Don't kill me. Weight loss has improved apnea.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Janknitz

Re: Don't kill me. Weight loss has improved apnea.

Post by Janknitz » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:41 pm

That's awesome! No anger at all. I only hate the yahoos (mostly male!) who announce they are going to skip a few lunches to lose weight and get off CPAP forever. They are so full of themselves, and so ready to blame everyone's OSA on obesity.

I lost 75 lbs. I think it has definitely decreased my snoring, but I still need plenty of pressure to keep a good AHI. And I do sleep better. I would never want those 75 lbs back. But I know the weight loss is not going to cure my small and receded lower jaw and narrow airway. I'm a lifer for CPAP, and OK with that.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

tiredandscared

Post by tiredandscared » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:50 pm

I should have done it months ago. But I was so tired and caught up in anxious thoughts. Maybe at least I could have lessened the impact of the disease. Sleep apnea has a way of disorganizing your thoughts and making you anxious , incoherent and incapable of functioning . Either way. As soon as I get my replacement cpap ill begin using it this oncoming week. Then I'll embark on a Weight loss program.

Greg Riddle

Post by Greg Riddle » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:21 pm

Can't see anyone getting pissed about you getting better results with weight loss. My wife should be pissed she lost 115 lbs and no improvement. She was 286. Had gastric bypass and started using her cpap again because she was tired. Hasn't seen any improvement in apnea

WindCpap

Post by WindCpap » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:33 pm

Just make sure you have another actual sleep study before giving up the CPAP. Remember Sleep Apnea causes weight gain causes more sleep apnea causes more weight gain...... I have struggled with being overweight for a very long time. Congratulations on your current success, and please be encouraged to continue with your efforts.

tiredandscared

Post by tiredandscared » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:37 pm

I'm not going to drop cpap therapy. I'm still going to use it until I can be sure that I don't need to use it. I'm still not apnea free. But I think it has become a better. I generally got sleep apnea after I pushed past 230 pounds. I need to lose another 10-15 pounds before I can tell.

WindCpap

Post by WindCpap » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:55 am

My sleep doctor insists that if I lose enough weight, I can stop using the machine. I have severe sleep apnea, and I am very doubtful that this is true. It is not that I don't want to lose weight, and it is not that I don't believe some people can stop using the machine by losing weight. I just think that it is a very dangerous thing to dangle the "get of the machine" carrot in front of somebody when you know that they may not ever be able to stop using CPAP. I can imagine somebody losing weight, still needing CPAP, and gaining it back because they are so discouraged. Even worse, I can imagine somebody losing weight, thinking they don't need the machine because the doctor told them so, and then being unable to maintain weight because their efforts are frustrated by continued sleep apnea.

I have resigned myself to lifetime CPAP, and I am very hopeful that my next weight loss attempt will be successful, thanks, in part, to being on CPAP.

tiredandscared

Post by tiredandscared » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:54 am

WindCpap wrote:My sleep doctor insists that if I lose enough weight, I can stop using the machine. I have severe sleep apnea, and I am very doubtful that this is true. It is not that I don't want to lose weight, and it is not that I don't believe some people can stop using the machine by losing weight. I just think that it is a very dangerous thing to dangle the "get of the machine" carrot in front of somebody when you know that they may not ever be able to stop using CPAP. I can imagine somebody losing weight, still needing CPAP, and gaining it back because they are so discouraged. Even worse, I can imagine somebody losing weight, thinking they don't need the machine because the doctor told them so, and then being unable to maintain weight because their efforts are frustrated by continued sleep apnea.

I have resigned myself to lifetime CPAP, and I am very hopeful that my next weight loss attempt will be successful, thanks, in part, to being on CPAP.
it doesn't hurt to try. You've got nothing to lose imo. If you continue treatment it's not like you'll go untreated.