Humidifier RESMED AIRSENSE 10 For Her question

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
lindalam89

Re: Humidifier RESMED AIRSENSE 10 For Her question

Post by lindalam89 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:47 pm

Thanks I bought the heated hose. I hope that gives me more manual options.

Tried pumping up the humidity level and woke up to a full tank! I don't understand. There is condensation and heat coming from the humidifier but it seems like the water stays trapped in the water tank.
ResMed AirSense 11
AutoSet For HerModel
PAP Mode: Auto for Her
Min 7.2 Max 12.6 (cmH2O)
humidifier: 8
Amara view face mask
99% mask fit

MarylandCPAPer

Post by MarylandCPAPer » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:51 pm

lindalam89 wrote:
Does that mean if I use my old philips hose, I wont get any humidity effect at all? Or I will get some but probably not the same if I had the climateline?
You should get humidification using the old Phillips hose. The A10 has a choice for Slimline or standard hose (as well as the setup for a heated hose). When you use the old Phillips hose, which is probably a standard hose size, be sure the setting on the A10 corresponds with "standard," not Slimline.

I too transferred a Phillips standard hose to the A10 and used it until a few weeks ago when the A10 machine spontaneously flipped over and pumped water down my nose when I was asleep. Since the handiest hose to put on the machine and go back to sleep was a Slimline hose, I switched to it and changed the A10 setting accordingly. One benefit I saw immediately was that the A10 was quieter. Previously, I had heard every inhale and exhale until I got to sleep.

Now, I am having the opposite problem from you. My humidifier tank is getting to empty no more than halfway through the night.

Are you having a better experience using the heated hose?

Started CPAP 12/18/09 Pressure 13. Changed to APAP 1/18/10, Pressure 10-16. 4/2014:Switched to AirFit P10 mask. PR System One REMstar Auto Series 550 with A-Flex for 5.5 years. 7/2015 to present: AirSense 10 AutoSet FOR HER. Range: 10-20

lindalam89

Post by lindalam89 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:41 am

Just received my heated hose yesterday. It does have better humidification. But It is nothing like my philips humidifier which I liked better. It seems like with this humidifier, I either get lots of wet droplets or I get no activity the humidifier chamber. It bothers me when I wake up and the tank is still full.
ResMed AirSense 11
AutoSet For HerModel
Min 7.2 Max 12.6 (cmH2O)
Amara view face mask
99% mask fit

MarylandCPAPer

Post by MarylandCPAPer » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:40 pm

I would contact your DME It sounds as if your A10 humidifier is not working at all. I am having the opposite problem with my A10. The humidifier tank water is running out in no more than 6 hours, with the humidity set at 5 or 6, and I now have severe bronchitis (after starting out with flu symptoms), which I attribute to breathing the byproducts of the water tank running empty while I was asleep.I plan to contact my DME as soon as I am able to breathe and talk again and ask to have my A10 checked.

I tried the Climateline hose with my A10 and found 2 problems: 1) I could not get to sleep with it at all and was wide awake after 2 hours, when I went to bed tired. 2) After 2 hours, it use half of my humidifier tank of water, which is even faster than it is using it with a Slimline hose. I definitely got humidification using the Standard size hose that I used to use with the PR S1.

As to your PR S1. If you stil have it and your is in the series that has a problem with a missing screw, you may be able to revive it. I'm going to try to revive my PR System One as soon as I am well enough to get to a hardware store for the proper sized screw and wrench. There are numerous threads where about the problem with the PR S1 550P series missing screw.

For me, the only solutions I see are trying to fix my PR S1 to use in the winter and/or 2) using a room humidifier to add humidity to the room air near the CPAP machine so that it uses less water in the humidifier tank.

Started CPAP 12/18/09 Pressure 13. Changed to APAP 1/18/10, Pressure 10-16. 4/2014:Switched to AirFit P10 mask. PR System One REMstar Auto Series 550 with A-Flex for 5.5 years. 7/2015 to present: AirSense 10 AutoSet FOR HER. Range: 10-20

MarylandCPAPer

Post by MarylandCPAPer » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:52 pm

One other idea would be to try using the standard Auto mode instead of Auto for Her mode and see if that makes the humidifier work.

I am using the Auto APAP mode on the A10 For Her, and the humidifier is using water way too fast, but at least it it using it.

MarylandCPAPer

Post by MarylandCPAPer » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:03 pm

Since I am having the opposite problem you are (i.e. my humifiier water isn't lasting for more than 6 hours) on Auto APAP, I tried Autoset for Her mode last night to see if it made any difference in my humidifier water consumption. I think it worked about the same. My Sleepyhead numbers were about the same, certainly not worse on the For Her mode. I think leaks were a little less (1% instead of 2%). I may stick with Autoset for Her mode for a while longer.

I hope you get things sorted out with your machine. Either something is set wrong or your machine is not working. How is the humidity level in your house and in the area where you live? I am in Maryland, where the forced hot air heat has been on full time for a few weeks and my house air is very dry, even with a furnace humidifier.

