Facebook Adverts

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
archangle

Re: Facebook Adverts

Post by archangle » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:41 am

dutchiecpap wrote:Hi All, first post here for me and a moan straight off the bat, sorry

On Facebook I see a number of adverts from companies offering "oral appliances" claiming they will cure your sleep apnea and snoring and I find it very frustrating and am left wondering how they can post inaccurate statements whilst claiming to be FDA approved?
First of all it is not a cure as you still have the condition (if the device even works at all), and secondly, whilst people who snore a lot have a higher risk of sleep apnea, snoring is not a guarantee that you will have sleep apnea.
Unfortunately, US regulations are full of holes and enforcement is often spotty. Quackery can often skirt the regulations. There's also some sort of legal bogus FDA labeling the manufacturers can use. You often see FDA "cleared" instead of "approved." I'm not sure quite what the difference is.

The oral appliances aren't pure quackery, but my impression is that the success rate is pretty poor, especially compared to CPAP.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.