Saw the Neurologist today

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jeniburns1@gmail.com

Re: Saw the Neurologist today

Post by jeniburns1@gmail.com » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:52 pm

Sc0ttt it's a asv machine. When they had him on clap during his sleep study it did not help at all. When the pressure is lower he has several central events. The neurologist we saw said he was very lucky he did not have a cardiac event because his central s were so bad he would take 2-3 breaths then pause for a minute.

DavidCarolina

Post by DavidCarolina » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:20 pm

Get a neurologist who specializes in sleep study!!!

Heres one such guy https://www.woosterhospital.org/physici ... m-novak-md

cyclist56

Post by cyclist56 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:45 am

jeniburns1@gmail.com wrote:Lsat my husband's machine is an aircurve 10 asv with pressure set at 9. Last night he had a ahi of 0.12 but the last 9 days it's been zero. I've read through the sleepheadreports myself every day and he is consistent there are times u can see he is starting and the machine kicks in but those stay about 9 seconds and are gone. His pressure averages about 12 on the reports. The machine was just checked out 3 weeks ago. Last night's central lasted 30 seconds.
My understanding is that CA stands for Clear Airway on the Resmed machines, i.e. there is a cessation of breathing even though the airway is clear. This may or may not be a central. I record CAs, but they are when I'm awake, so they are not central apneas.

Ladyflower

Post by Ladyflower » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:11 pm

LSAT wrote:
jeniburns1@gmail.com wrote:Sorry LSAT I wasn't very clear. When we had the pressure at 7 he was still having 20 AHI at night and when we bumped up the pressure to 8 his ahi decreased to 10ish and when we pushed the pressure up to 10 his ahi has stayed constently at 0.

kteague I think that is what bothers me the doctor never examined my husband he just sat in his chair and talked with us and the only lab workup was the cardiac and the sleep study. He only saw us because my insurance was not going to cover the ASV machine.
Nobodys AHI stays constantly at zero. I agree with janknitz....you need your machine checked out. You might try pulling the plug...waiting a minute and then repluging. This should re boot the machine. I would still have the DME check it also.

I use a Resmed S9 ASV and my AHI is usually 0. Very rarely does it deviate. From my talks with Pugsy, having a 0 AHI with an ASV is quite possible and normal. That's why the ASV costs big $$, it does it's job well!
Machine: Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt ASV
Mask: AirFit p10 Nasal pillow mask, DreamWear Nasal Mask

sickwithapnea17

Post by sickwithapnea17 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:40 pm

I hated the resmed s9, it would just blast pressure which was difficult to tolerate. The phillips asv is much better. It took me years to find a neurologist who knew anything about sleep disorders, then he told me I had complex asthma and prescribed gabapentin. but the gabapentin kind of left me cognitively impaired at 600mg a day even though it was supposed to increase slow wave delta wave sleep.
18/14 bipap st