Can we learn to keep the mouth closed?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sweetsnore

Can we learn to keep the mouth closed?

Post by sweetsnore » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:22 am

Any success for mouth breathers changing their habit after using a chin support for awhile? I would so like to switch to the nose pillow like my husband uses.

ButtermilkBuoy

Re: Can we learn to keep the mouth closed?

Post by ButtermilkBuoy » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:34 am

Nope. Tried everything. Now, very happy with my FFM. Some people's mouths just gonna open.

musculus

Post by musculus » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:37 am

maybe check for nasal congestion first..

I have nasal congestion that become way worse during REM sleep. So I changed to full face mask and it made a difference over the nasal pillow.

ButtermilkBuoy

Post by ButtermilkBuoy » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:51 am

musculus wrote:nasal congestion that become way worse during REM sleep
That's the first time I've heard that one.

Your muscles are at their maximum relaxation during REM. This includes the muscles in the airway, so typically, OSA is at its worse during REM. That's probably what is happening instead of congestion.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:08 pm

It depends on why you are mouth breathing. If you are mouth breathing out of habit then yes you can break the habit. If you are mouth breathing simply because you can't move enough air to be comfortable through only your nose for some reason (that you can't fix) then it's unlikely that you could make the switch.
So the first step is to figure out why the mouth breathing.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:11 pm

sweetsnore wrote:Any success for mouth breathers changing their habit after using a chin support for awhile? I would so like to switch to the nose pillow like my husband uses.
Along the lines of what Pugsy said, you need to evaluate WHY you're a mouth-breather.
Could be enlarged turbinates or deviated septum or varying degrees of allergies.
I was a mouth-breather all of my life (probably for some of those reasons) and when I started this therapy I selected a full face mask. In the beginning, I discovered I didn't like heated humidity and turned it off permanently. Over the first year, I figured out how to do periodic and nightly nasal cleansing so I could at least breathe through my nose. I also trained my tongue to stay to the roof of my mouth all night. All that, combined with the cool "passover" humidity helped keep my nasal passages open to be able to breathe through my nose on a regular basis for the first time in my life. I've never used anything other than a full face mask and am slightly curious as to why you'd want to use a nasal one. I never could imagine trying to sleep with those things shoved up my nostrils all night long. And, I figured by the time I took all the precautions to keep my mouth shut, I'd feel more claustrophobic than any full face mask could make me feel.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

sweetsnore

Post by sweetsnore » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:31 pm

Well, the reason I'd prefer not to use the full face is because of face comfort as I sleep on my side. The pressure from my pillow tends to push the mask against the side of my lips and against my eyebrow.

I am trying a brand new Resmed hybrid mask that takes care of that eyebrow pressure, but it is a little leaky, so not sure it will be adequate yet.

I have insomnia terribly, and as you can imagine, this contraption doesn't help.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:37 pm

PapPillow.com

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:42 pm

sweetsnore wrote:Well, the reason I'd prefer not to use the full face is because of face comfort as I sleep on my side. The pressure from my pillow tends to push the mask against the side of my lips and against my eyebrow.

I am trying a brand new Resmed hybrid mask that takes care of that eyebrow pressure, but it is a little leaky, so not sure it will be adequate yet.

I have insomnia terribly, and as you can imagine, this contraption doesn't help.
I read your other post about pillows and am concluding that you're using a standard fiberfill pillow (or something similar). If so, those pillows are terrible for sleep with this therapy. Years before I started CPAP use, I started using a Chiroflow water-based pillow which keeps my head from sinking into it. The height can be adjusted for spinal position and for softness. I'm a confirmed side-sleeper and my head doesn't sink too far into the pillow, but just enough to be comfortable and shape-able. Anyway, the Chiroflow worked just fine for me after I started CPAP and I've continued to use it.

Over the years, I've occasionally tried to go back to using a fiberfill pillow and the results were disastrous for leaks and too uncomfortable.
I do have a foam pillow I recently used for a couple of months (as an experiment) and that didn't work too bad, but soon went back to my Chiroflow.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

musculus

Post by musculus » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:43 pm

ButtermilkBuoy wrote:
musculus wrote:nasal congestion that become way worse during REM sleep
That's the first time I've heard that one.

Your muscles are at their maximum relaxation during REM. This includes the muscles in the airway, so typically, OSA is at its worse during REM. That's probably what is happening instead of congestion.
Abstract

Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2008 Nov;139(5):619-23. doi: 10.1016/j.otohns.2008.08.017.

REM-associated nasal obstruction: a study with acoustic rhinometry during sleep.

Morris LG1, Burschtin O, Setlur J, Bommelje CC, Lee KC, Jacobs JB, Lebowitz RA.

Author information

Abstract

OBJECTIVE:

Obstructive sleep apnea events are more common in REM sleep, although there is no relationship between sleep phase and pharyngeal airway status. We studied the patency of the nasal airway during REM and non-REM sleep with the use of acoustic rhinometry.

METHODS:

Serial acoustic rhinometric assessment of nasal cross-sectional area was performed in 10 subjects, before sleep and during REM and non-REM sleep. All measurements were standardized to a decongested baseline with mean congestion factor (MCF).

RESULTS:

MCF in the seated position was 10.6% (+/-3.7) and increased with supine positioning to 16.2% (+/-2.3). In REM sleep, MCF was highest, at 22.3% (+/-1.7). In non-REM sleep, MCF was lowest, at 2.3% (+/-3.1). All interstage comparisons were statistically significant on repeated measures ANOVA (P < 0.05).

CONCLUSION:

REM sleep is characterized by significant nasal congestion; non-REM sleep, by profound decongestion. This phenomenon may be attributable to REM-dependent variation in cerebral blood flow that affects nasal congestion via the internal carotid system. REM-induced nasal congestion, an indirect effect of augmented cerebral perfusion, may contribute to the higher frequency of obstructive events in REM sleep.

Link: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18984253

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:45 pm

For over ten years I've been using tape over my mouth to prevent my mouth-breathing during sleep. That's the only way I've been able to use the nasal pillows mask I prefer.

Here's a link with a lot of topics about creative ways to prevent mouth breathing while sleeping:

viewtopic.php?t=8011
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:00 pm

rested gal wrote:For over ten years I've been using tape over my mouth to prevent my mouth-breathing during sleep. That's the only way I've been able to use the nasal pillows mask I prefer.

Here's a link with a lot of topics about creative ways to prevent mouth breathing while sleeping:

viewtopic.php?t=8011
I had a feeling you were still lurking.......

Good to see you post again........and happy (belated) 11th forum anniversary.

Best wishes.

Den

User since 05/14/05

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:22 pm

Wulfman... wrote:why you'd want to use a nasal one. I never could imagine trying to sleep with those things shoved up my nostrils all night long.
Nasal pillows aren't inserted into the nostrils. They have a flange that seals on the outside of the nares.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:57 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Wulfman... wrote:why you'd want to use a nasal one. I never could imagine trying to sleep with those things shoved up my nostrils all night long.
Nasal pillows aren't inserted into the nostrils. They have a flange that seals on the outside of the nares.
After looking at the various pillows over the years, the various "flanges" that they use would still be inserted in the nostrils to align the pillows in various ways. I would REALLY find that to be "annoying" and disturbing to my sleep. I wouldn't like something touching my nose in any way. For me, it ain't gonna happen!!!

For illustration purposes, I selected a couple from the users on this page.

Den

User since 05/14/05

englandsf

Post by englandsf » Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:25 pm

I failed to get off the FFM until I discovered nasal rinsing AND learned to use very little humility to dry out my nose and improve air flow. Now I'm fine on my P10 every night.