cleaning heated air hose

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ohligerj

cleaning heated air hose

Post by ohligerj » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:38 pm

I've got a new C-PAP machine with the heated air hose. I used to clean my unheated air hose by rinsing it out then soaking it in vinegar water and hanging it to air dry. Can I use the same method for this heated air hose? I was worried about damaging it by submersing in water.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: cleaning heated air hose

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:53 pm

No soaking, please.
A quick rinse would be sufficient.
The electrical contacts could be damaged.
Less is more. Most of the microbes in your bedroom are harmless.
Unless your parties are AWESOME.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:46 pm

ohligerj wrote:I've got a new C-PAP machine with the heated air hose. I used to clean my unheated air hose by rinsing it out then soaking it in vinegar water and hanging it to air dry. Can I use the same method for this heated air hose? I was worried about damaging it by submersing in water.
Why on earth would you feel the need to "clean" a heated hose? (or ANY hose for that matter)
The heat alone would probably kill any potential germs in it........if there actually were any.
So......what is there to clean from it?

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:20 pm

Wulfman... wrote:
ohligerj wrote: The heat alone would probably kill any potential germs in it........if there actually were any.

Den

I've got my new eye glasses but i still struggle to see germs. And there is no real heat in a "heated hose" is there? Enough to kill germs? lol.
I suggest the OP washes said hose as per manufactures instructions.

~UB

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:40 pm

FWIW... I swish a few ounces of diluted Control III solution thru the hose once a month and let it sit awhile. Read the directions on the bottle. Rinse till it smells acceptable. You could probably do just as well with a little dish soap and water, but Control III is like super soap and it does kill the bad guys quite effectively (it's used in hospital a lot). I do take care not to get the solution in the electrical connections - I put a little tape over that area - also, the hose does not need to get dunked. I'm pretty middle of the road on the spectrum of cleaning.

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/Contro ... eaner.html

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:04 pm

My brother adds a capful of good adult beverage to his tank--
or at least he SAYS he does. That ought to kill anything nasty!
He says he sleeps like a baby.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:27 pm

Uncle_Bob wrote:
Wulfman... wrote:
ohligerj wrote: The heat alone would probably kill any potential germs in it........if there actually were any.

Den

I've got my new eye glasses but i still struggle to see germs. And there is no real heat in a "heated hose" is there? Enough to kill germs? lol.
I suggest the OP washes said hose as per manufactures instructions.

~UB
And, you misquoted me and/or the OP. You were quoting ME, but made it appear that the OP said it.

Ain't no germs gonna get into the hose anyway.......whether or not a person used distilled water (distilled being what the manufacturers recommend).

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

library lady

Post by library lady » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:42 pm

I usually wash mine in a dish tub with a little Dawn or baby shampoo; let it sit for a few minutes, then rinse it under the shower (not on full flow) and let the water drain out. I've never had trouble with the electrical component getting wet... oh, of course it does get wet, but it's thoroughly dry by the time I need to use it as I wait until bedtime to plug it in. I wash it maybe once a month now, used to do it weekly.

Now using AirFit F10 mask; Quattro Air is backup mask. RemZzzz mask liners with both.

Funkdoobiest

Post by Funkdoobiest » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:50 pm

I think its a myth that nothing goes back up the tube. Where is your hot air going to go? It eventually goes out the exhaust on the mask but not all right away, it's too restricted. It's not like there is a one way valve somewhere (other than the anti asphyxiation valve which kicks when the machine is off and allows fresh air in as opposed to hot air out). Got a cold and sneeze while wearing you're cpap guess what? It goes back up the tube. I don't know how far back up the tube the air goes even under a sneeze, but would like to know if anyone knows of any test. I think its a good idea to wash the tubing. Better safe than sorry.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:29 pm

Funkdoobiest wrote:I think its a myth that nothing goes back up the tube. Where is your hot air going to go? It eventually goes out the exhaust on the mask but not all right away, it's too restricted. It's not like there is a one way valve somewhere (other than the anti asphyxiation valve which kicks when the machine is off and allows fresh air in as opposed to hot air out). Got a cold and sneeze while wearing you're cpap guess what? It goes back up the tube. I don't know how far back up the tube the air goes even under a sneeze, but would like to know if anyone knows of any test. I think its a good idea to wash the tubing. Better safe than sorry.
Can you infect or reinfect yourself with your own germs? Not likely.
Coughing or sneezing is going to end up being a very minimal amount of air. In all probability, it wouldn't get any further than the mask.
There's a column of air coming at you through the hose. And, depending on what your pressure is, it's highly unlikely that you could push that air from the mask very far at all.......probably only a couple of inches at most.......and it's going to be coming back at you. And, in all probability, when you cough or sneeze, it's going to blow the mask off of your face and not blow the air back up the tube.

Sorry? For what? You're exposed to more germs (from other people) during the normal daily routines than during the night when you're breathing clean, filtered air.

"What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger."

Here's a link to some images to give a perspective of the sizes of things.

http://www.fphcare.com/sleep-apnea/educ ... port/faqs/

Can germs pass from the humidifier to me?
No, using a heated humidifier in line with your CPAP device will not cause you to become sick or give you germs. Fisher & Paykel Healthcare’s heated humidifiers are pass-over humidifiers that do not produce aerosols (the fine water droplets that are visible to the eye such as steam from a kettle). Pass-over humidifiers add moisture in the form of water vapor. Water vapor particles are smaller than bacteria or viruses so it is impossible for them to be transported up to the mask (and then to you). Even if pathogens (germs) were able to exist in the chamber, they would not be able to be transported to you. Refer to the diagram below which demonstrates the size of water vapor, bacteria and virus particles.

The important thing to remember is that all equipment (especially your mask) needs to be cleaned thoroughly on a regular basis, so that it does not become a desirable environment for bacteria to live and grow. Follow the cleaning instructions for all equipment to ensure proper hygiene and cleaning.

Den

User since 05/14/05

Viperchic

Post by Viperchic » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:34 pm

My DME said it was perfectly fine to wash my heated house in warm water with a little dish soap, that it wouldn't hurt the electrodes. As long as I let it dry completely before reconnecting it to the cpap.

englandsf

Post by englandsf » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:35 pm

Just push the hose on a hot faucet for a minute, add a squirt of green dishwashing liquid and run more water until it's clear. Hang to dry for at lest 8-10 hrs. Heated hose get nowhere near hot enough to kill germs, just to help them grow (especially if you're using humidity). I do it mostly to improve the smell but it helps to know it's clean. I do it once a month on the first Sunday morning.

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:47 pm

Wulfman... wrote: You were quoting ME
Well done, you got the general gist of things

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:51 pm

Funkdoobiest wrote: Got a cold and sneeze while wearing you're cpap guess what? It goes back up the tube.
Good grief, I wondered where it went

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:16 pm

The bottom line with any of the "cleaning" subjects is to use some reasonable logic and do what you feel comfortable with.

With long-term use, many users have gone from one extreme to the other.......and have survived quite well.

AND..........
Read every single post in the collection "rested gal" has compiled in this link:

viewtopic.php?p=567264#p567264

Den

User since 05/14/05