HELP! Something has changed...

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jagzoo

Re: HELP! Something has changed...

Post by jagzoo » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:19 pm

Good Luck!!

tlohse

Post by tlohse » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:28 pm

I haven't been keeping up on it myself but you should be cleaning and changing out cpap equipment like masks on a regular basis.
Thomas Lohse
Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Auto Set With Heated hose and Humidifier
Mask: ResMed AirFit P10 Size M Nasal Pillow with headgear
Mask: ResMed AirFit N30i/P30i
Original Mask: ResMed Mirage FX Nasal
CPAP USER SINCE JUNE 2013

McSleepy

Post by McSleepy » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:53 am

I'm really curious to find out how this one developed, but it seems like the OP doesn't check back here very often.
McSleepy

ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto; Puritan-Bennett Breeze nasal pillow mask; healthy, active, middle-aged man; tall, athletic build; stomach sleeper; on CPAP since 2003; lives @ 5000 ft; surgically-corrected deviated septum and turbinates; regular nasal washes

Cannuck 1

Post by Cannuck 1 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:14 pm

I wrote this on another site and it might help.
You can do a simple test to check if mask is plugged or damaged.
Disconnect mask hose from cpap - dawn on mask as normal and take a breath trough your mouth and plug mask hose with one of your fingers and exhale threw your nose.
If you feel a lot of resistence it needs some care or replacing, I was reading about the p10 is prone to plugging over time because of fine exhaust meshing they used.(usally a cleaning is needed like other posters have mentioned)

DD

Post by DD » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:45 pm

McSleepy wrote:It is impossible to know all possible reasons for such symptoms but one thing to consider, and which can explain the sudden change, would be a psychological event. You don't necessarily need an obvious change in your mental state, those things can occur and be triggered by changes that are imperceptible to our consciousness. Regardless of the exact origin, if it is happening, it would be consistent with what you are observing: your data is mostly unchanged (low AHI), once you fall asleep you can sleep well, but you have hard times falling asleep. If all else (suggested by others so far) fails, I suggest one simple experiment: set the minimum pressure higher (like 13 or more), set the EPR at its maximum (for comfort exhaling) and see if it makes a difference. It's a 5-minute test but it may be your answer. You may be a candidate for switching to bi-level CPAP but at this time you could just try changing the settings and see if it helps.
McSleepy

Hi. I'm having the same problem. Used CPAP for 6 years (not happily, either) and it helped a little (I know because when I fell asleep without it I REALLY felt it) so I make sure not to do that. I don't have SLEEPYHEAD software. Where do I get it and are there simple instructions?

MY MAIN PROBLEM is that I'm now feeling sleepy a lot. My new doc read my Resmed card and said everything looks fine but I'm grogged out a lot! Sleeping a LOT more lately, daytime, too. Not tired, but very sleepy. My new doc gave me MONAFIDIL and I used it for the first time today and it helped a litte. I'm a night owl who's always functioned better later in the day and late at night, but two hours after I wake up I want to go back to sleep, and if I fight it, it continues. This never happened in the past. I started using a chin strap just in case that's a new problem but it falls off a lot because it has only one band around the top of my head and I need TWO bands. My DME said she doesn't have that in stock.

I don't want to make this a long reply, so I'll stop for now.

Thanks in advance.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:49 pm

DD wrote:
McSleepy wrote:It is impossible to know all possible reasons for such symptoms but one thing to consider, and which can explain the sudden change, would be a psychological event. You don't necessarily need an obvious change in your mental state, those things can occur and be triggered by changes that are imperceptible to our consciousness. Regardless of the exact origin, if it is happening, it would be consistent with what you are observing: your data is mostly unchanged (low AHI), once you fall asleep you can sleep well, but you have hard times falling asleep. If all else (suggested by others so far) fails, I suggest one simple experiment: set the minimum pressure higher (like 13 or more), set the EPR at its maximum (for comfort exhaling) and see if it makes a difference. It's a 5-minute test but it may be your answer. You may be a candidate for switching to bi-level CPAP but at this time you could just try changing the settings and see if it helps.
McSleepy

Hi. I'm having the same problem. Used CPAP for 6 years (not happily, either) and it helped a little (I know because when I fell asleep without it I REALLY felt it) so I make sure not to do that. I don't have SLEEPYHEAD software. Where do I get it and are there simple instructions?

MY MAIN PROBLEM is that I'm now feeling sleepy a lot. My new doc read my Resmed card and said everything looks fine but I'm grogged out a lot! Sleeping a LOT more lately, daytime, too. Not tired, but very sleepy. My new doc gave me MONAFIDIL and I used it for the first time today and it helped a litte. I'm a night owl who's always functioned better later in the day and late at night, but two hours after I wake up I want to go back to sleep, and if I fight it, it continues. This never happened in the past. I started using a chin strap just in case that's a new problem but it falls off a lot because it has only one band around the top of my head and I need TWO bands. My DME said she doesn't have that in stock.

Thanks in advance.
First link in the Announcements section on the first page.

viewtopic/t88983/Pugsys-PointersSleepyH ... Hints.html

Which specific machine do you have? Is it a fully-data-capable machine? If not, it would be interesting to know what your doctor actually saw.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Post by Guest » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:53 pm

Wulfman... wrote:
DD wrote:
McSleepy

Thanks in advance.
First link in the Announcements section on the first page.

