Who pays for Resmed cellular connection

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Funkdoobiest

Who pays for Resmed cellular connection

Post by Funkdoobiest » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:55 am

I received my Resmed Aircurve ASV today. First try on ASV. We'll see how it goes. I was wondering about Resmed's communication. I believe they all have a cellular modem built in and it automatically transmits your data to a central hub somewhere and my Doc, DME, and probably my insurance company can monitor it and make adjustments as needed. Pretty neat but I admit I'm not too wild about the privacy issue. Anyways, I was wondering who pays for this service? Is there some special law that our taxes cover medical communications or something?

LSAT

Re: Who pays for Resmed cellular connection

Post by LSAT » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:07 pm

Funkdoobiest wrote:I received my Resmed Aircurve ASV today. First try on ASV. We'll see how it goes. I was wondering about Resmed's communication. I believe they all have a cellular modem built in and it automatically transmits your data to a central hub somewhere and my Doc, DME, and probably my insurance company can monitor it and make adjustments as needed. Pretty neat but I admit I'm not too wild about the privacy issue. Anyways, I was wondering who pays for this service? Is there some special law that our taxes cover medical communications or something?

I'm guessing that it only will work if you have WiFi available. Even then, I doubt anyone monitors it.

HeadlongFlight

Post by HeadlongFlight » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:27 pm

You can't just put a Wi-Fi device in your house with no configuration and expect it to work, nor would you expect the machine to randomly attempt to use open Wi-Fi networks, so surely it is cellular.

I suspect the CPAP manufacturers contract for a specific amount of bandwidth usage expected over the life of the machine from cellular providers, as they can predict what they intend to transmit each day, and build that into the cost.

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:29 pm

But don't expect any 'adjustments' to be made - the data they're using is for insce... to see if you're compliant for the initial period (4 hrs/day etc), but no clinical data goes to them and no one's watching for it, so if you have questions about Cpap treatment, you need to download e.g. Sleepyhead software, post results here and we'll help with any tweaking required.

PoolQ

Post by PoolQ » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:32 pm

Nothing to do with taxes. The data goes to Resmed and they pay the bill. Everyone you listed has access to the data. The issues is not privacy it's compliance and perhaps at some level that Resmed gets to know how customers are using their machines. This is not research. If few people are using the heated hose, then they can find out why and improve it. If few people change their settings and then stop using the machine, Resmed can increase education.

The data link does NOT transfer raw data, which is why you need to bring in the SD card when you visit the Dr. The data link is compliance data only. Honestly no one cares much what you do with your machine or who you are. Trends of the entire customer base are useful, individuals only for compliance.
Sleeping MUCH better now

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:41 pm

It's more than just hours of use...it's AHI and leak data too. That's how people can go to the MyAir website and get what data they do get in terms of scoring and all that.
It's probably tied to the machine serial number as no personal information can be transmitted because no personal information can be stored on the machine.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Heart Jumping

Post by Heart Jumping » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:55 pm

Pugsy wrote:It's more than just hours of use...it's AHI and leak data too. That's how people can go to the MyAir website and get what data they do get in terms of scoring and all that.
It's probably tied to the machine serial number as no personal information can be transmitted because no personal information can be stored on the machine.
Exactly. So to clarify:

1. Yes it really is cellular. ResMed is no doubt contracted with one or more of the national cell companies.

2. Since your name isn't in the machine it's not transmitting any personal data. Though it is tied to your name on the ResMed site so if someone hacked the ResMed site, they'd could potentially tie the two together. I'm sure it's the top priority of a lot of hackers to view peoples sleep data .

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:04 pm

And yes settings can also be changed through the wireless.
This is from the manual.

Wireless
Your AirCurve 10 device is equipped with cellular communication. This allows your therapy data to
be wirelessly transmitted to your care provider to enhance the quality of your treatment. It also
allows therapy settings to be updated in a more timely manner or your device software to be
upgraded. The Wireless signal strength icon displayed at the top right of your screen indicates
the signal strength.
The data is usually transmitted after therapy has stopped. In order to make sure that your data is
transferred, leave your device connected to the power outlet at all times and make sure that it is not
in Airplane Mode.
Notes:
 Therapy data might not be transmitted if you use it outside of the country or region of purchase.
 Devices with cellular communication might not be available in all regions
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

flightco

Post by flightco » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:18 pm

It is cellular and my DME was paying for it (or so they said)

It shows more than compliance. I was on the phone with my DME and they were reviewing my information while I spoke. They offered to up my pressure and I told them not to worry, I just did. they started to get a little indignant then remembered previous conversations with me (in short, they all revolved around I am responsible for my health care and will do whatever is necessary), they actually laughed and said OK, we will let Dr. --- know the pressure has been raised after reviewing the reports with you.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:31 pm

