Heated Tube and insulation won't stop rainout

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
larry_stocks

Heated Tube and insulation won't stop rainout

Post by larry_stocks » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:54 am

Hello everyone,

I have the S9 auto-set with the H5i heated humidifier, and I've been struggling to get my humidification levels right. I normally have it set to 5.0 (out of 6.0). which gives me essentially no rainout. The problem is, I've been congested when I wake up for a quite long time, so I figured an increase in humidity would help. I turn it up to 6.0 for a night - immediately get rain out. So I buy a snuggy for the normal tube. Doesn't work. I buy the "ClimateLine™ Tubing for S9™ and H5i™ Climate Control System". After a few weeks, I still consistently get rainout. My room is fairly cold (maybe 70 or so Fahrenheit), but not sub-arctic or anything. Any suggestions? Thanks!

SewTired

Re: Heated Tube and insulation won't stop rainout

Post by SewTired » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:18 am

I'm still a newbie, but when I get congestion, it's because I have the humidity too HIGH! Maybe you should try lowering a bit and see if that doesn't help? I get dry mouth when it's too low.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

herefishy

Post by herefishy » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:25 am

Do you have your machine below the level of your hose? That will help.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:22 pm

larry_stocks wrote:I buy the "ClimateLine™ Tubing for S9™ and H5i™ Climate Control System". After a few weeks, I still consistently get rainout.
So exactly what temperature did you set the ClimateLine heated hose to that you still get rain out?
And where is the rain out...is it in the hose or just at the mask level?
And exactly what mask are you using?

I use the S9 with the Climateline and my bedroom temps are always a lot colder (like low 60s to high 50s) than yours and I use maximum humidity with ClimateLine hose air temps around 80 degrees and I never get rain out either in hose or the mask.

Are you sure you aren't overfilling the water chamber each night? I mention it because from personal experience (I have over filled) if the water chamber is too full then water will be blown into the hose from the chamber and you get some big rain out issues.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:32 pm

When it comes to rainout, you can't overcome the Laws of Physics, at least in this Space Time Reality. Warm air holds more water, you can have the temp you want or the hudimity, not both at the same time.

Raising the room temp allows more moisture in the air. Some masks cool the air stream at some point, making rainout more of a problem. People using Nasal masks, tend to mouthbreath, making their treatment ineffective. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

WindCpap

Post by WindCpap » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:26 pm

In auto-mode, the climateline heated tube automatically sets the relative humidity to 80% for your hose temperature. If you have a very cold room, that will probably be pushing 90% by the time it gets to your face. At 100% relative humidity, you get rain out. It's physics. Set your machine to auto-climate, and adjust the hose temperature to adjust the amount of moisture you are getting. The higher the temperature, the more humidity.

Last edited by WindCpap on Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WindCpap

Post by WindCpap » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:27 pm

Goofproof wrote: People using Nasal masks, tend to mouthbreath
huh?

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:04 pm

WindCpap wrote:
Goofproof wrote: People using Nasal masks, tend to mouthbreath
huh?
Meaning, most users are given Nasal masks, even if they are mouthbreather, because the DME Provider can make more profit per unit. Why should they care about your health, they care about their bottom line.

If you don't quit from lack of correct treatment, they can make even more money selling you a different mask $$$. $$. Maybe they will even find one you can use. Jim

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

WindCpap

Post by WindCpap » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:28 pm

Goofproof wrote: Meaning, most users are given Nasal masks, even if they are mouthbreather, because the DME Provider can make more profit per unit. Why should they care about your health, they care about their bottom line.
If you don't quit from lack of correct treatment, they can make even more money selling you a different mask $$$. $$. Maybe they will even find one you can use. Jim
How many DMEs have you been to that you can make such generalizations?