Den

Thanks. I just read that the card reader is $75 so I'll have to skip it. Besides, I'll be getting a new machine in 2 or 3 years. I'm just frustrated at my symptoms of sleepiness so much. I had this same thing a few months back. My doc put me on a stimulant but because of dry mouth I had to stop (at least for now). I don't want to take too many medications because I want to see what medication is doing what. I hope this makes sense.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:04 pm

Guest wrote:Thanks. I just read that the card reader is $75 so I'll have to skip it. Besides, I'll be getting a new machine in 2 or 3 years. I'm just frustrated at my symptoms of sleepiness so much. I had this same thing a few months back. My doc put me on a stimulant but because of dry mouth I had to stop (at least for now). I don't want to take too many medications because I want to see what medication is doing what. I hope this makes sense.
Which ResMed machine do you have? Is it an older S8? Those (actual ResMed) card readers have been hard to find for a long time. There were some others that came out some years ago that could be "rigged" to read the ResMed cards, but they were also not very cheap either.

Here's a forum search I just did on the "ACR38" which can be modified to read the cards.

search.php?keywords=ACR38

But, if you have a newer S9 machine, the SD card readers are only about $10.00. And, Sleepyhead will work with them.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Post by Guest » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:20 pm

Wulfman... wrote:
Guest wrote:Thanks. I just read that the card reader is $75 so I'll have to skip it. Besides, I'll be getting a new machine in 2 or 3 years. I'm just frustrated at my symptoms of sleepiness so much. I had this same thing a few months back. My doc put me on a stimulant but because of dry mouth I had to stop (at least for now). I don't want to take too many medications because I want to see what medication is doing what. I hope this makes sense.
Which ResMed machine do you have? Is it an older S8? Those (actual ResMed) card readers have been hard to find for a long time. There were some others that came out some years ago that could be "rigged" to read the ResMed cards, but they were also not very cheap either.

Here's a forum search I just did on the "ACR38" which can be modified to read the cards.

But, if you have a newer S9 machine, the SD card readers are only about $10.00. And, Sleepyhead will work with them.

Den

I have an S9 Autoset. Where can I get a card? Do I need a card reader for my computer ... and wires to attach it? I have a newer model laptop. Will I get more info than the doc got from the card he recently read that gave him my last 3 month's worth of data? Thanks!

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:29 pm

Guest wrote:
Wulfman... wrote:

Den

I have an S9 Autoset. Where can I get a card? Do I need a card reader for my computer ... and wires to attach it? I have a newer model laptop. Will I get more info than the doc got from the card he recently read that gave him my last 3 month's worth of data? Thanks!
Well, heck........you're almost "there".
Your S9 Autoset is fully data-capable.
Some computers have inbuilt SD card readers, but, they can be bought at Walmart or other stores that sell electronics or computers. SD cards can also be purchased at the same stores or online. Most are a form of USB plug-in. You won't need a "huge" SD capacity, but probably at least a couple of GBs. Same type of SD cards that are used for digital cameras.

And, the software is "free", so for $10 - $20 or so, you'll be in business of seeing your own data.

Den

User since 05/14/05

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:34 pm

Guest wrote: I have an S9 Autoset. Where can I get a card? Do I need a card reader for my computer ... and wires to attach it?
Any SD card will work. I got one at WalMart...Sandisk I think it was.
Are you sure that your S9 doesn't have a card already? The slot is on the back of the blower right above where the filter goes.

If your computer has a slot for a SD card then you don't need anything. Most new laptops will have a slot but sometimes they are hard to find.
If your computer doesn't have a slot for the SD card then you will need a little reader/adapter for the SD card and you can use one of the USB ports. So one end to plug into the USB port and the other end you plug the SD card in. Generic SD cards will work and cheap generic reader/adapter will work.

ResMed S9 machines used a SD card (about the size of a postage stamp).
ResMed S8 machines used what is called a Smart Card and is about the size of a credit card and those smart cards required the special card reader.

SleepyHead software only works with SD cards. You can also use ResScan software if you wish.
People using an older model ResMed machine with one of the Smart Cards have to use the special reader and ResScan software.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:35 pm

The "detailed" data is typically held for about 7 days and then cycles into the "summary history". But, there are ways of storing that for longer periods. It's really a good idea to download the card at least weekly to see what's happening.

Anyway, it will probably be much more data than your doctor saw or gave you.......if they gave you copies of the reports.
There are MANY examples of the Sleepyhead reports posted in many of the threads here........to see.

Den

User since 05/14/05

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:00 pm

Don't you already have an SD card if your doctor read it? You just push in on it and it will pop out. I'm not sure where they are located on the S9 but take a good look.
Here is a link to help you get started with Sleepyhead. https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

DD

Post by DD » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:18 am

OkyDoky wrote:Don't you already have an SD card if your doctor read it? You just push in on it and it will pop out. I'm not sure where they are located on the S9 but take a good look.
Here is a link to help you get started
THIS MESSAGE IS FOR EVERONE WHO REPLIED SINCE I CAN"T REPLY TO EVERYONE.

Thanks for the info. I know where the SD card is on my resmed and where the slot for the SD reader is on my laptop.
Amazing! Now all I have to do is download the software. Even MORE amazing is that I'll probably have more info than my docs now. I guess I'll have to take screen shots and upload them here... sounds logical.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:52 am

DD wrote: I'll probably have more info than my docs now. I guess I'll have to take screen shots and upload them here... sounds logical.
Yup.