Recall / Quality of F&P Icon+'s?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
whinybreather

Recall / Quality of F&P Icon+'s?

Post by whinybreather » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:26 pm

Hi,

I had a F&P Icon+ Auto from 2012-2015 when it stopped turning on... After I bought an identical (but newer) replacement Icon+ Auto, I found out that this was a known issue, and in fact there was a recall on certain models before 2013:

https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/ ... m?id=72581

So my question is: Have people found that the problem was fixed after 2013?

P.S. I should note that my original Icon wasn't even in one of the "bad" production lots, but it still broke for the same reason as the recall Icons. So that doesn't make me feel very easy.

So have I just discovered a conspiracy with Fisher Paykel? Or am I crazy and this is an issue that has since been resolved?

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Recall / Quality of F&P Icon+'s?

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:32 pm

Maybe you should be asking them.
Send a letter, expressing your concerns, omitting any profanity or demands.
Simply ask politely if there is anything they can do to renew your faith in their company.

whinybreather

Post by whinybreather » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:43 pm

I appreciate your idea, but the sad fact is that I now own a new F&P Icon. If other people are saying that the quality issue hasn't been fixed, then I'll take the small financial loss and go return the new F&P icon for some other brand/model, you know?

So sending F&P a letter is a great option, I need to know what people's feelings are on the F&P icon asap.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:48 pm

whinybreather wrote:I need to know what people's feelings are on the F&P icon asap.
There are dozens of reviews from patients here - https://www.cpap.com/productpage/fisher ... eviews-tab

I haven't read any of them, but as you can easily see, the overall rating is very high.

whinybreather

Post by whinybreather » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:53 pm

Thank you for reminding me of the customer reviews.

However, I do worry (and warning I'm about to put my tin-foil hat on) that F&P has some kind of ability to fix really bad reviews.

From what I understand, F&P didn't even notify most of the durable medical suppliers that there even was a recall. And when my local sleep lab called up, the conversation went like this:

My sleep lab said, "Hi we want this replaced under the recall"
F&P said, "There is no recall."
My sleep lab replied, "I'm looking at the recall document from the FDA right now."

So I have some reason to be concerned that F&P is covering this up.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:10 pm

whinybreather wrote:So I have some reason to be concerned that F&P is covering this up.
https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/ ... m?id=72581

whinybreather

Post by whinybreather » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:55 pm

yes, I know. I posted that FDA recall in the original post. But I myself can prove that I bought a CPAP that didn't fall within the production lots that were labeled as defective, and still it failed for the very same reason.

If two devices both fail for the same reason, and one is labeled as part of the recall, what makes mine not part of the recall?

Gasper62

Post by Gasper62 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:10 pm

Dump your F&P that broke (and the one you suspect will break), get a proven ResMed or Respironics machine and don't look back would be my advice. "Fool me once" ring a bell by any chance ?

whinybreather

Post by whinybreather » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:38 pm

Gasper62 wrote:Dump your F&P that broke (and the one you suspect will break), get a proven ResMed or Respironics machine and don't look back would be my advice. "Fool me once" ring a bell by any chance ?
Yea, my gut is saying, trade it in for anything else, but my durable medical supplier will only take the "new" CPAP back in exchange for a "gently used" CPAP since my "new" CPAP has been used by me for 3 days.

But of course, if other people tell me that the F&P issue has been resolved then I don't have to deal with the hassle of returning the CPAP.

God, this has been such a fiasco. Wife had me on the couch for a week while we waited for the replacement CPAP.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:46 pm

Do people that chase conspiracy theories do any good for themselves? Just keep using the new machine you bought.
whinybreather wrote:I bought an identical (but newer) replacement Icon+ Auto
How did you pay for this machine?
whinybreather wrote:Wife had me on the couch for a week while we waited for the replacement CPAP.
Many of us have backup machines in case of a sudden machine failure. I highly recommend you have a backup machine.

You don't want to have a stroke while waiting for a machine.

whinybreather

Post by whinybreather » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:59 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:Do people that chase conspiracy theories do any good for themselves? Just keep using the new machine you bought.
haha, I'm the one who made the joke about it being a conspiracy theory, but honestly my sleep technician said that he's seen many people with failed F&P Icons. All I'm looking for is other people that can corroborate my sleep technician's anecdotal evidence.

Seriously, there's a reason why class action suits are a legal option-- companies aren't in the habit of giving out money until enough people complain.
ChicagoGranny wrote:How did you pay for this machine?
I paid for it with my medical insurance. I didn't meet my deductible yet so it was 100% cash.
ChicagoGranny wrote:Many of us have backup machines in case of a sudden machine failure. I highly recommend you have a backup machine.

You don't want to have a stroke while waiting for a machine.
Yes, thank you. I think I will invest in a backup.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:22 pm

whinybreather wrote:Seriously, there's a reason why class action suits are a legal option
Sure there is - it's so lawyers on both sides can get rich.

When the lawyers are through picking over the carcass, you get a $50 coupon toward the purchase of a New ICON at MSRP.

whinybreather

Post by whinybreather » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:16 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
whinybreather wrote:Seriously, there's a reason why class action suits are a legal option
Sure there is - it's so lawyers on both sides can get rich.

When the lawyers are through picking over the carcass, you get a $50 coupon toward the purchase of a New ICON at MSRP.
Hahahahaha that's so funny. I seriously laughed out loud. Nice one!

Gasper62

Post by Gasper62 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:38 pm

FWIW....... CPAP.COM has a good price on a PR System One REMStar 60 Series Auto machine that doesn't cost much more than the F&P's

nivtherapist

Post by nivtherapist » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:23 pm

I deal with the F+P Icons on a daily basis. They know that they have a problem with it so the warranty for the units 2012 and up (The light gray ones) have extended warranties. If it stops powering on, notify your distributor. They SHOULD take it back and replace it with a newer 2015 model. I have had to send back at least 5 of these in the past 14 days.