no electricity or biPap for 10 days, WHAT?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jondough

no electricity or biPap for 10 days, WHAT?

Post by jondough » Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:38 pm

I am at 14/11 BiPapPro2 by dx and 13/9 by trial and error
As you may know, i am going to a NON electric location for at least 10 days.
Last year, as a newbee, I forgo my machine and suffered for three or more weeks after getting back. I am looking for an alternative.

Because BiLevel machines, my BiPapPro2 and the VPapIII are 24VDC [or AC] {note that PB425 is 12VDC} the DC to AC to DC [at expense] is a lot to ask from a battery.

Does anyone know how long ANY machine runs on ANY AH [amp hour] battery so that we can guesstimate hourly longevity?

Now, because bi-level battery seems less possible, my question is, what is the alternative? a CPAP for that time because of lower draw? the PB425, which I would more embrace if it had better reporting.

Suggestions appreciated.
Docs do not have a clue and DME do not know the concept battery.
Many thanks,
Sorry to start another thread but a different twist.
michael

PS, I am on the verge of a BiPapAuto but it is 24VDC also so I am defering it to after the vacation at a 45+ year location [incl honeymoon]/
az few even know the parameters of 12VDC, it is hard to consider the draw and time and ramifications of 24VDC at this stage.
I wish I was still 30 and could haul any weight of battery or generator across in the boat, but tis not so.....

A solution has not yet come.

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): CPAP, DME

michael

dx bipappro2 [14-11] nov 04
no more mysterious lost days, weekends, weeks.

Sleepy-in-AL

Post by Sleepy-in-AL » Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:06 pm

I believe that the Puritan Bennett CPAP uses the least current I've heard of so far. So that might be one option. However, it is still going to take quite a bit of battery power (read heavy batteries) to make it 10 days without recharging.

Another option, albeit a very expensive option, would be to get something like the breathex or the Everest Aura with enough extra battery packs to make it the number of days you will have to go between charges.

The Aura "battery cells" are $169 each, and 10 of them would still weigh quite a bit. The Breathex extra batteries are $150 each. Of course in addition you still have the cost of the machines.

I'm not aware of a Bi-Level with internal battery though.

idahogal

Post by idahogal » Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:23 pm

I just returned from a camping trip and could have easily used my straight cpap for 3 days on my deep cycle marine battery. I did not heat my humidifier. I hope this helps some.

jondough

Post by jondough » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:08 pm

my real interest in this question was, if i do not take my BiPapPro2, and cannot get a 12VDC bi-level machine, can I make it with a Auto Cpap for 10 days and consume less electricity.

I have pretty much found that I need to get a small generator for recharging batteries during the day and still have not decided how many AH i need to make sure that I get thru an 8hr plus night, which will depend on what machine.

Has anyone used a BiPapPro2 on batteries, no humidifier, and if so how much battery did it require?

michael

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:44 pm

LOOK in your owners manual on the last few pages, should show you power consumption at a given pressure (all other Resmed manuals have it).

For example a Resmed Spirit with 2i humidifier will use 43VA at 20cm pressure.

If your pressure is less, it will use less power.

24VDC is no big deal, it is simply 2ea x 12VDC batteries placed in series to obtain the needed 24VDC. Putting 2 batteries together they will last longer but man is it going to be HEAVY.

If you want non-spillable batteries go with high capacity Optima Marine battery, it is completely sealed so you don't have to worry about spilling acid or have to deal with off-gassing.

Recharging: Get a 12VDC solar panel, they are expensive but they will recharge a battery in a hurry, too bad you couldn't RENT one. We had one on the houseboat and it was 12" wide and 36" long about 2" thick and it put out a steady 3AMP charge on a bright sunny day.

We had 2ea heavy diesel truck batteries on the houseboat, it ran all the lights, water pump, toilet, stereo etc. when the generator wasn't running. Biggest problem we had was overcharging, that solar panel would boil all the water out of batteries.

But it may be a bit hard to charge a battery using a solar panel in a cave....

Get a Honda EU1000, a 100ft extension cord, it will weigh much less than 2 batteries and a solar panel. Just don't tell us you'll be backpacking in.

wabmorgan

Post by wabmorgan » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:50 am

No elect???

Is a generator out of the question??? A gas powered one. Maybe you could put it outside and run a long extention cord.

Opps... just saw that snoredog suggested this as well.

Anyrate... it might be your best bet.

jondough

Post by jondough » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:28 am

not backpacking but on an island a half mile by boat and a couple of hundred yards from shore. did not want to lug 50# back and forth to shore where there is electricity.

am thinking about generator to charge during day because i do not know how much noise these small ones provide for nightime sleeping. no reason to go to the maine woods for everyone to listen to a generator all night. if you cannot hear it at 50 feet, running directly off a generator might be possible.

there are a lot of 1000w generators that cost less then the Honda or Yamaha, even down to $100. not sure what the net difference is, though i am a firm believer that money does buy quality, but because H and Y both fix their prices, they are unusually expensive. I have not found one to rent yet.

part of my question was, being a bipap user, could i use an autocpap for the week without problems, anyone done this? i am going to set my bipap at same pressures tonight and see what a straight cpap is like. i may get my autopap right away to simulate an autocpap.

thanks.
michael

michael

Alex1195

Re: no electricity or biPap for 10 days, WHAT?

Post by Alex1195 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:09 pm

You can get a foldable Solar panel for 24VDC from edmund scientific on line.
If you get a Yuasa 37 Amp hour 24 DC battery (expensive @ $85.00 on line) (approx 18-22lbs) you can last up to 5-6 days on a BiPap machince with the humidifer turn on.
10 days with it off.
Hope this helps

nanwilson

Re: no electricity or biPap for 10 days, WHAT?

Post by nanwilson » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:21 am

Alex
You just answered a post that was written in 2006..............I'm sure he has figgered it out by now.
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.