What is the quietest cpap?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Christine L

Re: What is the quietest cpap?

Post by Christine L » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:20 am

Pugsy wrote:With a diagnosis of UARS that usually goes along with being hypersensitive to pretty much everything and makes for a very difficult situation in terms of fixing the issues.
I bet you are right.

How do you pronounce UARS? waars? you-arz?

Christine L

Post by Christine L » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:21 am

Maybe you can't? -- http://emmasaying.com/?s=uars

lindalam89

Post by lindalam89 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:36 am

Thanks for all the responses. I have not done a fixed pressure or turned off exhalation relief on the intellipap. I'm not sure what model it is. The one I tried was very used to the point no matter how much I washed it, still has faint smoke smells. Doesn't mean much but my presumption would be if intellipap made newer models, I probably used an older one.

I place my rematar cpap on the bottom drawer of my nightstand. I also use a Phillips hose cover. I stuck with the Amara view because there was less echo noise in that one. But I can still here the inhalation. I have tinnitus and that doesn't bother me. But the inhalation noise from the machine does.

I wear earplugs to block external noise but I know it amplifies breathing noise. Given the choice I rather hear breathing noise instead of the environment noises. I compromised by using lower decibel blocking earplugs.

I'm still stuck whether I should just stick with my Remstar or if I should try a different machine. I'm probably not going to find a virtually quiet machine.
ResMed AirSense 11
AutoSet For HerModel
PAP Mode: Auto for Her
Min 7.2 Max 12.6 (cmH2O)
humidifier: 8
Amara view face mask
99% mask fit

spmccord

Post by spmccord » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:53 am

I'm a small minority here...I like the noise!

My house was an old corner grocery store so it sits right up to the easement. I need noise to help block out the street noise. I use a sound spa, an air purifier, and now the BPap!

lindalam89

Post by lindalam89 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:42 pm

I'm hearing a lot which I hope would be hopeful feedback that a RESMED S9 is the quietest cpap out there and does not have the breathing noise that REMstar respironics makes... I looked at cpap.com and noticed that the Airsense which is newer, has a higher decibel point. What I want to know is, is the Resmed S9 quieter than the new Resmed Airsense machine? or is it the reverse and they just got the decibels wrong? I also keep hearing that Resmed has a machine that is 24 decibels!! Which cpap machine is that?
ResMed AirSense 11
AutoSet For HerModel
Min 7.2 Max 12.6 (cmH2O)
Amara view face mask
99% mask fit

Gasper62

Post by Gasper62 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:07 am

I started pap therapy with a bare-bones Remstar-250 that made a LOT more noise than my new (in April) S-9 Autoset which is placed at a level that is lower than my mattress, and, behind my "ear line" by approx. 10 inches . I have to listen pretty hard to hear it at all these days. Maybe you might try a longer air hose and moving the machine a little farther away from your head. I also suppose that one of the inline filters sold might act somewhat as a muffler on the blower sounds transmitted thru the hose. Just a guess. Good luck. Link to inline filter: https://www.cpap.com/productpage/respir ... -pack.html

mommydear

Post by mommydear » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:28 am

As you can see by my join date that I'm new to CPAP I have a DeVilbiss ACPAP with the humidfier. If it weren't for me opening my mouth I wouldn't know it was on. Mine is real quiet & real new. So maybe the fact that the one you tried isn't new could be why it seemed noisy. The white noise solution is good. I turn on tablet to listen to an audiobook to distract from other noise. Next thing I know it's morning & my dogs are jumping on my bed. Maybe ditching the earplugs would be solution to try.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:37 am

What noise? I sleep on my good ear. (Hearing aid in the Dry-Store)
The coal trains going by a half block away never phase me.
I slept right through a lightning strike on a huge cottonwood next to the garage.
Sometimes I hear the machine, but it's rhythmic and soothes me.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:06 am

lindalam89 wrote:breathing noise
Are you hearing the machine, or are you hearing your own breathing?

