Working on a project and new to the forum

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Danbeck

Re: Working on a project and new to the forum

Post by Danbeck » Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:44 am

Yes, my wife would love an alarm, to wake her up. Anyway, my mask just leaks a little then I wake up and adjust it. Bad idea !!! Another person trying to profit off our sickness. Someone needs to say it !!!

AlabamaAl

Post by AlabamaAl » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:26 am

Danbeck wrote: Another person trying to profit off our sickness. Someone needs to say it !!!
Trying to profit off your sickness, or trying to make it easier to work thru the difficulties associated with it? It depends on your point of view. I suppose the inventor of the cpap machine was also lambasted for his/her invention that would help so many, and the desire to "make a profit" while doing so.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:04 am

Danbeck wrote:Another person trying to profit off our sickness.
How stupid. You do know you don't have to buy one?

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:10 pm

AlabamaAl wrote:
Danbeck wrote: Another person trying to profit off our sickness. Someone needs to say it !!!
Trying to profit off your sickness, or trying to make it easier to work thru the difficulties associated with it? It depends on your point of view. I suppose the inventor of the cpap machine was also lambasted for his/her invention that would help so many, and the desire to "make a profit" while doing so.
Mainly by people making dental appliances, and doing uncessarly surgeries, or selling other flavors of Snake Oil. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:50 am

+1000, Jim!
You forgot to include the other garbage that DOES NOT WORK,
like the gadget that claims to "clean" your equipment by filling it with corrosive ozone.

AlabamaAl

Post by AlabamaAl » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:49 am

Goofproof wrote:
AlabamaAl wrote:
Mainly by people making dental appliances, and doing uncessarly surgeries, or selling other flavors of Snake Oil. Jim
Granted, there are many snake oil salesmen that attempt to fill their pockets with the promise of some wonderful miracle, but I don't think that was the purpose of the author of this thread. He saw a need with his own therapy, and was attempting to fill that need. I firmly believe that necessity is the mother of invention, and refuse to discourage those who are genuinely attempting to solve a problem. I will not begrudge them of making a profit off of an idea that truly helps others with their therapy. Take the person who came up with the pad a cheek liners for example, from what I have read they do help, why shouldn't the inventor make a little money off of the idea? Capitalism is not the evil beast that some make it out to be...

flightco

Post by flightco » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:51 am

bmfmancini wrote:Hello All!,

I am new to the forum and also suffer from OSA

I have been on cpap for 1 year and in that year while going through the learning curve
I always wished there was an alarm for when my mask would fall off or was not fitting right

well I have been working on designing a small device that will work with most machines to bring that functionality
weather its a base model cpap machine or a full featured device this will connect to it

I am in the process of putting the design together for testing etc

why am I posting this ?
I would like to know from the community what you think ?
would you find this type of function useful ?

Please let me know
I currently have two leak alerts, if the first does not work the second always does.

First is the leak itself; 99 percent of the time I cannot sleep with a leek.

Second is my wife, the other 1% of the time she will punch me until I wake up; works every time.

So from my stand point, no need for an additional device - but best of luck to you.

flightco

Post by flightco » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:01 am

chunkyfrog wrote:+1000, Jim!
like the gadget that claims to "clean" your equipment by filling it with corrosive ozone.
Not to hijack this thread but ozone is a sterilant (in this case a high level disinfectant). I have worked close to 40 years for the largest hospital sterilizer company in the world (maybe 2nd, depends on how you measure it, definitely the largest in the US). Although we do not sell an ozone sterilizer (because we do not feel the market for it is large enough), our competitor does and within limited applications, it does work. I purchased one on a 30 day trial and sent some cultures to our device testing lab and the results were 100% negative. I only took two cultures and did not think about culturing prior to using so I cannot validate the results, only tell you what they are. I am still within my 30 days and returning it; not because I think it does not work, I believe it does; I am returning it because I cannot stand the smell - it makes me want to puke every time I smell it.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:14 am

flightco wrote:
Not to hijack this thread but ozone is a sterilant (in this case a high level disinfectant). I have worked close to 40 years for the largest hospital sterilizer company in the world (maybe 2nd, depends on how you measure it, definitely the largest in the US). Although we do not sell an ozone sterilizer (because we do not feel the market for it is large enough), our competitor does and within limited applications, it does work. I purchased one on a 30 day trial and sent some cultures to our device testing lab and the results were 100% negative. I only took two cultures and did not think about culturing prior to using so I cannot validate the results, only tell you what they are. I am still within my 30 days and returning it; not because I think it does not work, I believe it does; I am returning it because I cannot stand the smell - it makes me want to puke every time I smell it.
The Federal Government should buy a bunch of them, so they can make their germ warfare labs safer. But that would mean they would need to have someone there that could safely handle bio materials. Jim

Everything our government is doing is flawed, it's blind luck we surive.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

flightco

Post by flightco » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:41 am

Goofproof wrote:
flightco wrote:
The Federal Government should buy a bunch of them, so they can make their germ warfare labs safer. But that would mean they would need to have someone there that could safely handle bio materials. Jim

Everything our government is doing is flawed, it's blind luck we surive.
The feds have total room sterilizers using vaporized hydrogen peroxide. I don't think a SoClean would do the job.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:16 pm

Since SoClean is made safe enough for consumer use,
(see YouTube for examples of typical intelligence levels)
I would not be surprised if it is equally safe for microbes.
Just saying!

flightco

Post by flightco » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:52 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Since SoClean is made safe enough for consumer use,
(see YouTube for examples of typical intelligence levels)
I would not be surprised if it is equally safe for microbes.
Just saying!
Your oven is safe for consumer use but kills microbes; that is not a great argument. I was satisfied that the cultures I ran would have shown something if it did not kill; after all, I could swab the outside of my S10 and I am sure I would get something to grow, nothing from the one swab each of the inside of the humidifier and the hose.

It seems like people here just do now want to like this device and I would imaging it is either because their advertising is over the top (saying the unit cleans and sterilizers - the unit kills but does not clean, if the unit is not clean, it cannot be sterile, or they feel it is simply not necessary; something I agree with but for 300.00 and a free trial I was willing to give it a try. If the finished product did not stink so god awful bad I would be keeping the unit.

I will not get into an argument with the very people I just got done thanking for their service here and to the community. I gave my opinion because although I may not know much about cpap (and I hope you will still answer my questions) I am an expert in device decontamination and sterilization, I have been called as an expert witness in court cases and am certified in Supply Processing and Distribution of surgical instruments. I thought someone might find the opinion of one from the industry but in no why connected to the product, or even the product used in hospitals that my competitor sells, somewhat valuable. I believe the unit can sterilizer (or high level disinfect) a Cpap system, if not from the ozone itself, then from the smell, no self-respecting microbe would dare stay in that god awful smelling thing.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:01 pm

Three bills is an awful lot for a non-therapeutic device.
I have yet to see it covered by insurance.
Proper hand cleaning is highly underrated, and not all that big a deal.
Yes, their advertising is "a bit over the top"; umm, how about way WAY over the top?

Christine L

Post by Christine L » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:26 am

flightco wrote:I will not get into an argument
Why in the world are you posting all this stuff about cleaning in a thread about a mask-off alarm??

flightco

Post by flightco » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:56 am

Christine L wrote:
flightco wrote:I will not get into an argument
Why in the world are you posting all this stuff about cleaning in a thread about a mask-off alarm??
Really, did you not read the entire thread? I was responding to a disparaging remark about the So Clean and I disagreed with it and said so and said why I disagree. The mask-off is a device and the SoClean was brought up as another snake oil device; sorry if I have upset your sensibilities.