Best Beds or Mattresses to Eliminate Back Pain and Stiffness

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Jimmycrackhorn

Best Beds or Mattresses to Eliminate Back Pain and Stiffness

Post by Jimmycrackhorn » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:55 pm

So I've been looking at the internet for this topic and decided, "Why not try a community that revolves around sleep!"

I'm still having fragmented sleep and actually have 2 mattresses in my room. One is a hard spring mattress with 4 inch mattress pad on it (2 inched memory foam and 2 inches regular foam. Bought at Walmart) and the other is a semi firm (I think) pillow top off brand.

I switch back and forth during sleep. Why? Because of body and back stiffness, and pain that happens in bed Long story short, I wake up stiff or have trouble sleeping or getting comfortable MOST nights and since my sleep is still a wreck but my settings are seemingly on point I need to rule out everything else that could be messing up my sleep.

So...

TL;DR What mattress have you tried or do you use that is absolutely amazing or comfortable, especially if you suffered from body/back stiffness? Why? Specifics will help. Thanks!

Julie

Re: Best Beds or Mattresses to Eliminate Back Pain and Stiffness

Post by Julie » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:33 pm

Two suggestions - sleep # beds (haven't tried them, but others have said they're good - I do good mem. foam), and... ask your MD to check out what's wrong - you could have fixable problems.

popcpoo

Post by popcpoo » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:09 pm

I use a medium memory foam mattress on an adjustable bed. It's just like sleeping in a comfortable recliner.

archangle

Post by archangle » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:14 pm

Sleeping in a recliner is my solution. In bed, I've gotten some relief from using a full body pillow, sleeping on my side hugging the pillow with my arms and putting it between my legs. I use another pillow (or no pillow at all) for my head. I found a buckwheat pillow useful as well. A waterbed might help or might make it worse.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

yaconsult

Post by yaconsult » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:28 pm

Costco has memory foam mattress toppers that let you try memory foam at a reasonable price to see how well it works for you. You just put it on top of the mattress you have now. It's very heavy and stays in place. They cost between $100 and $200 and you can see some online here: http://www.costco.com/memory-foam-mattress-toppers.html They come vacuum packed so that they take up less room and once you open the package, they slowly return to their full thickness and size. They are very dense and much heavier than you would expect from looking at them. One advantage of costco is that they will take back anything that you are not happy with.

Amazon also seems to have them and some even have prime shipping: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... ess+topper

I used one for years and eventually threw it out when it got too old. It's an interesting experience. It makes some things like rolling over harder to do because it doesn't have the resistance of a normal mattress to press against. Like masks, it's a very individual taste. If you are interested, the topper would be much less expensive to try them out then getting a whole new mattress.

Starlette

Post by Starlette » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:32 pm

+1 Julie

My husband and I complained for years about sleeping together. We just couldn't sleep together! The old saying "make love, not war" was in reverse for us. "Make war, consider love afterwards". We fought like cats and dogs (leaving out the details, too long to type). However, that did not solve his back issues due to three herniated discs. Back in 2010, we purchased a temperpedic bed. He's had 3 herniated discs. Told him adamantly no surgery for him, he obliged. I'd say that our bed is about as good as it's going to be for his back pain. If he's is that miserable, then he heads out into the family room and sleeps on the sectional. Temperpedic bed has allowed us to finally sleep together. As for his back, he does very well. Like I said, if he's miserable, he sleeps on the couch.

Jimmycrackhorn

Post by Jimmycrackhorn » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:51 pm

Great advice everyone...

Has anyone ever tried a Caspert? I'm about ready to get a new client from my business and I'd hate to spend the entire paycheck on a mattress, but I totally will if it means easier sleep. However, Casper is only $800. Apparently its got high ratings. Also there's a Leesa, Bed in a Box etc. But ya, temperpedic and air adjustables are all rated pretty high...

I have a memory foam topper but I sink too much, Yaconsult. I could try the costcos but they gotta be much firmer than the Walmart...

MarylandCPAPer

Post by MarylandCPAPer » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:51 am

I tried a sleep number bed years ago and was not impressed. They may have gotten better since then, but I would try them out thoroughly in the store before buying at their current prices. I have an adjustable bed and have tried various mattresses on it. I have terrible back pain and stiffness, so I would love to find a bed that is comfy and affordable. My bed started out as a Craftmatic adjustable bed. The adjustability is great. There are other adjustable beds out there, and other mattresses intended for an adjustable bed can be used on a adjustable bed foundation. A Craftmatic bed is much more comfortable than the adjustable hospital beds I've unfortunately experienced a few times. Last sleep study I had, they even had an adjustable bed at the sleep center for those used to them.

Last edited by MarylandCPAPer on Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Started CPAP 12/18/09 Pressure 13. Changed to APAP 1/18/10, Pressure 10-16. 4/2014:Switched to AirFit P10 mask. PR System One REMstar Auto Series 550 with A-Flex for 5.5 years. 7/2015 to present: AirSense 10 AutoSet FOR HER. Range: 10-20

Starlette

Post by Starlette » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:53 am

Johnny,

Don't want to see you spend $$$ that you'll regret later. Before purchase, google your selections and take a look at the reviews. It'll tell you what others have experienced.
Weight it out. Then you have some type of information in determining your decision. One more then, I would suggest going to your doctor and asking him for advice. With all the patients they see, he would get some really good feedback. Something to consider.

Starlette

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:30 am

I have used the Temperpedic mattress for years. After my wife spent a few nights on it to get used to it, she won't sleep on anything else. I bought a Novaform® 12" Valentina King Memory Foam Mattress - Item# 743310 from Costcos last January for our spare bedroom. I have been sleeping on it for a few months because the wifey has had some health issues. For the money, it's very close to the Temperpedic. We paid around two grand for the Temperpedic. I think we paid $800-900 for the Costcos bed. It's a little softer than the Temperpedic, but a very good bed.

Sheriff

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:03 am

I swear by my Costco foam mattress topper and my sleep number bed. The combo is a winner for me.

But two other things have made a huge difference in eliminating back pain and stiffness for me:
1) daily gentle Hatha yoga (no downward dog or pretzel moves!)
2) eliminating grains from my diet. Really! Getting "glutened" makes the pain come roaring back for days.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm