First Night on cpap - questions

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
bpathakis

First Night on cpap - questions

Post by bpathakis » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:59 am

Hi all,

I've just completed my first night on cpap therapy. I'm using a resmed airsense s10 autoset with the humidifier and climateline heated tubing. My doctor has the range set from 5-15. Also using a air f10 mask.

For the first little bit, I had some problems adjusting. I had leaks in the mask, but those were fairly easy to fix. At the normal setting, with no ramp, I felt like it was making me breathe un-naturally, almost like I was going to hyperventilate. I set it on ramp with a ramp time of 30 mintues, and that seemed to help.

I was finally able to get to sleep, and on the plus side, I feel much more alert and better than I have in a long time. I'm hoping the other issues are just a matter of getting used to the therapy? Any input or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.

LSAT

Re: First Night on cpap - questions

Post by LSAT » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:05 am

Your machine has an EPR (Exhale pressure relief). If you are uncomfortable exhaling you can adjust this setting which reduces the pressure for exhaling. Be sure to download the free Sleepyhead software so you can monitor your nightly data.

yippeekia

Post by yippeekia » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:10 am

Congratulations on a good start! I would recommend you optimize your therapy. I would start by downloading Sleepyhead software and looking at your data. It will allow you to make sure your therapy is optimized. If you have questions or concerns you can post your data and get help here.

Good luck and welcome to the hosehead family!

bpathakis

Post by bpathakis » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:37 am

Thanks for the feedback.

I've tried disabling Pressure Relief. I don't see anything other enable / disable for that in the user guide that came with it.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:42 pm

Looks like you could use the clinical manual. here is the link. https://sleep.tnet.com/home/files/resme ... -guide.pdf
EPR is Exhalation pressure relief and ranges from 1 cm H2O to 3 cm H2O. So if you have it set to 3 your exhale pressure is 3cm H20 less than your inhale pressure, as long as your pressure is 7 or above because the machine doesn't go below 4.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:54 pm

bpathakis wrote: I felt like it was making me breathe un-naturally, almost like I was going to hyperventilate.
You should read the posts in this thread concerning focusing on your breathing versus letting your autonomous system take over to breathe naturally.

Note that if you turn on EPR when you haven't been using it, your AHI may increase.
First read: viewtopic/t172378/Sticky--Newbies-PLEAS ... STING.html

Then get a free account: https://home.sleephq.com/

Post links in this thread for members to see and make recommendations.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:09 pm

bpathakis wrote: I've tried disabling Pressure Relief. I don't see anything other enable / disable for that in the user guide that came with it.
Looks like it was already on but they didn't know how much. It could possibly increase AHI but that is also a good reason for monitoring yourself with Sleepyhead.
https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead
When I first started I also had the feeling I had to breathe with the machine, but then I realized actually I was in control of the machine and my breathing became natural.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

bpathakis

Post by bpathakis » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:18 pm

Thanks to everybody who replied.
You should read the posts in this thread concerning focusing on your breathing versus letting your autonomous system take over to breathe naturally.
I'll give this a try Hopefully it's something that becomes easier over time.

Heart Jumping

Post by Heart Jumping » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:40 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:You should read the posts in this thread concerning focusing on your breathing versus letting your autonomous system take over to breathe naturally.
Was there supposed to be a link ("read the posts in this thread") in that post?

Thanks

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:46 pm

Heart Jumping wrote:Was there supposed to be a link ("read the posts in this thread") in that post?
That might help. But, you should know. It's your thread.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:46 pm

bpathakis wrote:
I'll give this a try Hopefully it's something that becomes easier over time.
Here's the link - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=108978&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

bpathakis

Post by bpathakis » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:10 am

Thanks for the advice everyone. I tried ChicagoGranny's advice last night...I didn't focus on my breathing, and made my mind focus elsewhere, like imagining I was camping. Anyway, that worked great! At least now I can breathe normally, and really didn't have to think or worry about it much last night. Now if I can just get some sleep my gear on...