Vacation (hotel) questions

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
azalea

Vacation (hotel) questions

Post by azalea » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:43 pm

I will be in a hotel for 6 nights. Is it ok to use tap water during that time in my cpap humidifier? Am flying there so can't take water. I will be at 4,000 feet North Carolina vs South GA flatlands. What adjustments should I make on my cpap?

Goofproof

Re: Vacation (hotel) questions

Post by Goofproof » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:07 pm

You didn't fill in your profile in TEXT, not ICONNY, so we have nothing to go on but the rules, distilled water is best and recommended to use, but you are in the U.S., it can be bought here.

No changes need to be made if you use a major manufacturer's XPAP, they are self adjusting. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

azalea

Post by azalea » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:27 pm

Thanks Goofproof, Where do I find the profile place. I've looked, but can't find.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:32 pm

azalea wrote:Thanks Goofproof, Where do I find the profile place. I've looked, but can't find.
Top of page under Search, user control panel, click on it, drop Down list. Jim

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:35 pm

Any hotel can provide you with distilled water.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:38 pm

Distilled water is preferred but in a pinch tap water will work. If you use tap water go ahead and dump any water that isn't used the next morning and let the water chamber air dry. This will limit any mineral build up in the water chamber.

Most of the higher end machines now have automatic altitude adjustments. Unless you have a bare bones basic cpap chances are yours will be one of those.
Once we know for sure the exact brand and model we can tell you if yours has automatic altitude adjustment.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

49er

Post by 49er » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:34 am

azalea wrote:I will be in a hotel for 6 nights. Is it ok to use tap water during that time in my cpap humidifier? Am flying there so can't take water. I will be at 4,000 feet North Carolina vs South GA flatlands. What adjustments should I make on my cpap?
I used it for five days when I was on vacation without any problems. Just made sure I washed the humidifier very thoroughly each day.

KeepSmiling

Post by KeepSmiling » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:53 am

azalea wrote:I will be in a hotel for 6 nights. Is it ok to use tap water during that time in my cpap humidifier? Am flying there so can't take water. I will be at 4,000 feet North Carolina vs South GA flatlands. What adjustments should I make on my cpap?

I won't comment on the water, but I would suggest a small extension cord. There is always one in my CPAP bag since the time I went to one hotel years ago and the plug was on the other side of the bed. I do not think that is an issue now in hotel, but it has come in handy in homes so I would not have to unplug either the clock or lamp etc.

I also have a small surge protector in the bag. Not sure how many jules is needed for the electronics in a cpap machine, this one is over 1200 jules I think. Not sure if enough. (It was not an issue when traveling with my laptop since I used to use the one for the laptop since it was a 3 plug connector.)

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:01 pm

I just spent 4 days away from home. Bought some purified bottled water. Worked fine. The hotel water is fine, but who wants a white, mineral laden humidifier!

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:40 pm

SewTired wrote:I just spent 4 days away from home. Bought some purified bottled water. Worked fine. The hotel water is fine, but who wants a white, mineral laden humidifier!
All potable water is purified water, purified water, just means it's pure enough to drink, it doesn't mean the minerals have been removed. Jim

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:22 pm

Goofproof wrote:
SewTired wrote:I just spent 4 days away from home. Bought some purified bottled water. Worked fine. The hotel water is fine, but who wants a white, mineral laden humidifier!
All potable water is purified water, purified water, just means it's pure enough to drink, it doesn't mean the minerals have been removed. Jim
I agree...it's the minerals you are trying to eliminate by using distilled water. Bottled purified water still has minerals.

cathyf

Post by cathyf » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:18 pm

You can buy a gallon of distilled water at a grocery store, Wal-mart/K-mart/Target, Walgreens/Osco, and even some gas station convenience stores. Should cost no more than a dollar or two. At the end of your stay you can pour the remaining water down the drain and throw the gallon jug in the trash.

KeepSmiling

Post by KeepSmiling » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:09 pm

Is purified water distilled water?

I can understand deionized water - water in which the minerals have been taken out. This water may still have organisms in it.

When using a netty pot/sinus rinse either distilled water or boiled water is used. This is so there are no organisms in the water that may end up in the nose. I am assuming that even though some things the body can tolerate if ingested cannot be tolerated and may be harmful if breathed in.

Maybe the moisture from an xpap does not go as deep in the body as a sinus rinse does.

I would think the higher the temperature the worse this would be. The thought of organisms multiplying in the warmer water is scary to me. Yes I over think things.

Boiled water will actually have more minerals then tap water because with the boiling evaporation of water happens the salts do not evaporate and stay behind making the water more concentrated.

EDIT TO ADD,

If I remember correctly bottled water for consumption is UV treated which kills organisms.
Last edited by KeepSmiling on Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:29 pm

A friend was deployed to the middle east for 8 months... all they could get was plain old bottled water to use in their humidifiers. They washed out their humidifiers weekly with vinegar and more bottled water and they were fine for the whole 8 months. From what I was told they just changed out their humidifiers with new ones when they got home. No one got sick from not using distilled water, as a matter of fact there is a member here that only uses tap water in his/her machine and is fine. Distilled water is "recommended" not "a must or else" scenario. I only use distilled at home but if I am traveling I just use bottled water and wash my humidifier out well when I get home.
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

KeepSmiling

Post by KeepSmiling » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:59 pm

nanwilson wrote:A friend was deployed to the middle east for 8 months... all they could get was plain old bottled water to use in their humidifiers. They washed out their humidifiers weekly with vinegar and more bottled water and they were fine for the whole 8 months. From what I was told they just changed out their humidifiers with new ones when they got home. No one got sick from not using distilled water, as a matter of fact there is a member here that only uses tap water in his/her machine and is fine. Distilled water is "recommended" not "a must or else" scenario. I only use distilled at home but if I am traveling I just use bottled water and wash my humidifier out well when I get home.

I amended my post.

I am assuming you are referring to drinking bottled water. I would assume it was UV treated to be same to drink.

Rinsing with vinegar would dissolve the minerals. Vinegar also has some disinfecting qualities.

I was thinking of the danger in some tap water.

To long to remember, but I remember biology lab testing for microbs/germs or what ever, one of the disinfectants used was vinegar. I also remember Windex used because of the ammonia. To long ago to remember much of it.