Heart Jumping wrote:2. Since your name isn't in the machine it's not transmitting any personal data. Though it is tied to your name on the ResMed site so if someone hacked the ResMed site, they'd could potentially tie the two together. I'm sure it's the top priority of a lot of hackers to view peoples sleep data .
Yes...the name and serial number could potentially be tied if someone hacked whatever ResMed uses to keep track of whomever has that particular machine serial number but we don't know how that is stored at ResMed or at the DME.
For all we know it could just be a patient ID number somewhere and then someone would have to hack the DME to get patient ID tied to John Doe patient.
A lot of work for sure to maybe get personal information to go along with the ton of really good stuff like the AHI and leak and hours of use.
In terms of big brother watching...the transmitted data would be last on my list of worries. There's no money to be made and hackers target money making stuff first.

If someone is really concerned about big brother watching...it's easy to put the blinders on him...just switch the machine over to "airplane mode".
Most DMEs won't be looking after compliance requirements are met anyway unless someone calls in with a problem or something.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:31 pm

They offered to up my pressure and
Legally they can't do this without an order from your doctor. That is usually the argument they try to gives us about why it is illegal for us to so much as look at our data.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

xyz

Post by xyz » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:13 pm

> If someone is really concerned about big brother watching ...

Privacy is always an issue.

Why should it be so lucy-goosey for this and so difficult for other issues?

Almost all of us at some time or the other have run into the control freak at one of our medical service providers. The one who will not give you a copy of _your own_ medical records without you filling out a hippa form. Let alone let your spouse pick up a copy. So you fill out a hippa release only to find out that 1) it's only good for one time (one pickup) or 2) for a max of one year. If I have to fill out a hippa release for _me_ I expect to be good for as long as I'm around.

And frustration mounts when you're dealing with a large provider (e.g., hospital, insurance company, nationwide dme) where the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. "Sorry, I don't know anything about that. I don't have a copy of the hippa release you allege you filled out."

The fact is that you do not know exactly who all your machine data goes to when it is sent out cellularly.

A more important issue, potentially, is hardware security. Or lack thereof.

> settings can also be changed through the wireless.

Exactly.

If you follow the news, you'll remember the following stories:

A techie demonstrated (for the media) how he could apply the brakes (and other functions) on another car that he was following.

At a security conference in Las Vegas there was a demonstration how an insulin pump (worn by some type 1 diabetics) could have its settings changed. Potentially lethal.

There are more examples like this. Whether something is likely is not the point. It should not be possible. That is, there is no good argument to be made to allow this to happen.

> it's easy to put the blinders on him...just switch the machine over to "airplane mode".

Be sure to do that once compliance is established.

Heart Jumping

Post by Heart Jumping » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:29 pm

OkyDoky wrote:And yes settings can also be changed through the wireless.

Your AirCurve 10 device is equipped with cellular communication. This allows your therapy data to
be wirelessly transmitted to your care provider to enhance the quality of your treatment. It also
allows therapy settings to be updated in a more timely manner or your device software to be
upgraded.
Reread that. It could just mean that having your care provider be able to read your treatment could allow them to tell you to change your settings in a more timely manner. It could also be something they put in the manual for legal reasons. OR your interpretation could be correct and it's possible.

Funkdoobiest

Post by Funkdoobiest » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:32 pm

Thank you xyz. I was hoping someone that knew exactly what was going on with this cellular connection could clarify who was paying for it. The fact of the matter is that someone is paying for your data, therefore it is valuable to that someone. In the future, it may be valuable to someone else. That data may at some point be used for you or against you, depends on who wants it. I could see someday that your AHI becomes part of your medical record and who knows, maybe someone gets denied life insurance or something. Don't think something like that could happen? Don't be so naive. It could happen illegally or in someone's gray area interpretation of the law and you wouldn;t even know it, or it could become law (just look at the ACA tax).

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:49 pm

Like I said....if it concerns a person that anyone...big brother or whomever...is watching...then turn off the transmission capability.
Even if still within the window where compliance issues might be needed..there are other ways to get the data to the DME that don't involve the cellular device.

Please note I am NOT saying that it shouldn't be a concern...I understand everything that was pointed out above. I am just saying that there are ways to get around it if a person is concerned.

Or a person could do what I do...use a machine that has zero transmission abilities period.
If I were using a machine that transmitted anything...I most likely would turn the damn thing off (utilize airplane mode).
Maybe not so much because I was worried or not ...but for the general principle of the thing.

I worry more about my bank account/card getting hacked ...I have experienced that joy first hand.
My husband bought some stuff in England one day...and he was real good at it because he was on the road in Oklahoma when he did it.