

If you can DL your script to e.g. Imgur.com, then link it to this thread, we can tell you what it all means...

ChrisD

Post by ChrisD » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:57 am

Shinino wrote:To everyone else: Thanks for the input. I've looked at SecondWindCPAP.com, and if this thing from Sleepapnea.org doesn't go through, I"m going to be checking them out in February, when I have the money available. The issue is, like I said earlier, I honestly don't know what half of the stuff in my prescription really means, and my doctor's office has been less than helpful, telling me only, "We'll put in an order for the accessories for you," as opposed to "This is exactly what you need A, B, C and D.'

I apologize if I let my frustration with this entire thing show in some of my posts.

I'm currently looking at this: http://www.secondwindcpap.com/Respironi ... _Auto.html for $500 (with humidifier) but I'm not sure what mask I should be looking at, and what other supplies I need. That's pretty much where I'm lost -- if some of the stuff on my prescription are included with other things -- great, let me know this.
Hello Shinino

I think your doctor wrote a pretty generic prescription:
Auto BIPAP (12 min, 17 Max, 6 PS), Humidifier, Heated tubing, applicator for oral/nasal interface, full face applicator, full face mask cushion, cushion for nasal mask, pillows for nasal mask, monitoring device, nasal applicator for mask, headgear, chinstrap, standard tubing, disposable and non-disposable filters and water chamber for the Humidifier.
It's basically saying:
Machine: Auto BIPAP (12 min, 17 Max, 6 PS) with a humidifier
Mask: your choice of a nasal (pillows or mask) or a full face mask, including straps and replacement parts for the masks.
Other: A heated hose and air filters for the BIPAP machine

Note that a lot of doctors and practices are more concerned with setting you up with a reoccurring purchase of overpriced supplies than making sure your therapy is working. Coming to this forum is a great way to learn about what you really need. (once you get over the initial abuse )

As to what mask to get: that's a matter of what fits and what is comfortable on your face. Some folks find a mask that works the first time and others take months and many masks to find the "right" one. See if your doctor has some you can try one for fit and feel. If not check CPAP.com for what masks are out there and check back in this forum and see if anyone has one they will be willing to donate.

As to supplies: my personal opinion is to keep at least 1 spare of everything so in case something breaks at 9PM you won't spend the night without the BIPAP. You really don't have to change masks, cushions, pillows, hoses, humidifier tank etc. at the recommended intervals as long as you keep them clean. Replace them when they truly wear out.

I will also recommend SecondWindCPAP.com to you as opposed to CraigsList for the machine. CraigsList is good if you know exactly what make/model machine you need and how to check the condition/hours used of the machine. SecondWindCPAP.com will give you a phone number and someone knowledgeable to talk to.

Good luck,

Chris

ps. Merry Christmas & Happy New Year.
Hosehead since 2011-11-30

Machine: ResMed AirSense 11Autoset
Mask: ResMed AirFit N20 Nasal Mask
Software: ResMed myAir and OSCAR -Open Source CPAP Analysis Reporter

Cardsfan

Post by Cardsfan » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:17 pm

It is bettter to get your machine from secondwind., they have a one year warranty. If you buy off a private person, you have zero warranty, even if it is a brand new machine. Since the warranty on a new machine is not transferable to anyone but the original buyer.

Look at masks on https://www.cpap.com and read the reviews. Masks come in sizes and you will need to learn what size you take. This is where your local DME can help out, they can fit you for a mask and should have different sizes for you to try. (Even if you don't buy it from them).
http://Www.cpap.com has a 30 day free trial period for masks. If it doesn't work for you, you can send it back.

I'd start looking for a mask now. Any mask will fit with any machine. So you do not have to worry about co ordinating them. If you keep an eye on here, masks come up for sale , as little as $20 for gently used.

I know it's confusing, but here's what you need:
Bi-pap machine with humidifier.- it will come with "accessories" (long hose, and a filter)
Mask.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:37 pm

Cardsfan wrote:It is bettter to get your machine from secondwind., they have a one year warranty. If you buy off a private person, you have zero warranty, even if it is a brand new machine. Since the warranty on a new machine is not transferable to anyone but the original buyer.

Look at masks on https://www.cpap.com and read the reviews. Masks come in sizes and you will need to learn what size you take. This is where your local DME can help out, they can fit you for a mask and should have different sizes for you to try. (Even if you don't buy it from them).
http://Www.cpap.com has a 30 day free trial period for masks. If it doesn't work for you, you can send it back.

I'd start looking for a mask now. Any mask will fit with any machine. So you do not have to worry about co ordinating them. If you keep an eye on here, masks come up for sale , as little as $20 for gently used.

I know it's confusing, but here's what you need:
Bi-pap machine with humidifier.- it will come with "accessories" (long hose, and a filter)
Mask.
Some good suggestions but a couple of comments:

Often DME's don't want your business if all you'll be buying is a mask from them. It takes too much paperwork for them to make much profit. And they aren't necessarily very good at fitting--they may present you with a limited selection and be unwilling to let you try it on. They are SUPPOSED to be good at fitting masks, but often they are not. A mask fit while sitting up in a chair and without a machine running is no good anyway. So while you may try a DME for a mask fitting, you may or may not be better off than doing it on your own.

Pick a few masks you think you might like. Go to the MANUFACTURER's website for that mask and look around--almost all of them have printable fitting templates or fitting instructions. You can determine what size using their guides.

Cpap.com has return insurance, but it's NOT free on every mask. So be sure you look at what they say for the particular mask you are looking at--some don't have any return options, others you have to pay for the "return insurance". Usually it's the very brand new masks that have free return insurance. If you plan to order from CPAP.com, they can
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

Shinino

Post by Shinino » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:42 am

Thanks again.

Good news is that I now have $200 in my 'Buy a BIPAP' fund, thanks to family with Christmas gifts

Worst case scenario, I'll buy a machine in about 45 days

WindCpap

Post by WindCpap » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:55 am

Before you buy used, make sure you know that the BIPAP will meet your needs. It isn't clear in your post why you need a BIPAP over a CPAP, and different BIPAP machines (while mechanically identical) have different software for different needs. It's a way the suppliers segment the market for maximum profit.