Frustrated...unsure where to go what to do!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
mzdawn74

Re: Frustrated...unsure where to go what to do!

Post by mzdawn74 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:51 pm

kteague wrote:Hi MzDawn. Is there a possibility you could ask your doctor to order a 1 or 2 week trial on a fully data capable auto machine to see if the data reveals any issues that need resolution? On which end of the night is your lack of more sleep - do you have trouble getting to sleep or waking up too soon? It could be your OSA treatment is not the issue. That's why I suggested the trial on an auto, to rule this out.

What is the status of your PLMD? I know we've talked a lot in PM's a while back and I was wondering how you are doing. Is there any resolution there?
Hi,

Thanks for responding. I asked about a trial and he said he is unable to do that. I will have to try and purchase a used data capable machine on my own. Most of the time I have an issue with staying asleep, not falling asleep, and then waking up really early in the morning.

I haven't noticed any issues with the PLMD, I take the 0.5 klonopin prescribed by my neuro for that.

As far as how I'm doing..going brain dead..exhausted...

Thanks,
Dawn

mzdawn74

Post by mzdawn74 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:52 pm

Wulfman... wrote:Dawn,

Like the others have said, that's not nearly enough sleep to help you restore or improve your cognitive functions.
You're not getting your sleep debt paid off or maintaining any kind of sufficient sleep quantity or quality.
In my opinion and speaking from my experience, at least seven hours is the bare minimum.

Den

Thanks for your response. I agree and am working on it.

Thanks,
Dawn

cyclist56

Post by cyclist56 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:26 pm

Dawn:
Your situation is very similar to mine. Anxiety, depression and insomnia starting about a year ago. I took trazadone for awhile, and it worked well, but it lost some of its effectiveness after about a month. Switched mirtazapine, which helped me sleep, but didn't feel more rested, and weight gain was an issue. A friend of mine with depression has been taking trazadone for a year and it still works well; plus it's very benign compared to some of the alternatives. I've also been taking paxil. In March, my psychiatrist had me do a sleep study because, even when I slept 7 hours, I'd still wake up very tired and didn't have much energy. I had mild apnea (7.1 AHI) and PLMD (severe). I finally got the CPAP in June, adapted pretty well, but was only getting 4 or 5 hours sleep per night (was not taking any meds for sleep by then). I was not feeling much better. In August, I had a follow up with the sleep doc, who had wanted me to take clonazepam to help with the PLMD. I had refused. Like you, I did not like taking drugs. He convinced me this time to take a very small dose, .25 mg, before bed. I had also been on a low dose of paxil, so, at the same time, that was increased to 30mg, the lowest therapeutic dose to help with anxiety. I started sleeping better and longer. After a couple of weeks, I started feeling better. Now I feel so much better. I might have a bad night now and then, and I feel it the next day, but nothing like before. The improvement was subtle and gradual over the last 6 weeks, but there has been great improvement. Depression/anxiety and insomnia are a chicken and egg relationship in terms pf cause and effect. My simple message is to get sleep however you have to do it in the short term.

mzdawn74

Post by mzdawn74 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:34 pm

cyclist56 wrote:Dawn:
Your situation is very similar to mine. Anxiety, depression and insomnia starting about a year ago. I took trazadone for awhile, and it worked well, but it lost some of its effectiveness after about a month. Switched mirtazapine, which helped me sleep, but didn't feel more rested, and weight gain was an issue. A friend of mine with depression has been taking trazadone for a year and it still works well; plus it's very benign compared to some of the alternatives. I've also been taking paxil. In March, my psychiatrist had me do a sleep study because, even when I slept 7 hours, I'd still wake up very tired and didn't have much energy. I had mild apnea (7.1 AHI) and PLMD (severe). I finally got the CPAP in June, adapted pretty well, but was only getting 4 or 5 hours sleep per night (was not taking any meds for sleep by then). I was not feeling much better. In August, I had a follow up with the sleep doc, who had wanted me to take clonazepam to help with the PLMD. I had refused. Like you, I did not like taking drugs. He convinced me this time to take a very small dose, .25 mg, before bed. I had also been on a low dose of paxil, so, at the same time, that was increased to 30mg, the lowest therapeutic dose to help with anxiety. I started sleeping better and longer. After a couple of weeks, I started feeling better. Now I feel so much better. I might have a bad night now and then, and I feel it the next day, but nothing like before. The improvement was subtle and gradual over the last 6 weeks, but there has been great improvement. Depression/anxiety and insomnia are a chicken and egg relationship in terms pf cause and effect. My simple message is to get sleep however you have to do it in the short term.
Thank you so much for your response and sharing your story with me. You are totally correct we do share a lot of similarities. I am hoping between the klonopin, trazadone, vistaryl, and Lexapro I am able to relieve my anxiety, depression, and insomnia. Which will allow me to get more quality sleep, return of my cognitive functioning, and the benefits of my cpap therapy.

Dawn