Opinions please on my oximeter readings good, bad, ok ?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Mike1234

Opinions please on my oximeter readings good, bad, ok ?

Post by Mike1234 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:23 am

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum, I have been feeling tired for a long time so I bought a oximeter to check my results I have posted them below for 3 nights what do you think ?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/138077675 ... res/Fb92i2
https://www.flickr.com/photos/138077675 ... res/fS783f
https://www.flickr.com/photos/138077675 ... res/hgx2Ju

Thanks Mike
Last edited by Mike1234 on Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChicagoGranny

Re: Opinions please on my oximeter readings good, bad, ok ?

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:34 am

Are you using CPAP? Are you using Sleepyhead to check your nightly breathing and mask leak?

Unless you have lung or heart problems, Sleepyhead is much more important for a CPAP user than an oximetry study.

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:05 am

I haven't been diagnosed just wondered what people thought This is my o2 just sleeping no mask

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:55 am

The link doesn't show up for me, just question marks....

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:00 am

Mike1234 wrote: I have been feeling tired for a long time
What led you to do an oximetry study? Do you have other symptoms? How old are you? What is your BMI? Do you have any other health problems? What is your diet like? Are you active? Have you had a medical physical recently? What drugs are you taking? How much alcohol do you consume?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:13 am

Your images are hard to evaluate due to sizing issues but you don't appear to be spending much time below 90%. Those sudden spikes downward are mostly likely loss of contact artifacts and not alarming.

It's normal to have a little drop in O2 levels when we go to sleep and I think you can see that easily enough with the slight drop initially.

So your pulse oximetry reports aren't alarming but that doesn't mean that there's no sleep apnea or no sleep disordered breathing. All it means is that the oxygen levels aren't alarming. We can still have sleep breathing problems or arousals that can cause problems without there being any alarming drop in oxygen levels.
One of those situations where a negative pulse ox report doesn't mean no problems...just means the oxygen levels aren't alarming...and further evaluation in other areas possibly needs to be done.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:20 am

I don't think that its lose of contact as that's on three different nights and its about 90 -120min after sleep so its as I enter REM. PS I have high bloodpressure and the wife say I snore and stop breathing

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:26 am

Guest wrote:I have high bloodpressure and the wife say I snore and stop breathing
Time to quit fooling around with a home oximetry study and instead, get a consultation with a sleep doctor.

Strokes and heart attacks can be very unpleasant.

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:28 am

yep I am waiting on the docs appointment so we will see what the outcome is

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:48 am

When we have a drop in oxygen levels the drop is gradual and the increase is also gradual.
There are no sudden drops or sudden increase like you are seeing. It just doesn't work that way.
You can use the software and zoom in close on those sudden decreases and I am betting those are loss of contacts which you might see with a gray line.
With loss of contact it takes a few minutes for O2 levels and pulse reported to stabilize and for the machine to be accurate.

Hold your breath for 30 seconds while wearing the pulse oximeter...see if it changes...it won't unless you have some sort of lung/respiratory issue.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:59 am

Guest wrote:yep I am waiting on the docs appointment so we will see what the outcome is
If it were me, the only outcome that would be successful would be an appointment for an overnight sleep study - lab or home.

Good luck.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:01 am

Pugsy wrote:When we have a drop in oxygen levels the drop is gradual and the increase is also gradual.
There are no sudden drops or sudden increase like you are seeing. It just doesn't work that way.
You can use the software and zoom in close on those sudden decreases and I am betting those are loss of contacts which you might see with a gray line.
With loss of contact it takes a few minutes for O2 levels and pulse reported to stabilize and for the machine to be accurate.

Hold your breath for 30 seconds while wearing the pulse oximeter...see if it changes...it won't unless you have some sort of lung/respiratory issue.
That's very informative, Pugsy. I never played around with our recording pulse-oximeter because I got my breathing events under control quickly with CPAP, and I have no lung or heart issues.

Mike1234

Post by Mike1234 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:19 am

Pugsy wrote:When we have a drop in oxygen levels the drop is gradual and the increase is also gradual.

Here is the trace zoomed in I can't see a break :

https://flic.kr/p/ABMQph

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:29 am

I said "might" see a gray line.
You ask for opinions...I gave you mine. Wait and see what others may say.

Mike1234

Post by Mike1234 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:45 am

Hi pugsy, Yep absolutely I'm open to all comments just wondered if you thought it was correct zoomed in.