Can we learn to keep the mouth closed?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
kteague

Re: Can we learn to keep the mouth closed?

Post by kteague » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:17 pm

I'm one who was able to eventually stop mouth breathing. I have no nasal abnormalities or significant congestion. It was a matter of breaking the habit and learning that my head needs to be horizontal with no tilt so that gravity doesn't pull a slack jaw open.

And... RESTED GAL!!!!!

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:05 pm

KTEAGUE !!!! ...
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

mariejeanne

Post by mariejeanne » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:14 am

I was a huge mouth breather before CPAP. It took a few weeks but I did manage to stop, without using a chin strap. Finding my ideal humidity setting was key.

sweetsnore

Post by sweetsnore » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:10 pm

Wulfman: I read your other post about pillows and am concluding that you're using a standard fiberfill pillow (or something similar).

I'm a committed down pillow sleeper. It conforms well and provides great neck and head support. I can punch in down a bit for he mask. It isn't perfect, and when I move around in my sleep the mask gets pushed around.

The bottom line is, I guess I'm so danged picky, I'm just trying to find out as much as I can about other folks' solutions to the various issues.

Ah, well.

M

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:09 pm

sweetsnore wrote:Wulfman: I read your other post about pillows and am concluding that you're using a standard fiberfill pillow (or something similar).

I'm a committed down pillow sleeper. It conforms well and provides great neck and head support. I can punch in down a bit for he mask. It isn't perfect, and when I move around in my sleep the mask gets pushed around.

The bottom line is, I guess I'm so danged picky, I'm just trying to find out as much as I can about other folks' solutions to the various issues.

Ah, well.

M
No. I use a Chiroflow water-based pillow.......and have for years before I started my CPAP therapy.

http://chiroflow.com/

Once I started using them, I haven't been able to tolerate any other kind of pillow again.

Edit: After re-reading yours and my posts, I presume you were somewhat quoting what I had said regarding your earlier post.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05