cold hands

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
tiredandscared

Re: cold hands

Post by tiredandscared » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:04 am

BlackSpinner wrote:
tiredandscared wrote:I'll need to get this treated properly first. The times I do get sleep apnea sleep. I seem to wake up with much colder hands than normal. I might be hypothyroid. But I'll have to get this treated first. I'm getting a dental device within a week and another CPAP machine. I'm holding down the fort at the moment. Whats most screwed up is that I seem to get worse cognitive symptoms each month. Even though I've never had lots of oxygen desaturation or a super high AHI.
Lack of sleep makes me feel cold in general. I feel a lot warmer sleeping now with cpap machine then before without it. I haven't used more then one or two blankets since. The duvet has stayed in the closet or used as a pillow since I got my machine - except when it gets really cold in the winter (-30 c outside - we keep the night temp set to 15C but the furnace can't always keep up)
I read a study about how the body's thermoregulation is affected by sleep deprivation. Except the days I don't sleep. My hands stay warm. So with OSA patients it's probably another mechanism, like sleep fragmentation or intermittent hypoxia. Or a major comorbid condition like hypothyrodism. More worried about my brain being beaten to pulp by OSA. But I'm interested to see if there is any correlation between cold hands and sleep apnea, and whether it increases with severity.
Last edited by tiredandscared on Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BlackSpinner

Re: cold hands

Post by BlackSpinner » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:17 am

tiredandscared wrote: So with OSA patients it's probably another mechanism, like sleep fragmentation or intermittent hypoxia. Or a major comorbid condition like hypothyrodism More worried about my brain being beaten to pulp by OSA. But I'm interested to see there is any correlation between cold hands and sleep apnea, and whether it increases with severity.
No it is the same thing. OSA creates sleep deprivation. Sleep deprivation = inadequate sleep - it makes no difference if it is caused by OSA or staying up all night for the fun of it.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal