Adjusting

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
zoocrewphoto

Re: Adjusting

Post by zoocrewphoto » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:59 pm

Slim1950 wrote:Thanks for your replies. So far my average sleep time with the mask is 4.5 hours. Last night I did almost 5. So that's progress. And it's the bladder that wakes me, I think. Then I cannot get back to sleep. So I go the last couple of hours without the mask. I will cut back on the fluids in the evg to see if that a helps.
You need to get the software running and look at your graphs. If you have any clusters of events or long events, you may still have some changes to make to your pressure settings. While the bladder thing could be too much to drink at night, it is also a classical symptom of untreated sleep apnea. So, the full bladder could be caused by sleep apnea.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:05 pm

While nocturia is one symptom of sleep apnea there are other potential causes for the nocturia.
What gender and age are you?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

kteague

Post by kteague » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:24 pm

Slim1950 wrote:Seems counterintuitive to up the pressure when it is the higher pressure that wakes me up. Help me understand this.
If the starting pressure is adequate to prevent the triggers that make the machine increase pressure, maybe the higher pressures that give you trouble could be avoided. The little bit we are talking about increasing the lower pressure is probably not going to be enough to be problematic, and if it prevents a bigger problem, you win. Does that make sense? I feel like I didn't explain myself well.

Slim1950

Post by Slim1950 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:11 pm

zoocrewphoto wrote:
Slim1950 wrote:Thanks for your replies. So far my average sleep time with the mask is 4.5 hours. Last night I did almost 5. So that's progress. And it's the bladder that wakes me, I think. Then I cannot get back to sleep. So I go the last couple of hours without the mask. I will cut back on the fluids in the evg to see if that a helps.
You need to get the software running and look at your graphs. If you have any clusters of events or long events, you may still have some changes to make to your pressure settings. While the bladder thing could be too much to drink at night, it is also a classical symptom of untreated sleep apnea. So, the full bladder could be caused by sleep apnea.
Can you give me a link where I can simply download the software? I follow the trail and it tells me I have to be a professional to use the software.

Slim1950

Post by Slim1950 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:17 am

I don't know what to say or do. I am tired out of my skull. The night before last was terrible. Could not sleep with the mask. Took it off after a couple of hours. So I thought for sure I would drop off last night. But now. I tried and tried till 1 A.M. and finally ripped the mask off, took a 1/2 a pill and went to sleep.

However, I do have a titration study coming up this Sunday. If they cannot help, then there is no help. And I don't think I can afford a dental device.

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:36 am

But after you took the pill and began to feel sleepy, why didn't you put your mask back on, knowing you'd be asleep in 10 mins with or without it?

Slim1950

Post by Slim1950 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:10 am

Julie wrote:But after you took the pill and began to feel sleepy, why didn't you put your mask back on, knowing you'd be asleep in 10 mins with or without it?
Don't expect rational behaviour from me when I am this tired. In my previous attempt to get used to a machine (15 years ago) I lost the ability to sleep with the machine even with a sleeping pill.

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:47 am

Oh well..

Slim1950

Post by Slim1950 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:52 am

Julie wrote:Oh well..
But you are absolutely right. I should have!

Slim1950

Post by Slim1950 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:51 am

I don't know why, or what is happening. the longer I use the CPAP, the less I can tolerate it. Last night, I had to quit, removed the mask and went to sleep. I am exhausted. The fatigue I feel is worse than the fatigue I get with the apnea. My focus is gone, I can hardly work.
Thankfully it's a desk job. I told them this is why I quit the machine 13 years ago. And they questioned my commitment.

I don't know what to do.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:56 am

Get Sleepyhead and see what is going on. There may need to be changes but the data needs to be looked at to determine that. This link will direct you and be sure to checkout all the links on the site. It was developed by a member here. https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead
If you have questions about downloading and using someone will help.
Have you made any changes to your settings?
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

Slim1950

Post by Slim1950 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:45 pm

I am thinking of returning the machine. I was getting better sleep without it.
I don't see how fiddling with the settings help. I cannot fall asleep with the pressure at it's lowest. I was advised to increase the pressure, but it is an APAP and will adjust to what the machine "thinks" I need.

I do not understand why sometimes I can exhale without difficulty and other times I cannot. It's a mystery to me.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:34 pm

Slim1950 wrote:I am thinking of returning the machine. I was getting better sleep without it.
I don't see how fiddling with the settings help. I cannot fall asleep with the pressure at it's lowest. I was advised to increase the pressure, but it is an APAP and will adjust to what the machine "thinks" I need.

I do not understand why sometimes I can exhale without difficulty and other times I cannot. It's a mystery to me.

It will continue to be a mystery if you never look at the data and see what it is actually doing.

In APAP mode, the machine will go where it thinks it needs to go, but in increments. It doesn't sit at 6 and then instantly know that you need 9 (or whatever). It goes up a twink, waits and checks, then goes up a little, waits and checks, etc. If you need X most of the night, it makes no sense to have the lower pressure set lower than X.

Also, if the changes in pressure bother you, then you may need to be at a straight pressure, and that means setting it for whatever gives you the best results most of then night. To figure this out, you need to look at the data.

There is so much more advice we could give you *IF* you would look at the data and post it. You are currently flying blind and complaining that you don't know what is going on. Download the data and use the best tool you have.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:42 pm

Slim1950 wrote:Thanks for your replies. So far my average sleep time with the mask is 4.5 hours. Last night I did almost 5. So that's progress. And it's the bladder that wakes me, I think. Then I cannot get back to sleep. So I go the last couple of hours without the mask. I will cutalk back on the fluids in the evg to see if that a helps.
Would you please fill out your profile with the exact equipment and settings you're using.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:00 pm

The 7/20 for mask seal is the MyAir score for overall mask seal. Even though it shows a smiley face for your mask seal, you are having leaks. The lower the score, the higher your leaks. A good seal will give you a score of 20/20. Major leaks will lower your score even more.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.