Nervous and excited

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Chilehead

Nervous and excited

Post by Chilehead » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:12 pm

After suffering for a couple years with constant tiredness and morning headaches, and finally doing a sleep study, I picked up a CPAP today and will be trying it out tonight. I only did the home study due to what my insurance would cover, so I believe I have an APAP (resmed airsense 10) which is set to a range to figure out what pressure I'll need. I was diagnosed with mild apnea, though I'm pretty sure it's higher than diagnosed because of the inaccuracy of the home study and the fact that I didn't sleep perfectly at home with the equipment on. Still trying to figure out what everything means here.

I'm assuming when I go to bed pressure will be set to 4 and automatically go up as needed during the titration study.

In the brief time I tried the mask out, there was pressure on exhale that I know is to be expected, and I hope I get used to that quickly.

Hoping to have an instant relief tomorrow, but I know that varies on the person.

ChicagoGranny

Re: Nervous and excited

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:22 pm

Chilehead wrote:though I'm pretty sure it's higher than diagnosed because of the inaccuracy of the home study and the fact that I didn't sleep perfectly at home with the equipment on.
Don't worry about what was. That's over. You are starting CPAP and will have a new future.

Chilehead wrote:will be trying it out
Don't try it out. Make a commitment and learn and do what is necessary to make this work for your health and vitality.

Don't worry if you have problems the first night. This is typical and there are many ways to overcome the problems and be successful.

Looking forward to hearing about your results,

kteague

Post by kteague » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:26 pm

Hello and welcome. You certainly are an optimist! Maybe you'll find out you need a very low pressure and the settings during testing are effective. That would give you a better chance of quick results. If not, help is on the horizon. I remember going to bed every night thinking "this may be the night..." and even though it seemed like an eternity that eternal optimism paid off.

Especially in view of having only home testing, make sure the machine you end up with gives you the data you need to assess your treatment going forward. I'm sure someone will come along with links to info on that. I'm betting those morning headaches will be the first thing to go once treatment is therapeutic.

Chilehead

Post by Chilehead » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:16 pm

I've used it two nights so far. The hardest part is actually getting to sleep. I feel like I'm working to get breaths in (and out.) Though after a while it doesn't seem bad. I don't know if that's because I got used to it, or if a higher pressure actually made it easier. First night the machine reported 1.2 events/hr, second night 0.2/hr

Haven't played with sleepyhead too much yet to see the more complete data.

kteague

Post by kteague » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:22 pm

Since you are saying your difficulties are with the pressure when going to sleep, it does sound like more pressure starting out might be better for you. It's hard for the brain to relax and go to sleep if it's getting signals it can't breathe well. I was like that early on. I was not on an auto but rather it was ramp that was problematic in my case. Let us know if a small adjustment helps.

Chilehead

Post by Chilehead » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:37 pm

kteague wrote:Since you are saying your difficulties are with the pressure when going to sleep, it does sound like more pressure starting out might be better for you. It's hard for the brain to relax and go to sleep if it's getting signals it can't breathe well. I was like that early on. I was not on an auto but rather it was ramp that was problematic in my case. Let us know if a small adjustment helps.
I know there is a way to adjust the pressure, wasn't sure if the doctor/clinician wants me to do so. It's set in a range of 4-20 right now, though it seems when it ramps up to 6 it's easier for me, so wonder if I should make it 6-20 (though it never has gone over 11.)

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:38 pm

Chilehead wrote:I feel like I'm working to get breaths in
That could be the very low starting pressure of 4.0.

I am very well acclimated to CPAP for nearly four years, but any pressure below 7.0 and I will feel like I am suffocating. Others report the same experience.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:42 pm

Chilehead wrote:wonder if I should make it 6-20
I would do it and if the doctor/clinician complains, be ready to say, "I'm the one sleeping with it, and pressure below 6 made me feel like I was suffocating. 6 makes me feel much better."

Don't worry about lowering the maximum setting of 20. As you have already observed, the machine will not go there unless it senses you need the higher pressure.

Captain_Midnight

Post by Captain_Midnight » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:23 pm

C.H. good attitude for getting started. You will succeed, maybe right away, or maybe after some conscientious effort .

There is some excellent advice from posters above.

The only thing I might be able to add? Keep your sense of humor. There will be some "speed bumps" along the road to optimized xpappian therapy. And, if you can chuckle at the various issues (rather than posting a "rant") success is yours.

Best thoughts for beneficial therapy.

Cerulean60

Post by Cerulean60 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:50 pm

I have completed 15 days of therapy. My machine is the same as yours. I will tell you, after the first seven days I was ready to pack it up. I could not sleep with the hose flopping around and with that thing on my nose. I was getting PVC's all day long due to anxiety over lost sleep (an old issue). I found this website, and oh my, what a help! I just felt better reading about all the same issues I was having, but now with suggested solutions and positive feedback. First off, I rigged the hose over the head board of the bed so it doesn't flop to the floor (who would have thought). Then, upon reading on how, I adjusted the initial ramp pressure on the machine to 5 (it's max) from 4. That 4 setting was just not enough. Hugh improvement. It isn't all roses, but my attitude came full circle. Thanks everyone.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:40 pm

4 to 20 cm is the failure mode uninformed providers use. I'd use 8 to 14, no ramp as a starting point. The avg treatment pressure is about 10 cm. I started at 15 cm now at 14.5 cm. When you get more data, you can keep correcting to find the low range needed. Too wide a range and the machine can't keep up with your needs, that's why 4 to 20 fails. You are off to a good start just being able to handle their poor setup. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:27 am

Agree 100%.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:17 am

Goofproof wrote:4 to 20 cm is the failure mode uninformed providers use. I'd use 8 to 14, no ramp as a starting point
+1

Chilehead

Post by Chilehead » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:07 am

Cerulean60 wrote: First off, I rigged the hose over the head board of the bed so it doesn't flop to the floor (who would have thought).
Funny, I did that first night as I didn't like the downward pressure the hose had. Now I see it's probably pretty common to do that.

Then, upon reading on how, I adjusted the initial ramp pressure on the machine to 5 (it's max) from 4. That 4 setting was just not enough. Hugh improvement.
4 was really difficult to breath with. I set mine to 5, but might bump it up a little bit more.

Chilehead

Post by Chilehead » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:15 pm

After about a week, I'm having surprisingly little trouble adjusting. I thought for sure sleep would be difficult, but I do feel like I'm sleeping more soundly, my wife says I hardly move, and I don't snore at all anymore. Now if I could get her to stop snoring ...

AHI so far: 1.2, 0.2, 1.2, 0.7, 1.6, 0.6, 0.7, 0.2, 2.1

Per sleepyhead, other than last night most of the events were clear away (which I think is central?) and hypopnea. I'm still coming up to speed on the terms and trying to interpret all the graphs in sleepyhead.

I do feel less sleepy during the day, but not a complete turnaround. Yet.