best type of mask for side sleeper

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
bpathakis

best type of mask for side sleeper

Post by bpathakis » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:25 am

Hi,

Just a quick question. I was recently diagnosed with osa, and am getting my new machine tomorrow (resmed Airsense 10 autoset) and mask, and wanted to know if you had any suggestions for the best type of mask for a side sleeper?

Thanks.

Pugsy

Re: best type of mask for side sleeper

Post by Pugsy » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:36 am

You can use any type of mask in any sleeping position.
Now some masks present more challenges when side sleeping or sleeping on the stomach but even with a full face mask (which has a larger footprint) it can be done.

Your bed pillow is going to play an important factor when side sleeping or sleeping on one's stomach.

If you can normally breathe through your nose just fine...try a nasal pillow mask or a nasal cushion (covers the nose) mask because they have less of a footprint on the face and side sleeping has less challenges with the smaller footprint masks.

You might look at the ResMed AirFit P10 nasal pillow mask that I use..link in my profile
or look at the latest mask from Respironics called the DreamWear which uses a cradle cushion under the nostrils....or look at the ResMed Swift FX Nano cushion mask.
All are excellent masks with more positive reviews than negative.
No mask is going to be perfect for all people because we all have different preferences and needs.

The mask journey is something you just have to try yourself. What works well for one of us may not work so great for you.

I don't really have full face mask experience to offer much help in that area....but if you have chronic nasal congestion issues forcing you to mouth breathe then you are likely going to need a full face mask if you can't clear up the nose issues.
Side sleeping can be more of a challenge with the full face masks but it can be done.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:38 am

I wondered the same thing. A lot of people told me to do a Full Face Mask. I found the comfort of the Wisp to be my favorite. I toss and turn A LOT in my sleep. Always have. I don't have leak problems and I'm not making it so tight that I have marks on my face either. So I guess my suggestion would be to find something that is COMFORTABLE and go from there. Technologies have really made our options much better.

Good Luck!

RebornSleeper

Post by RebornSleeper » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:39 am

Sorry, I guess I wasn't logged in. UGH!

hvyhtr

Post by hvyhtr » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:18 am

I am a side sleeper and mouth breather using 13-16 cm of pressure. I use an F&P Flexifit 432 full face mask with good results for about three years. (Went from 2 hrs to 4.25 hours per night sleep.

Last year I switched to the F&P Eson mask with a small chin strap. UNBELIEVABLE CHANGE! Went from 4.25 to 6.5 hours sleep per night. Highly recommend!!!!

metsfan302

Post by metsfan302 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:52 am

I can use any side sleeping.

I use to only use full faces, but after trying the wisp I went to that.

Now I love nasal pillow masks. I have a lot of nice full face masks in my bin sealed up lol. Never thought I'd like a pillow style, man they are Great!!

Additional Comments: Prior - ResMed AirCurve ASV User
This is my Orig Post "The start of my venture to find proper therapy" - http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic.php?f ... &sk=t&sd=a

Physician

Post by Physician » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:00 pm

bpathakis wrote:Hi,

Just a quick question. I was recently diagnosed with osa, and am getting my new machine tomorrow (resmed Airsense 10 autoset) and mask, and wanted to know if you had any suggestions for the best type of mask for a side sleeper?

Thanks.

I'm a side sleeper and really enjoy the Mirage FX. It doesn't develop leaks easily, and it is comfortable. Pressure is distributed evenly. Straps don't pull up on cheeks. Second choice might be the Dreamwear.

bpathakis

Post by bpathakis » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:47 pm

Thanks for all the replies.

I'll keep these in mind when I pick up my machine tomorrow.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:00 pm

As Pugsy indicated, the bed pillow is more important than the mask itself.
If the person's head sinks too far into it, it's going to push the mask (any mask) out of alignment.

I'm a dedicated side-sleeper and I've used a full face mask ( UMFF ) since I started therapy and a Chiroflow water-based pillow long before that. For me, they work well together.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

bpathakis

Post by bpathakis » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:41 pm

As Pugsy indicated, the bed pillow is more important than the mask itself.
Good point, I'll keep that in mind. I have a couple of different ones I can experiment with.

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:17 pm

I vote for this pillow... punch in a 'hollow' with your fist and it stays there all night or until you redistribute the buckwheat hulls:
http://www.pur-sleep.com/shop/cpap-bed-pillow.html

Member Sleepguy may be still giving away free test pillows. Go to 'members' above and search for him. Send him a PM.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

Physician

Post by Physician » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:37 am

Wulfman... wrote:As Pugsy indicated, the bed pillow is more important than the mask itself.
If the person's head sinks too far into it, it's going to push the mask (any mask) out of alignment.

I'm a dedicated side-sleeper and I've used a full face mask ( UMFF ) since I started therapy and a Chiroflow water-based pillow long before that. For me, they work well together.

Den

Brookstone and other stores sell pillows with Tempurpedic. Excellent pillow, but $150. Worth it.

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:24 am

I have both a Tempurpedic neck pillow and the one that Sir NoddinOff above mentions. Both work well for me. Also used the cpap.com "Papillow" for about 3 years, another good one for an active side-sleepers.
Last edited by RogerSC on Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ladyflower

Post by Ladyflower » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:36 pm

I am a back and side sleeper and roll frequently throughout the night. The best mask I found for side sleeping was the Airfit P10 nasal pillow mask. I used it for over a year. I've been using the Dreamwear nasal mask for a couple weeks now and I definitely have problems sleeping on my side because the mask shifts and I get leaks. Even checked in Sleepyhead to make sure I wasnt just imagining it. I definitely get more leaks with the Dreamwear. I have found myself trying to sleep more on my back to avoid the leaks.I think the nasal pillows stay more secure because the nostrils hold them in place. But the nasal cradle on the Dreamwear just rests below the nose so it can shift easier when you move.
Machine: Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt ASV
Mask: AirFit p10 Nasal pillow mask, DreamWear Nasal Mask

SleepyCPAP

Post by SleepyCPAP » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:14 pm

Hi bpathakis,

I hope you don't mind my late response. I tried a few masks, and the one which I'm most confident using when side sleeping is the TAP PAP. I like it because it does not have straps, so snuggling my cheeks into the pillow does not disrupt the good seal (and no strap marks in the morning).

If you want to try it CPAP.COM offers it with free return insurance (so if you don't like it after trying it for a bit you just pay to ship it back, and get your purchase price back).

-- SleepyCPAP

-- SleepyCPAP
Sleep study in 2010 (11cm CPAP). Pillows (Swift FX>TAP PAP >Bleep). PRS1 “Pro” 450/460 until recall, now Aircurve 10 VAuto. Tape mouth. Palatal Prolapse solved by AlaxoStent & VAuto EPAP 4cm, PS 3.6cm = 0.0 AHI