Anyone have experience with cruising on Princess Lines?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Darth Lady

Anyone have experience with cruising on Princess Lines?

Post by Darth Lady » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:44 pm

We're cruising on the Regal Princess in January. I looked at all their "needs" materials. They have a box on Special Dietary Requests that you can check to get distilled water. However, if you are using "electric equipment," they have this irrelevant form that your doctor is supposed to fill out (as if!) that says nothing about xPAP. They can't possibly mean that your doctor has to certify that you are fit to cruise if you use xPAP, can they ? They don't have anywhere that I can find to indicate that you are using an xPAP machine, what kind of outlet adapter/extension cord you might need (or whether they will provide - I see on another thread that many lines are confiscating cords). Has anyone cruised with them that could provide some inside info?

Thanks!

TheDuke

Re: Anyone have experience with cruising on Princess Lines?

Post by TheDuke » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:05 pm

I cruised with Princess several years ago, Southern Caribbean seven night run. At that time I did not have a humidifier, so I had no need for distilled water. Our room had normal US 110V. 60 Hz. outlets that I used for my machine just like at home. I have always made a point to carry a plain small extension cord for any travel because outlets are often out of reach with the machine cord. Although the ship may have distilled water, I would suggest just using the cabin tap water for the cruise, and rinse the humidifier out each morning. I have had a humidifier several years now and much prefer it to the "dry air". The tap water is perfectly safe, the distilled water is to avoid mineral deposits in the water chamber.

Incidentally, the ship was most pleasant, and the on-board food was excellent and plentiful. Have a good trip- And be sure you have your passport!!

TheDuke

jannicatt

Post by jannicatt » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:02 am

We just returned from a cruise to Nova Scotia on Princess. The only problem we faced was lack of electrical outlets by the bed. We both use Sleep apnea machines and ended up using a long extension cord and unplugging one of the bed lights for the. Fortunately we took a long cord with us. We had no slip from the doctor and distelled water was readily provided. It was a wonderful room provided especially for handicapped. Spacious and comfortable.

Enjoy your trip.

mariejeanne

Post by mariejeanne » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:55 am

If you can avoid cruise ship tap water, DO IT! Their freshwater holding tanks can be a real bacteria soup.

RachelM

Post by RachelM » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:19 am

I cruised the Princess Lines before CPAP and it was a wonderful trip. If you haven't, call them and see what their accommodations are. Since CPAP, I have been on Royal Caribbean. When I called ahead of time to ask about CPAP accommodations they must have made a note on reservation. Upon boarding, a representative made sure my CPAP was along. Then after settling in the cabin steward checked in to see if I needed an extension cord or anything else (I always bring my own power extension cord/surge protector/power strip). I think with the number of people cruising with CPAPs nowadays the cruise lines are very anxious to have their CPAP-toting guests stay healthy and well on the trip.

Darth Lady

Post by Darth Lady » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:06 pm

Thanks everyone for your input - I will be in touch with them to make sure everything goes smoothly. I'm looking forward to the experience. I too have a handicapped room as I'm now mobility impaired. I'll also have to ask them how shore excursions work with a rollator. Not too well in the sand, I expect.... . Hopefully I can get by with a cane.

mariejeanne

Post by mariejeanne » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:20 pm

Darth Lady wrote:Thanks everyone for your input - I will be in touch with them to make sure everything goes smoothly. I'm looking forward to the experience. I too have a handicapped room as I'm now mobility impaired. I'll also have to ask them how shore excursions work with a rollator. Not too well in the sand, I expect.... . Hopefully I can get by with a cane.
I know it's pricy, but the beach rollator is a thing. Image http://www.amazon.com/Beach-Walker-Alum ... B00HWFBWY4