Airsense 10 Humdifier Chamber

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Krelvin

Re: Airsense 10 Humdifier Chamber

Post by Krelvin » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:08 pm

I have 3 of these, two at the house and one in my office at work

AcuRite 00613A1 Indoor Humidity Monitor https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013BKDO8

Primarily for showing humidity (large display) but also shows temp. Battery will last a very long time in them.
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

MarylandCPAPer

Post by MarylandCPAPer » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:22 pm

Pugsy wrote: Curious though...is it okay during the summer or do you run out of water during the summer also?
During the summer, the humidifier tank was about 7/8 empty at a humidity setting of 5 or 6, with 8 being the highest. I had central air with 0% humidity on the AC unit, the same air ducts as my heat uses. So, no, it is not a winter-only problem.

If the A10 had the 380 ml tank that is quoted in the specs and that the S9 is quoted as having, there probably wouldn't be a problem.

Started CPAP 12/18/09 Pressure 13. Changed to APAP 1/18/10, Pressure 10-16. 4/2014:Switched to AirFit P10 mask. PR System One REMstar Auto Series 550 with A-Flex for 5.5 years. 7/2015 to present: AirSense 10 AutoSet FOR HER. Range: 10-20

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:25 pm

Krelvin wrote:I have 3 of these, two at the house and one in my office at work

AcuRite 00613A1 Indoor Humidity Monitor https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013BKDO8
Thanks. I just put it in my cart and will be doing a little more shopping this evening.
My rural postal lady hates my guts already and she hasn't seen it all yet.
All my Christmas shopping either on Amazon or EBay (had to use EBay for one thing because the Amazon seller had only one of what I wanted and I need 2). All my Christmas shopping has been done online this week. One last person to buy for but she hasn't given be any sort of idea where to start so that's her fault and not mine.

I got it not just for the humidity...I want to know bedroom temp as I swear it is 10 degrees colder in there in the winter than it is in the living room...so I will see if I am close to being right.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Greg Riddle

Post by Greg Riddle » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:27 am

Pugsy wrote:
Greg Riddle wrote:Now you know 2. Sometimes I barely make out over 8 hours and run out. You have seen my leak rates also and are extremely low.

I would l like a larger tank
Now I know of 2.

Curious though...is it okay during the summer or do you run out of water during the summer also?
What humidity setting are you using? Have you checked the ambient humidity in your home?
I know what setting MarylandCpaper uses. If I ever get my hands on one of the AirSense/AirCurve machines I plan to make special note of water consumption since I snort water. Image

Also remember that pressures used will also impact water consumption and if I remember right your pressures are up there pretty high and I would expect you to use more water just because of that variable alone.
MarylandCpaper uses relatively low pressures which makes her water consumption all the more puzzling.

There are several factors that affect water consumption.
1. Humidity setting of course.
2. Ambient humidity in the bedroom. Winter is a known "drier" time because of cold air and the furnaces we use. Already I have noticed a substantial increase in water consumption on my S9 just from the furnace being on with no other changes to anything on the machine.
3. Pressures used (more pressure will use more water).
4. Leaks...and yes I know leaks aren't an issue for you either...again your leak lines also would probably would put mine to shame. Image

Please note that I am in no way saying nothing is wrong here. I have now way to know but this isn't something that we see tons of people chiming in on like we did with the S9 bird call thing.
MarylandCPAPer wrote: How does one complain to Resmed?
You have to go through whomever you got your machine from...the DME. That's who starts the process.
We as end users have no way to really do anything about these sort of issues. You can call ResMed and complain and they will listen but they will tell you to return the unit to the DME where you got it. ResMed won't accept returns from us users.

If it were me I would take the machine down to their office and plop it on their desk and explain that I wanted a different machine because this one uses all the water in 4 to 5 hours at a relatively low humidity setting and that it was unacceptable to have to get up in the middle of the night to add more water.
What you are experiencing is not anywhere near normal. I would also get whatever those room humidity measurement tools are called (I forget the name) and I would document the ambient room humidity in the bedroom and have that information written down and stuck on the machine when I plopped it on their desk.