(Sorry if this is already covered. I did not want to read the entire thread.)

lindalam89

Post by lindalam89 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:40 am

Definitely breathing noise from air tunneling inside me ON CPAP. I wear earplugs and when I don't wear a cpap I get deeper sleep, hear practically nothing except tinnitus and I fall asleep faster. I am not overweight and have no deviated septum. I don't hear anything with earplugs except the sound of the tinnitus.

The filter sounds like a nice idea. I tried going back to apap mode with the lowest pressure setting. The sound as reduced a lot but my basis watch still says I have no deep sleep. I only get slightly deeper sleep without the cpap
ResMed AirSense 11
AutoSet For HerModel
Min 7.2 Max 12.6 (cmH2O)
Amara view face mask
99% mask fit

KeepSmiling

Post by KeepSmiling » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:42 am

lindalam89 wrote:Thanks for all the responses. I have not done a fixed pressure or turned off exhalation relief on the intellipap. I'm not sure what model it is. The one I tried was very used to the point no matter how much I washed it, still has faint smoke smells. Doesn't mean much but my presumption would be if intellipap made newer models, I probably used an older one.

I place my rematar cpap on the bottom drawer of my nightstand. I also use a Phillips hose cover. I stuck with the Amara view because there was less echo noise in that one. But I can still here the inhalation. I have tinnitus and that doesn't bother me. But the inhalation noise from the machine does.

I wear earplugs to block external noise but I know it amplifies breathing noise. Given the choice I rather hear breathing noise instead of the environment noises. I compromised by using lower decibel blocking earplugs.

I'm still stuck whether I should just stick with my Remstar or if I should try a different machine. I'm probably not going to find a virtually quiet machine.
Have you tried putting your Remstar on the floor to see if any noise vibration on the machine is reduced. I know that would not make a difference for the mask. I have noticed a reduction of noise level in the mask when the tube is under the blankets. Not sure if that would be enough for you.

On the Rmestar, I turned off the AFlex/CFlex. I do not know if it makes a difference in noise or not, it just one more thing disturbing me.

As for the smoke smell, I would not disregard that company based on that one machine if you liked your sleep on it. It may be an issue with the machine itself or it could have gone through a smoke fire. I know someone who's house insurance paid for a new CPAP because of the smoke damage in the home. Insurance said just get a new machine, because the insides would have to be stripped to be cleaned and it would be to costly.

Redonthehead

Post by Redonthehead » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:31 pm

I complained to Apria of the inhalation noise of my PR560. They replaced it. MUCH better with this one.

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:55 pm

Both the current series of Respironics and the Resmed Airsense are silent. I've had both and couldn't hear a thing. Your mask, on the other hand, is another animal. That makes noise if the air egress point is hampered by pillow, sheets, partner, pet. I also found the Resmed 9 auto to be silent as well.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

englandsf

Post by englandsf » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:00 pm

I have twin S9's that are very quiet. I do have it on a rock solid night stand top buttery close to my head. FFMs are WAY noisier than pillows too.

lindalam89

Post by lindalam89 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:18 pm

I place the remstar in the lower drawer of my nightstand with towels underneath to reduce vibration. The hose has a Phillips respironics tube cozy... It's a waterproof material not very thick. I also place the tube under my blanket.

The Amara view is the only mask I tolerate. The pillows made me feel like I was suffocating and so did the nasal mask. The other full face masks were not tight enough on the bridge. I have a flat plane there.

I'm getting confused now. So the resmed and remstar have the same sound level?

I wouldn't call it silent. I've used several remstar... 3 different cpap of the same model.

The best I can do is keep it on apap mode so it starts on 4cm water pressure.

Are you guys saying that if I used my savings to buy sat a s9 or air sense, I will be disappointed since there won't be much difference in sound?
ResMed AirSense 11
AutoSet For HerModel
Min 7.2 Max 12.6 (cmH2O)
Amara view face mask
99% mask fit