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:41 pm

larry_stocks wrote:Hello everyone,

I have the S9 auto-set with the H5i heated humidifier, and I've been struggling to get my humidification levels right. I normally have it set to 5.0 (out of 6.0). which gives me essentially no rainout. The problem is, I've been congested when I wake up for a quite long time, so I figured an increase in humidity would help. I turn it up to 6.0 for a night - immediately get rain out. So I buy a snuggy for the normal tube. Doesn't work. I buy the "ClimateLine™ Tubing for S9™ and H5i™ Climate Control System". After a few weeks, I still consistently get rainout. My room is fairly cold (maybe 70 or so Fahrenheit), but not sub-arctic or anything. Any suggestions? Thanks!
More humidity frequently leads to MORE congestion......for many folks.

I've used cool, "passover" humidification since I started and my bedroom is between 60 and 65 degrees. No congestion and no rainout. I pull the hose (non-heated standard) under the covers next to me to warm it up.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:50 pm

WindCpap wrote:
Goofproof wrote: Meaning, most users are given Nasal masks, even if they are mouthbreather, because the DME Provider can make more profit per unit. Why should they care about your health, they care about their bottom line.
How many DMEs have you been to that you can make such generalizations?
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out. Reading the stories on this forum for any length of time will confirm it.
There IS more profit in nasal masks. Too many people are given nasal masks for various reasons. Too many never figure out why they have nasal congestion or how to resolve it. And, usually they're told the wrong way to solve the problem......which makes the problem worse.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:14 pm

Funny... the OP has not responded and nobody knows what type of mask they may have?

I've never had a nasal mask or even tried one, but then I don't get rain out either.
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

WindCpap

Post by WindCpap » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:30 pm

Wulfman... wrote:
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out. Reading the stories on this forum for any length of time will confirm it.
There IS more profit in nasal masks. Too many people are given nasal masks for various reasons. Too many never figure out why they have nasal congestion or how to resolve it. And, usually they're told the wrong way to solve the problem......which makes the problem worse.

Den
Because the hearsay on an internet forum is enough to figure out what motivates medical suppliers, and classify them all as inhuman, money hungry, and incompetent?

I am not sure how capitalizing the word "IS" makes your sentence any more true. To test out your statement, I did some price comparisons to see if this was true. I compared the airfit P10, and airfit F10. Assuming that CPAP.com prices are very close to cost. I get Airfit P10 cost $100.00. F10 cost $150.00 (minus CPAP.com margin which I assume to be pretty low). My DME price : F10 = CDN$320.00 = $240 USD. P10 = CDN $230 =$172.50 USD . Profit: $90.00 F10 $72.50 P10. Pretty sure that my DME would be making a much bigger margin off of the full face mask.

But then again, if Wulfman said it, it can' t be wrong.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:54 pm

WindCpap wrote:
Wulfman... wrote:

Den
Because the hearsay on an internet forum is enough to figure out what motivates medical suppliers, and classify them all as inhuman, money hungry, and incompetent?

I am not sure how capitalizing the word "IS" makes your sentence any more true. To test out your statement, I did some price comparisons to see if this was true. I compared the airfit P10, and airfit F10. Assuming that CPAP.com prices are very close to cost. I get Airfit P10 cost $100.00. F10 cost $150.00 (minus CPAP.com margin which I assume to be pretty low). My DME price : F10 = CDN$320.00 = $240 USD. P10 = CDN $230 =$172.50 USD . Profit: $90.00 F10 $72.50 P10. Pretty sure that my DME would be making a much bigger margin off of the full face mask.

If the person in a mouth breather, and the DME sells a nasal mask, and then another nasal mask, and then a chin strap, and eventually a full face mask; they make a lot more profit than just selling a full face mask in the first place.

A lot of DMEs do not make much effort to sell a well fitted mask that is ideal for the customer. They know they can sell another one soon, and that is more profit.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:58 pm

WindCpap wrote:
Wulfman... wrote:

Den

You seem to be Ass-uming a lot, must be a norm for you. Pricing of a product has little to do with profit, it's the cost to produce and sell (Profit Margin) that counts. On second thought, I'm not going to waste my time trying to teach you Economics 101, again, you would just sleep thru the class again probably.

Feel free thinking you know how the world works, you might even qualify for a job teaching a College class. Jim