I think there is a real good chance that something is broken or not functioning properly.
I ran out of water a tree times over the summer. Humidity is about 50-55 percent. I do have higher pressure. 20-21. I never really mentioned the issue because I think if I'm running out of water at our above 8 hours it's ok because I usually sleep 7 hours. The humidifier settings ate set to manual with the temp at 86 and the humidity at max. This may be the biggest factor to my issue with using a lot of water. I've tried to turn down the humidity but when I do I get very dry and sore nasal passages.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:23 am

Greg Riddle wrote:ran out of water a tree times over the summer. Humidity is about 50-55 percent. I do have higher pressure. 20-21. I never really mentioned the issue because I think if I'm running out of water at our above 8 hours it's ok because I usually sleep 7 hours. The humidifier settings ate set to manual with the temp at 86 and the humidity at max. This may be the biggest factor to my issue with using a lot of water. I've tried to turn down the humidity but when I do I get very dry and sore nasal passages.
If I sleep for close to 9 hours I will most likely run the tank dry. Since that is rare for me to get that many hours and I use maximum humidity also because if I didn't my nasal mucosa would give me great problems...and I expect it to run dry or almost run dry with that many hours with my humidity selection.
It's been that way with either my S9 machines (have had 3 over the years) and the PR S1 machines (have had probably 6 to 8 over the years).
Like you, since it lasts all night for me and it's really unusual for me to sleep over 8 hours, I don't really consider it a big problem for me.
Where I live isn't all that dry in terms of ambient humidity except when the winter hits and the house furnace is used or if I happen to fire up the fireplace.

So I get what I expect in terms of water consumption but what I wouldn't accept is what is happening to MarylandCpaper and that's why I would be taking the machine back. It's unacceptable to have to get up after 4 hours and smell a stinky hot humidifier and add water.
We have pretty much eliminated all the other known culprits in her case except the machine/humidifier/sensor thing.

I have had a few time where I forgot to top off the water chamber and it has run dry...and it stinks and a few times I have slept through it and wake up to some really crappy nasal issues because the nasal mucosa dried out. It takes me days to get the nasal mucosa back in a good happy state and its a miserable few days getting there.

The machine needs to go back to the DME...something is not right as this issue is not a common problem.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Re: Airsense 10 Humdifier Chamber and DreamStation

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:33 am

My A10 ran dry the first night I used it on auto. Taking it off auto and using manual controls helps some. I will be taking mine back and using my S9. My DME has offered me the DreamStation as a possible solution? Anyone have the DreamStation that used the S9 or A10 previously?

Donnamkcon

Post by Donnamkcon » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:23 pm

Hi all I just found this site and have had leaking issues with my water chamber leaking small at first just at the base were the metal and plastic join (I found this out the hard way) I was wondering why after a few months of normal use all of a sudden it was out of water before the morning came. I keep my unit on my wooden head board so I would refill it and place it back in the unit. And by morning time it was dry I took the chamber to my kitchen and filled it and set it down on the counter for a few minutes when I came back the water chamber was setting in a puddle of water. This had apparently started as a slow leak and then became bigger as I continued to use it. So I go and move the unit off my headboard and discover water damage to my wood and water damage inside the drawer under the unit. I pulled out the drawer and discovered black mold under the drawer and inside the shelving of the headboard.
Needless to say my husband and I had been getting a lot of headaches once we discovered the black mold we realized how dangerous this is for those that have Cpap machines and slow or fast leaking water chambers
I did report it by phone to Resmed and they told me to call back my supplier. I already reported this to my supplier and they said that's okay we're getting ready to send you out a new chamber under your regular plan. How dumb was that. Not acare to the one that leaked !
and I have no Cpap unit until the new one gets here. But Resmed is the manufacturer of defective water chambers and this defective water chamber damaged my expensive head board. I had to have the black mold immitgated from headboard.
And the trouble breathing with not know mold was right there by my head.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:38 pm

WindCpap wrote:I don't have an issue with the size of my humidifier chamber, but my house is very well sealed, and my pressure is only 9 cmH20 making the amount of vent flow fairly minimal. I have heard on this board several complaints of the chamber running dry at night. How many people have reported this to Resmed? It wouldn't be too much of a stretch to produce an extended capacity chamber, but Resmed definitely won't be considering a design change unless they hear from people who are having problems.

In the meantime, it there are some handy people here, I am sure somebody who has having the issue could come up with a diy solution.
respironics chambers hold less water than resmeds...

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Doublev

Post by Doublev » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:59 pm

palerider wrote: respironics chambers hold less water than resmeds...
Yes.. a lot less. I filled the dreamstation chamber and dumped into the aircurve to compare and it filled the resmed to about 60-70%.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:23 pm

I filled the dreamstation chamber and dumped into the aircurve to compare and it filled the resmed to about 60-70%.
DreamStation water chamber 325 mL

AirSense 10 water chamber 380 mL

The Respironics hold approx 15% less than the ResMed