Sores & blisters from AirFit P10 For Her Nasal Pillow Mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
EmilySleeps

Sores & blisters from AirFit P10 For Her Nasal Pillow Mask

Post by EmilySleeps » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:43 pm

I'm having a terrible issue with my AirFit P10 for her nasal pillow mask. The plastic part that inserts into the nose is causing chaffing, blisters, and a lot of pain, particularly when I break the seal it forms in order to remove the mask. I've tried different sizes, but still have the same problem. Last night, I was up almost all night because the edges of the nasal inserts actually felt sharp, like little knives, cutting into the inside of my nostrils. Obviously, the pain wakes me and causes me to try to adjust the mask, and then this causes a big rush of air. Often I get them well adjusted and then, when I roll onto my side, they become dislodged and the whole issue starts again. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Pugsy

Re: Sores & blisters from AirFit P10 For Her Nasal Pillow Mask

Post by Pugsy » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:04 pm

The P10 (or any nasal pillow mask) should NOT ever cause pain, sores, blisters or abrasions on the skin.
If they are then something is wrong with either the sizing or the fitting or it's simply not a good mask for a person.
Have you watched the fitting videos available to see if there is some little something you could do differently?
Have you tried different sizes of nasal pillows? What size are you trying to use?

Go to the store and get some Lansinoh lanolin ointment/cream. It's found in the baby aisle of most stores. In Walmart it is over with the bottles and nipples. It's used by nursing mom's to help prevent cracking and sore nipples. Use a little a bedtime and use it a lot during the day to help heal the sore nostrils.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:11 pm

EmilySleeps wrote:I'm having a terrible issue with my AirFit P10 for her nasal pillow mask. The plastic part that inserts into the nose is causing chaffing, blisters, and a lot of pain, particularly when I break the seal it forms in order to remove the mask. I've tried different sizes, but still have the same problem. Last night, I was up almost all night because the edges of the nasal inserts actually felt sharp, like little knives, cutting into the inside of my nostrils. Obviously, the pain wakes me and causes me to try to adjust the mask, and then this causes a big rush of air. Often I get them well adjusted and then, when I roll onto my side, they become dislodged and the whole issue starts again. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Possibly pushing them too far into the nose? Wrong size pillows?

MarylandCPAPer

Post by MarylandCPAPer » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:31 pm

Is the headgear too tight on you? I have used both the standard and "For Her" versions. I have had no problems with nasal pillows feeling like knives. The first night I used the "For Her" version, the headgear was so tight, the nasal pillows felt stuffed up my nose, but there was nothing like knives. The headgear stretched quickly and I only had one bad night with it.

Sounds like you either have a defective P10 mask or you may need to try a different kind of mask. Nasal pillows may not be right for you. I have tried a number of nasal pillows masks without any experiences such as yours. Perhaps a nasal mask or a full-face mask would work better for you. It sounds as if you have very sensitive nares.

Let us know what ends up working for you and what you determine is the cause of your sores and blisters.

In the meantime, Lanisol creme sold in Walmart and other stores in the baby section may help soothe your poor nose.

Another thought, could you possibly be allergic to the material in the P10 nasal pillows mask?

Started CPAP 12/18/09 Pressure 13. Changed to APAP 1/18/10, Pressure 10-16. 4/2014:Switched to AirFit P10 mask. PR System One REMstar Auto Series 550 with A-Flex for 5.5 years. 7/2015 to present: AirSense 10 AutoSet FOR HER. Range: 10-20

KeepSmiling

Post by KeepSmiling » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:30 am

I agree with the allergy, make sure all parts of mask are washed in soap.

I remember having to see a ENT because of small wound in nose. If I remember correctly one of the issues was cauterized. I remember initially using some nose gel to help make a seal until the nose healed.

I know I had to try a couple of different nasal prongs and pillows initial. Not fun at all.

Speaking from experience get the nose checked out, getting a painful nose is not going to be helpful when using nasal pillows/prongs.

Do you have a pressure more then 14 or 16. I do not remember what the cut off pressure is for nasal fit mask to be comfortable. I know someone who was told not to use them because of the high pressure needed to keep airway open.

Other thoughts:

The headgear for the AirFit™ P10 For Her Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask is small is it to small for you and is it pushing to into your nose?

Have you looked at the Resperonics Gel Nasal Pillows for Nuance and Nuance Pro Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask, they do not go into the nose. Not sure where your sores are. One of mine was just on the inside so I do not know if even this mask would work well. I just thought of this pillow type, because I know someone who only tried the Airfit and this one and decided on this one and is doing OK. Some leaks when hose was placed over the head.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:24 am

KeepSmiling wrote:Do you have a pressure more then 14 or 16. I do not remember what the cut off pressure is for nasal fit mask to be comfortable. I know someone who was told not to use them because of the high pressure needed to keep airway open.
Let's stop this old wives tale and not help it live longer.
There is no cut off pressure for being able to use a nasal pillow mask or a nasal cushion mask at higher pressures. There is no medical/therapeutic reason to NOT be able to use any mask just because of higher pressures.

