What is the quietest cpap?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
lindalam89

What is the quietest cpap?

Post by lindalam89 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:36 pm

I am having problems acclimating to cpap. My biggest problem is the revving up noise upon inhalation with my remstar auto cpap that Kaiser prescribed me. The specs says it is 29 decibels. I wear ear plugs and can't tune out the inhalation noise. Tried all sorts of masks.

I was kindly lent a intellipap cpap devilbiss(sp?) which says it is 26 decibels but honestly it sounded just as noisy if not noisier than my 29 decibel cpap. I've heard others though say it's quiet. Does anyone think buying a newer cpap with lower decibels will be any quieter? Or should I just stick with my current cpap? I don't have much money to buy a new one but will if it means tolerating noise.
Last edited by lindalam89 on Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ResMed AirSense 11
AutoSet For HerModel
PAP Mode: Auto for Her
Min 7.2 Max 12.6 (cmH2O)
humidifier: 8
Amara view face mask
99% mask fit

Wulfman...

Re: What is the quietest cpap?

Post by Wulfman... » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:44 pm

lindalam89 wrote:I am having problems acclimating to cpap. My biggest problem is the revving up noise upon inhalation with my remstar auto cpap that Kaiser prescribed me. The specs says it is 29 decibels. I wear ear plugs and can't tune out the inhalation noise. Tried all sorts of masks.

I was kindly lent a intellipap cpap from devilbiss(sp?) which says it is 26 decibels but honestly it sounded just as noisy if not noisier than my 29 decibel cpap. I've heard others though say it's quiet. Does anyone think buying a newer cpap with lower decibels will be any quieter? Or should I just stick with my current cpap? I don't have much money to buy a new one but will if it means tolerating noise.
I was just reading your previous post and was contemplating responding to it, but then I saw this one........
What ARE all of your settings (in either or both machines)?
Have you taken your machine in to the DME (or equipment supplier) and asked them to check it out regarding the noise?
If they're functioning OK, and there aren't any leaks or other problems, I would think they're probably in line with most other brands/models. If you're using a range of pressures and/or exhale relief, I would think those MIGHT affect the noise levels as the increase and decrease pressures.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

archangle

Post by archangle » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:14 pm

Unfortunately, there's no clear answer. Individual machines in the same model seem to vary a lot from each other.

I came to the conclusion that the Philips Respironics machines send a lot of noise down the hose, and you may hear the sound conducted through your mouth and nose through your head rather than through your ears. Unfortunately, I don't have an easy fix. The humidifier may make a difference.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

lindalam89

Post by lindalam89 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:23 pm

Hi Den, I got my Phillips remstar machine straight from Kaiser. I also asked my therapist about the noise. He and many other told me that my machine is working top notch, no problems. Sound perception is generally an individual problem is what the therapists told me

Archangel: that's exactly my problem! I can hear the sound of the air pressure echoing inside me. The ear plugs block out the external sounds very well.

Do you think from your experience other machines would not have that issue? I was looking at all the lower decibel machines on cpap.com. The intellipap by specs should be the quietest. I admit the intellipap that I used however was a used machine. My therapist was kind enough to lend it to me. Didn't test it out much but it was my perception the noise was equal despite the labeled lower decibel.

Has anyone else tried the intellipap or any other cpap in the 26 decibel range? Is it any mildly quieter than the remstar?
ResMed AirSense 11
AutoSet For HerModel
PAP Mode: Auto for Her
Min 7.2 Max 12.6 (cmH2O)
humidifier: 8
Amara view face mask
99% mask fit

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:28 pm

lindalam89 wrote:Hi Den, I got my Phillips remstar machine straight from Kaiser. I also asked my therapist about the noise. He and many other told me that my machine is working top notch, no problems. Sound perception is generally an individual problem is what the therapists told me

Archangel: that's exactly my problem! I can hear the sound of the air pressure echoing inside me. The ear plugs block out the external sounds very well.

Do you think from your experience other machines would not have that issue? I was looking at all the lower decibel machines on cpap.com. The intellipap by specs should be the quietest. I admit the intellipap that I used however was a used machine. My therapist was kind enough to lend it to me. Didn't test it out much but it was my perception the noise was equal despite the labeled lower decibel.

