Super new...please tell me you get used to this

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
newby315

Super new...please tell me you get used to this

Post by newby315 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:48 pm

Just found this today and would love to hear your experiences. I don't know anyone personally dealing with sleep apnea and could use some stories from people who "get it." I'm 35 and finally admitted to my doctor about a month ago that I snore terribly, I fall alseep at my desk every day at work, and my poor husband worries that I'm not breathing at night. He suggested a sleep test. Fast forward...I was able to go for my consult with the sleep doctor and have my sleep test the same day. I warned the person giving the test that I always had to get up to use the bathroom at night so she would hear from me soon. And so after about 2 hours of sleep I called out into the great wide open of the room and she came it to un-hook me so I could go. She came in saying "Its ok, I was about to wake you up anyway. The bad news is, your apnea is terrible! The good news is, we gonna fix it!" When I spoke to my doctor a few days later, it turned out that my AHI was 112 and my oxygen was at 76%. Ok then! That would explain the tired. Within a week I had a CPAP. I proceeded to have a weekend of the worse sinus pressure I had ever experienced, upper back pain by shoulder blade, and my jeans barely fit from the bloating! Not to be a totaly negative Nancy...I was able to open my eyes for what felt like the first time. Within a week I was able to sit through an entire day's training and actually enjoyed it and didn't have to get up every 15 minutes to get water so I didn't fall asleep. Today marks 2 weeks with the CPAP. You know that feeling you get when you just can't wait to get cozy in your bed...like its the safest and most comfortable place ever?! I don't have that any more. I dread going to my bed. I dread strapping that mask on and having to do deep breathing for the first 5-10 minutes to convince myself I'm not suffocating. I was worried my children would be scared of me...but my 5-year-old son just said I looked like a "rhinoceros!" (lovingly of course!) I would say elephant...but regardless...I dread looking like a "robot rhinoceros" every night. I cannot deny that my energy is so much better. I feel like my mind is clear and I finally feel intelligent again. My word recall has improved...and I'm much more feisty when someone bothers me! lol. I'm still feeling bloated. The lady who brought me the CPAP sent me a chin strap. Doesn't she know how trapped and ugly I already feel?! Oh sure...lets add a chin strap! I didn't tell her that...but I told her I couldn't promise I would use it. So, in addition to just venting to people who know...I would love some success stories. Do you ever stop feeling like you look crazy? Do you get used to sleeping with that attached to your face? I get that my case was pretty bad. I appreciate the health benefits that I'm assured will come. I appreciate the "10 years" I was told would most assuredly be added to my life. I appreciate more years with my 3 spunky kids. But right now...2 weeks in...its hard. I wonder if I'll ever just feel excited to go curl up in my bed and rest. Thanks for listening!!!

Krelvin

Re: Super new...please tell me you get used to this

Post by Krelvin » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:56 pm

A large thread about people's success stories on the forum already..

viewtopic/t14494/Newbie-would-like-to-h ... lease.html
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:52 pm

It's like getting used to a new bra--or none at all, in my case.
You just do it, and keep doing it, until not doing it feels weird.

Cardsfan

Post by Cardsfan » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:10 pm

Hi Newby- if you fill in your profile with your machine and mask info. that helps others help you.

Yep, you get used to it. And you appreciate feeling better. There's no way I'd give my machine up. It just takes some help to work out the kinks.

LollyD

Post by LollyD » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:30 pm

From one new user (2 months) to another - yes, you will get used to it. I now look forward to bedtime like never before, and I don't wake up with those horrible headaches.

Congratulations on taking the plunge and doing something good for you, your family, and your job!

Additional Comments: Transcend EZEX auto with humidifier and battery for travel.

jim22

Post by jim22 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:39 pm

Yup, it may take a while to tune your setup, and there will be a lot of relearning on your part, but it will gradually get better and better over a long time. I'm into it 18 months now, and take it in stride.
Jim

Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset, Swift FX nasal pillows mask

Love2Quilt

Post by Love2Quilt » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:22 pm

I am new to CPAP, also. Just over 4 months. I acclimated to it a lot faster than I expected. I found that I need to lie down and make sure I'm relaxed with my breathing before I put the mask on; otherwise, I do feel like I'm suffocating because I'm breathing too fast. Do I like that I have to wear it? No. But, I am sleeping better and it's so nice not to wake myself up from snoring or having my husband shake me to get me to stop snoring. I don't really care what I look like....it's dark when I'm wearing it!