I routinely see pressures pushing 20 and above during the night and I have used nothing but nasal pillows and most of the time my leaks are well within acceptable limits and I sleep quite well.

So in terms of therapy...there is no reason that someone who uses higher pressures is prohibited from using nasal pillows or nasal cushion masks. Now maybe they just don't like them but that's a totally different reason...that's personal preference.
That "you can't" thing is nothing more than an old wives tale kept alive by DMEs and people who keep repeating it because someone told them that it couldn't be done....well they are wrong...it can be done.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Sibbs

Post by Sibbs » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:57 pm

Pugsy wrote:Go to the store and get some Lansinoh lanolin ointment/cream. It's found in the baby aisle of most stores. In Walmart it is over with the bottles and nipples. It's used by nursing mom's to help prevent cracking and sore nipples. Use a little a bedtime and use it a lot during the day to help heal the sore nostrils.
This helped me during the transition period when I was first using them. I will say that a couple of weeks to get used to them-- almost like my nostrils and skin at the base of my nose was toughening up a bit.

They never irritate my skin now and I stopped using lansinoh about a month after starting therapy. I'd have given up on them if it weren't for the good advice gotten here.
Machine: Dreamstation auto BiPap
Machine: Phillips RemStar Auto with A-Flex (560P), min=9, max = 13
Mask: AirFit P10 nasal pillows

distantdreamer

Post by distantdreamer » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:25 pm

After almost 7 yrs on nasal pillows I still get sores a few times a year. I got them an awful lot when I first started out. Now if I get them I think for me its one of two things, my mask is too tight or I have a few restless nights of constant tossing and turning causing rubbing on my nose from the mask.

rohdej

Post by rohdej » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:31 am

Most of the sores I got using the P10 where from using too small of a Pillow. I started with the medium pillows because I could feel the edge of the large on my nostril. I thought worked fine when I went to sleep, but through the night the mask would shift causing small leaks giving my nose wind burn. I need to use the large, but I make sure that after the pressure comes up to inflate the pillows I recenter them. I also keep the lansinoh handy.

Cubbieblue999

Post by Cubbieblue999 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:13 pm

I'm a female and I use the regular Airmask P10, not the one for her. It's got a blue and gray mask strap on the back. I have stretched this one out too over several months bc a lot of times I have my hair tied up in the back w a ponytail. Maybe the headgear on the for her mask is too tight for you and you should try the regular P10. Just a thought.

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:49 am

My head is big, so the mask was too tight. I learned to switch off with another mask every 3 days. After a few weeks of 'stretching', the mask now fits and I no longer get sores. I also found I had to go up a size than what SHOULD work. It is possible that you are allergic to silicon.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

Too tall

Post by Too tall » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:50 am

The nose pillow is the only mask I can use. I've tried all other types including the cloth and I consistently get blisters and redness.
System One RemStar Pro with C-Flex+ (460P)

ClarkK

Post by ClarkK » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:49 pm

I use to use the Nuance Pro which is softer on the nose and doesn't go in as far. I've had to go back to it a couple of times when the P10 irritated my nose. It's worth trying other masks and having a different one around as an alternative when your primary mask isn't working for you temporarily.

"Take it as it comes, specialize in having fun"
-- Jim Morrison

englandsf

Post by englandsf » Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:31 pm

Try the large size pillows, they should float on your nares. Also split the strap, one high and one low (at 90 degrees or so) for minimal pressure.

milkman55

Post by milkman55 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:29 pm

I am starting my second week with treatment as a new CPAP user. I picked the P10 mask because it had a minimal feel to it and it worked great in my titration test. I started with the large pillow and it worked great, but it seemed like the pillows were not "inside" my nostril. I switched to the medium pillow and within a couple of days, I developed sores and acne like issues on the edges of my nostrils to the point I had to stop using the P10 due to pain.

I bought a Wisp nasal mask to allow my sores to heal and it's been a rough two nights getting used to the Wisp. My DME (who happens to be one of the good guys) suggested I use Ayr Saline Nasal Gel with Soothing Aloe on my nostrils before using the P10. Needs to be a non-petroleum based product. Once the sores heal, I am going back to the P10 and go back to the large pillows.

I bought a second Transcend Auto for travel and will take the Wisp on the road and just have it for a backup in case I have nose irritations from time to time.
AirSense 10 w/Humidity, P10 Nasal Mask