Has anyone else tried the intellipap or any other cpap in the 26 decibel range? Is it any mildly quieter than the remstar?
Quite a few people on the forum have Intellipap machines. But, the "noise" level can vary significantly in the same make and models. It's "the luck of the draw". This is why (I believe) I suggested trying straight pressure and maybe turning off the exhale relief to see if the pressure changes or exhale relief were a factor.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

cancun

Post by cancun » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:35 pm

I have only ever used one machine and don't think I am overly sensitive to noise but I use the ResMed AirSense 10 and find it to be a very quiet machine. Of course when I have a leak I hear that but otherwise it seems very quiet.
Hopefully you will get more feedback.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:54 pm

I have found that ear plugs tend to make noises worse for me. I can hear my breathing really loudly. Also, I don't know if it is hear or feeling, but I am extremely aware of my pulse. For this reason, I refuse to wear earplugs for any reason. If I have trouble with a noise, i wear headphones and listen to music.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:59 pm

zoocrewphoto wrote:I have found that ear plugs tend to make noises worse for me. I can hear my breathing really loudly. Also, I don't know if it is hear or feeling, but I am extremely aware of my pulse. For this reason, I refuse to wear earplugs for any reason. If I have trouble with a noise, i wear headphones and listen to music.
Same here.
And, internally, especially where the inner ear canals are somewhat connected to the air we breathe, can exacerbate sounds for some. Lots of people have commented on inner ear problems being an issue when using this therapy.

Den

User since 05/14/05

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:07 pm

Wulfman... wrote:
zoocrewphoto wrote:I have found that ear plugs tend to make noises worse for me. I can hear my breathing really loudly. Also, I don't know if it is hear or feeling, but I am extremely aware of my pulse. For this reason, I refuse to wear earplugs for any reason. If I have trouble with a noise, i wear headphones and listen to music.
Same here.
And, internally, especially where the inner ear canals are somewhat connected to the air we breathe, can exacerbate sounds for some. Lots of people have commented on inner ear problems being problematic when using this therapy.

Den

My ears have not been bothered by the cpap therapy, but I do have a history of ear infections as a child. My hearing is poor enough that i know it doesn't work well, and my directional hearing is horrible. But I pass every test from the ear doctor with no problem. Strange.

My mom sleeps with ear plugs and cannot understand why I have such a problem with them. We both use the same model machine and mask.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

SGearhart

Post by SGearhart » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:50 am

I have a Resmed S9 and have found that placement can make a difference on sound. If I place the CPAP on my nightstand, the blower vibration frequency is amplified by the drawer area below the top and acts like a speaker. Needless to say, this greatly increases the blower sound. I've found that a little TV stand made out of cheap medium density fiberboard (MDF) is the quietest. You might consider placing a folded bath towel under the unit or setting it on an upholstered chair to see if this reduces the sound.

Good luck in your efforts.

Christine L

Post by Christine L » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:38 am

I made my machine very quiet by following tips that came from here. Place the machine lower than the top of the mattress. Put a thick mouse pad under it. Use a thick hose cover. I hardly hear the air now.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:47 am

Christine L wrote:I made my machine very quiet by following tips that came from here. Place the machine lower than the top of the mattress. Put a thick mouse pad under it. Use a thick hose cover. I hardly hear the air now.
Best idea..

Cardsfan

Post by Cardsfan » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:26 am

You can add some white noise that is constant. I run a fan that makes a constant noise, otherwise I can hear my breathing in and out. The fan noise cancels out the cpap noise.

Christine L

Post by Christine L » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:45 am

Cardsfan wrote:otherwise I can hear my breathing in and out
Quit listening. Think about something else.

If I listen, I can hear myself breathing while sitting at this workstation typing. But who does that?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:48 am

Christine L wrote:If I listen, I can hear myself breathing while sitting at this workstation typing. But who does that?
I just tried it both with my fingers in my ears and without...and you are correct.
Without the fingers in my ears I can still hear my breathing in and out but I have to listen hard to hear it.
Put my fingers in my ears and I hear it loud and clear and that's what I hear with my machine. I have learned to tune it out. When using my machine if I put my fingers in my ears I hear it again much louder.

If OP is using ear plugs....it's likely she is always going to hear her own breathing if she listens for it and someone who is hypersensitive to everything is going to listen and find it hard to tune it out.

To answer the original question...I have used both the ResMed and Respironics brands of machines and Respironics seems to have a little more "inhale" noise and ResMed seems to have a little more "exhale" noise.
Overall the ResMed machines might win out the noise contest but only by a very slim margin.
My husband says both brands are pretty much silent and often he has to reach over to feel for the vented air to even know that I have the machine one. He used to poke me in the ribs to wake me to tell me to put the mask on and after a few pokes back with "I have the damn thing on" he learned to just feel for the air venting.

I suspect that the ear plugs are amplifying normal conducted noise of breathing for the OP and that is what she is probably hearing. A hose cozy might help reduce the noise a bit but as to reducing it to the point it isn't noticeable....I have my doubts. With a diagnosis of UARS that usually goes along with being hypersensitive to pretty much everything and makes for a very difficult situation in terms of fixing the issues. The ear plugs may be necessary for other external noises but they are likely to make the breathing noise amplified and when one thinks about the breathing noise it just seems louder and more annoying.
One has to learn to not think about it and that's easier said than done for some people.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.