If the humidity level in your house is fairly high, the humidifier tank would not use much water. Mine still used water over the summer but at an acceptable pace, not a whole tank every 6 hours. I have central air with the summer humidity set at 25% on the central air unit, so it removes humidity from the air in the summer. I have the furnace humidifier set to 100% now.

lindalam89

Post by lindalam89 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:32 pm

I live in san Francisco, we are notorious for high humidity. I think the machine is detecting high humidity thus it isnt pumping out enough water. The heated hose helps pump out water but I still have a half full tank after 7 hours. I'm on the for her mode.

I bought my machine off cpap.com and not through my DME. Not sure if my DME would even say it's broken. It still heats up but water appears stuck within the humidifier chamber. Maybe it is because I place the machine below my bed?
ResMed AirSense 11
AutoSet For HerModel
Min 7.2 Max 12.6 (cmH2O)
Amara view face mask
99% mask fit

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:43 pm

lindalam89 wrote:I live in san Francisco, we are notorious for high humidity. I think the machine is detecting high humidity thus it isnt pumping out enough water.
The machine has a humidity sensor and it detects the ambient room humidity and then it does the work needed to add humidity to the air per your humidity selection choice or whatever the default is.
So water usage is going to vary depending on how dry your air is or isn't and the humidity choice you have made.

Example...if your ambient humidity is 70% and you have selected 80% then the machine only has to add a little more moisture to get that 70% up to 80%.
Now if your ambient air humidity was 20% then obviously it would need to use more water to get the delivered humidity up to that 80% mark.
It doesn't add X amount of humidity on top of what you already have.
When it rains where I live and I have the windows open I don't use any water at all but when the air is drier or like now with the furnace being on I am using a lot more water. Using my house furnace doubles (maybe more) my water usage without changing the humidity setting at all.

You live in a high humidity area and the fact that you don't use much water doesn't surprise me at all.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Sonnyboy

Post by Sonnyboy » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:03 pm

lindalam89 wrote:I live in san Francisco, we are notorious for high humidity. I think the machine is detecting high humidity thus it isnt pumping out enough water. The heated hose helps pump out water but I still have a half full tank after 7 hours. I'm on the for her mode.

I bought my machine off cpap.com and not through my DME. Not sure if my DME would even say it's broken. It still heats up but water appears stuck within the humidifier chamber. Maybe it is because I place the machine below my bed?
Hi

My AirSense 10 Autoset For Her is on the floor and I am not having a problem.

My Los Gatos climate and CPAP settings are quite different from yours in terms of temperature and humidity.
I do not use a room humidifier, the climate Is drier, and I do not use the heater at night. My Cpap temperature is set at 72 and the humidifier at 2.

Last night I slept 10 hours and the water tank level shows I have used slightly more than 1/2.

You've gone from a full tank to 1/2 tank. Are you noticing a difference in how you feel now that the humidifier seems to have had some improvement? This is what is important.

How much water do you feel needs to be pumped out?

I don't know if there is an answer to this question?

Just read Pugsy's response and this makes sense to me.

Your machine has a warranty. Sounds like it needs to be checked out if you continue to be concerned?

lindalam89

Post by lindalam89 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:24 am

Pugsy's explanation makes a lot of sense and it is what I expected. I just thought manual would be like turning off system one. We do have lots of humidity and I'm sure it is detecting that. Last. Night I got about 1/3 tank down. It's an improvement with the heated hose. I sleep in the basement so it gets really cold.

I like more moisture because I get sore throats easily. But a problem I noticed is that if I pump up the humidity up to 7 or 8 I get the stuffy nose sound and that keeps me up. Currently my settings are 82 degrees on 6.

Thanks for your help guys!
ResMed AirSense 11
AutoSet For HerModel
Min 7.2 Max 12.6 (cmH2O)
Amara view face mask
99% mask fit

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:30 pm

lindalam89 wrote: I just thought manual would be like turning off system one. We do have lots of humidity and I'm sure it is detecting that.
I don't know if we can do with the ResMed machines that we did with the PR S1 machines when we could switch over to Classic Mode on those System One machines and take the machine humidity sensors out of the equation.
ResMed in their infinite wisdom doesn't really tell us if the machine's humidity sensors can be bypassed or not but from what I see...they can't be turned off to simulate what was Classic Mode on the System One machines.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

lindalam89

Post by lindalam89 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:16 pm

Pugsy wrote:
lindalam89 wrote: I just thought manual would be like turning off system one. We do have lots of humidity and I'm sure it is detecting that.
I don't know if we can do with the ResMed machines that we did with the PR S1 machines when we could switch over to Classic Mode on those System One machines and take the machine humidity sensors out of the equation.
ResMed in their infinite wisdom doesn't really tell us if the machine's humidity sensors can be bypassed or not but from what I see...they can't be turned off to simulate what was Classic Mode on the System One machines.
That makes a lot of sense. A lot of "gadgets" at some point cease all "backwards compatibility" in which in this Resmed's machine case, probably means keeping with newer auto functions to make it less confusing for the customer. Personally I like tinkering with stuff so I think it is bad decision to take out a manual mode that really is manual. But i understand that some customers might create a setting set for disaster. I knew someone who said they stopped their cpap because they were drowning in water from their humidifier.
ResMed AirSense 11
AutoSet For HerModel
Min 7.2 Max 12.6 (cmH2O)
Amara view face mask
99% mask fit