~KC~

itsjustme

Post by itsjustme » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:23 pm

I can tell you for certain that if you just hang in there you WILL get used to it. I just completed my first 3 months and have gotten to the point where I would never even think about going to sleep without having the machine on. The first couple weeks was pure hell, I would keep the mask on 4 hours a night to keep the insurance company happy then take it off and go to sleep. But I gradually kept it on longer and longer until I could keep it on all night. That is when I noticed that I wasn't waking up with a splitting headache or sore throat anymore. I used to get up several times a night for a drink of water and that has also stopped. There were many, many times that I wanted to give up but I am so glad that I kept at it. For the first time in over 10 years I can get 7-8 hours of sleep a night, and just during the past couple weeks I have started feeling so much better, better than I have felt in a long time. The best attitude to have is to use the machine like your life depends on it (because it does!) The best advice I found on here was to put the mask on while you are watching TV or relaxing in the evening so you can get used to the feel of it.

betam4x

Post by betam4x » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:55 pm

Yes you'll get used to it. You'll also hate going without it. It's all about the attitude. Remember, you'll end up better off in the end.

kteague

Post by kteague » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:16 pm

Without knowing your setup, I'd just like to mention that if when you first mask up you feel like you are suffocating, it could be that a little adjustment could make this more comfortable. Are you using a ramp feature? Are you using a range of pressures and it starts real low? About the sinus pressure, sometimes it takes a little experimenting to find out how much humidity your sinuses like. Some prefer swamp-like, others prefer cool air. If I turn my humidifier up to just 2 I get congested right away. Also, Nasal masks can sometimes press on the side of the nose and block sinuses. I use nasal pillows to avoid that. It really does sound like you are off to a good start, and I'm guessing things will feel much better for you soon.

Ladyskets

Post by Ladyskets » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:22 pm

You WILL get used to it. Give yourself time. It'll become a love/hate relationship. You'll hate the fact that you're tethered to a six foot hose and have to have a mask on your face all night. You'll absolutely love the fact that you wake up feeling refreshed every morning. You'll love that you won't have a sore throat and headache. You'll no longer be a zombie and can face the world like "normal" people do. I gladly strap on my mask every night knowing the benefits I get from it
I went through about six masks before I found one that I really liked. It also took me about four months before sleeping with the mask felt totally normal. Now, six years later, it's just part of my nightly routine. I hardly even think about it.
One thing you mentioned... you feel like you're suffocating. What is your starting pressure? My doctor started my APAP at 4 and that was way too low for me. Once it was adjusted upwards a bit I no longer felt that I wasn't getting enough air. Is it your pressure or the fact that you have a mask on your face? Either way you'll get it figured out and things WILL get better. Hang in there and don't give up. As you've already experienced it, live is SO much better with a PAP.

YappyVpapper

Post by YappyVpapper » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:26 pm

I think everyone gets the "you almost died during your sleep test". I died 2x my lady said. She told me the same thing, I was about to wake you but then you came back to life. lol

It gets easier, I fought my mask for a couple of months, yanked it off all the time, but slowly I got used to it and enjoyed going to bed at night. I miss so badly sleeping on my stomach though. I was a tummy sleeper my whole life. My friends though love sharing a bed on trips now because my "snorgling" is gone and they like the sound of my resmed, like a fan going haha. Old bf hated it because I couldn't cuddle with him, owell...

AuSable River Rat

Post by AuSable River Rat » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:21 am

Good luck. I'm on my fourth month and it's still a constant struggle. I can sleep with the cpap but wake up every morning feeling absolutely exhausted. The sleep doctor can't understand why I feel miserable since my numbers "are good". My primary physician told me to return the equipment to the DME since it's obviously not helping me. I'm not giving up yet, but some people obviously take to it much easier than others. Download the sleepy head software and take charge of your therapy. Trust me, most DMEs and sleep docs don't care how you feel as long as the numbers are good. You will need to be proactive in your therapy.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:18 pm

AuSable River Rat wrote:The sleep doctor can't understand why I feel miserable since my numbers "are good".
What "numbers" is the doctor talking about?

Why aren't you generating the data and reports and doing your own analysis or asking for help in this forum? It's what all the senior members do, and most of the new members here learn to do.

We've seen hundreds of cases where doctors are little to no help in doing this. I have a great sleep doctor, but I would not trust her to analyze my "numbers". I do that important task myself.

https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead
"It's not the number of breaths we take, it's the number of moments that take our breath away."

schrader

Post by schrader » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:00 pm

I have been on CPAP for 3 days and sleep like a baby.
I think with the right machine and mask you will too.
I have an Resmed airsense 10 with heated hose and humidifier
Resmed N-10 nasel mask. Very small and comfortable.
Pressure is 4-20.