What to do when waiting for new Cpap?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
lizs18

What to do when waiting for new Cpap?

Post by lizs18 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:59 pm

Hello both me & my friend have sleep apnea. My friend needs a new c pap but it will take a few weeks to be arranged. Does anyone have any sleeping & or keep awake tips for the mean time? He's really struggling.

Thanks for any advice you can provide!

Liz

Julie

Re: What to do when waiting for new Cpap?

Post by Julie » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:18 pm

Can he a) not sleep on his back if he can help it at all, and b) try sleeping in a recliner (as upright vs prone as possible).

mariejeanne

Post by mariejeanne » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:25 pm

Recliner sleeping is helpful to me.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:35 pm

lizs18 wrote:Hello both me & my friend have sleep apnea. My friend needs a new c pap but it will take a few weeks to be arranged. Does anyone have any sleeping & or keep awake tips for the mean time? He's really struggling.

Thanks for any advice you can provide!

Liz
Why does he have to wait? If he's already using one, he should have a prescription for it and that should be good for buying another one online. Or, he could get a lightly used one sooner from http://www.secondwindcpap.com and then he wouldn't have to wait and struggle.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

yaconsult

Post by yaconsult » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:25 pm

Between the doctor's office, the insurance company, and the DME it can take quite some time to get everything sorted out and all the stars aligned. Not everyone has the money to just go buy a machine out of pocket - especially if they are already paying for insurance. There are procedures that must be followed.

Bill44133

Post by Bill44133 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:30 pm

You might be able to pick up a cheap used machine on your local craigslist.com. After you get the new one can always keep the used one for a back up.

I wish you well...

Additional Comments: Settings are IPap 23 EPap 19

yaconsult

Post by yaconsult » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:52 pm

Do note that the majority of machines on craigslist are listed for much more money than they are worth. The people selling them have no idea of the true market value of used cpap machines. And you also have to worry about machines with problems, smoke smell, etc.

archangle

Post by archangle » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:17 pm

A recliner, side sleeping, or even sleeping on your stomach can help.

In the meantime, read the Useful Links in my signature line below, or there's a good chance you'll be screwed with a bad CPAP machine. You REALLY need a fully data capable machine.

Be polite, but check on the progress of the order process. Some delays are inevitable, but sometimes, someone's run into an obstacle and just hasn't bothered to correct it.

Are you both new CPAP users, or have you used it before?

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

Too tall

Post by Too tall » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:05 pm

yaconsult wrote:Do note that the majority of machines on craigslist are listed for much more money than they are worth. The people selling them have no idea of the true market value of used cpap machines. And you also have to worry about machines with problems, smoke smell, etc.
Yes, and despite what some think, unless the machine is professionally cleaned, it would be contaminated with who knows what.
System One RemStar Pro with C-Flex+ (460P)

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:15 pm

Too tall wrote:
yaconsult wrote:Do note that the majority of machines on craigslist are listed for much more money than they are worth. The people selling them have no idea of the true market value of used cpap machines. And you also have to worry about machines with problems, smoke smell, etc.
Yes, and despite what some think, unless the machine is professionally cleaned, it would be contaminated with who knows what.
Who has ever had their machine professionally cleaned? The only thing that goes through it is filtered room air.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:26 pm

Too tall wrote:
This "absolute" doesn't necessarily work for that scenario. If it had gone through a flood, hurricane, tornado or forest fire or some other catastrophe......then......"maybe". But, for the vast majority of machines sold on the secondary market, that's not true. As LSAT said, they've probably only had filtered room air pulled through them. There's really not much inside them that could retain anything that could be considered a "contaminant".
As with any "previously used" machine, it's a good idea to change the filters, replace the hose (unless it's still in a sealed package), clean the HH tank, and let it run for a little bit to check out the airflow. Things are not always as dire as they can be portrayed.
Seven of my ten machines were "previously owned". Some with fewer then 10 blower hours and three with more then 1K hrs.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

archangle

Post by archangle » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:51 pm

Too tall wrote:
A "professional" cleaning means wiping down the outside of the machine and changing the filters. There is no procedure to clean the insides. Anyone who sells a machine claiming it was professionally cleaned is either a liar or someone who was scammed by a so-called "professional." Liar is the most likely choice.

However, there are procedures for cleaning the hose, mask, and water tank. There are some links in the Useful Links in my signature line below.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:02 pm

A "professional" cleaning means wiping down the outside of the machine and changing the filters. There is no procedure to clean the insides. Anyone who sells a machine claiming it was professionally cleaned is either a liar or someone who was scammed by a so-called "professional." Liar is the most likely choice.
Not true. A professional cleaning includes opening the machine. These are only offered by places who do repairs. According to the RT at the hospital, some people come in with pretty skanky machines, but for most, it's just the cords or hoses that are a problem. As mentioned, it just blows air. If the machine has odors from mold, mildew, whatnot, a professional cleaning service actually replaces the insulation inside because there is nothing you can clean that with.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:22 pm

SewTired wrote:
Not true. A professional cleaning includes opening the machine. These are only offered by places who do repairs. According to the RT at the hospital, some people come in with pretty skanky machines, but for most, it's just the cords or hoses that are a problem. As mentioned, it just blows air. If the machine has odors from mold, mildew, whatnot, a professional cleaning service actually replaces the insulation inside because there is nothing you can clean that with.
If the buyer of a used machine is smart, they will try the machine before they buy it. If it is a "stanky" machine they shouldn't buy it.. There are enough good used machines available...cheap. Probably less that the cost to "clean" the old one. If I had a machine with odors, mold or mildew, I would junk it.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:13 pm

LSAT wrote:
If the buyer of a used machine is smart, they will try the machine before they buy it. If it is a "stanky" machine they shouldn't buy it.. There are enough good used machines available...cheap. Probably less that the cost to "clean" the old one. If I had a machine with odors, mold or mildew, I would junk it.

I bought a lightly used (less than 200 hours) Resmed Autoset with brand new climateline hose (still in the plastic bag) for $200. We met at a Starbucks, and I was able to attach my hose and mask to make sure the pressure felt right and the air didn't smell bad. I bought it as a backup and travel machine. But I actually spent less on this machine that I did for the one that insurance mostly covered.

Yes, many craigslist machines are overpriced, but in my area (Seattle), I see at least one Autoset a month that is listed for $300 or less. And the overprice machines have been listed for a few months. Make an offer. If they have listed it long enough with no bites, they will take the offer.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?