horrible air quality...need advice

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
knothead

Re: horrible air quality...need advice

Post by knothead » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:23 am

kb81 wrote:I couldn't believe how much sand and dirt got into my mask. It was nasty. I truly appreciate all your guys' responses. Do you think the sand is getting in past the black sponge AND filter? That's so weird. I will crank my humidifier all the way. It was in the middle section for a while.
Kb81
My son has been over there 2 times and he said the sand can get "in the crack of dawn".
Its horrible, thanks for your service soldier...stay safe.

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:23 am

kb81 wrote:NANWILSON, do you think I should bother trying to tape a coffee filter in front of my black sponge???? Do you think that would be beneficial?
No, he was okay with his machine just as I described. He was not the only one on crew that used a cpap machine, and they all followed the same procedure.
Ask around, I bet there are other members in the same boat as you.......... if you don't want to ask, just look for mask marks on their faces and you will know .
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:26 am

Sorry for my ignorance about your particular life (like I have a reason to know anything about it here in Canada). Remind me not to try and help you in future!

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:32 am

Julie wrote:Sorry for my ignorance about your life (like I have any reason to know anything about it here in Canada). Remind me not to try and help you in future!
Julie, you did not realize where he was deployed... its horrible. Besides the sand and heat, being deployed there is no picnic. And YES, we have Canadian guys and gals over there, along with many other countries trying to keep us all from being beheaded by those radicals.
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:37 am

The sand and dirt in the mask isn't coming from within the machine itself but more likely simply the ambient room conditions. Even if some sand and dirt made it past the 2 filters (do wash that black foam filter often and change the white fine filter often) there's no way for the sand or dirt to get blown up the hose and into the mask. The particles are too heavy for the air to carry them. I know that sometimes that air seems like it is blowing at hurricane force winds but in reality it isn't and from a physics stand point it simply can't happen.

Do what you can to limit the masks exposure to room air (cover mask and hose and machine when not in use with something that the sand and dirt particles can't go through) and wash the mask frequently and do the best you can when starting out the night with a clean face.

Hopefully more moisture in the air will help with your nasal symptoms.
Google "cpap rhinitis" and you will see that you aren't alone.
If you can find something like Simply Saline to use during the day it might help. Things are so dry over there that the nasal mucosa are likely always fighting dryness and just takes a little bit more from the cpap air to push them over the edge. Adding more moisture anyway you can may help the symptoms and sure worth a try.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:40 am

Nan - I heard the 'deployment,' but it still doesn't tell me what's available to them medically there, and his note was rude.
Last edited by Julie on Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.

archangle

Post by archangle » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:29 am

kb81, welcome. Sorry you needed to join us.

Please fill in the equipment on your profile. There's a link in my signature line at the bottom of this post. We need to know what machine and equipment you have.

It's counterintuitive, but for some people, less humidity is better. If more humidity doesn't help, try less.

Sometimes, you can place your CPAP machine somewhere the air is cleaner can help. Inside a drawer, on top of a shelf instead of under the bed, back in the US , etc. If you can make it less dusty around the air input on the back of the machine, it might help.

Assuming your tap water is safe to drink, you might try flushing your hose with water in the morning. If you don't have a heated hose, the end of the hose may slip over the end of the faucet and let you run water though the hose to flush it out. You can even leave the mask on the hose if you take off the fabric headgear first.

If you use non-distilled water in the water tank, dump it out first thing in the morning and let it sit dry all day. A quick rinse of the tank before bed before filling might be a good idea.

There are "hypoallergenic" white filters for Philips Respironics machines, which sounds like what you have. I'm skeptical that they're actually much better, but it might be worth trying. Be sure to wash the foam filter every few weeks or more often when it gets dirty. Don't wash the white ones. The foam needs to be replaced every 6 months. Be sure the foam filter is dry before you use it again. I find it helpful to have 2 foam filters and alternate.

Are your white filters rectangular, or do they have the tab that sticks out on one side? If they look like the one below, cut the tab off. They'll be a little harder to get out but will fit better. Check to see that your filters are installed such that air can't leak around the sides. Take out the filters and inspect the air input for signs of dust. Put the filters back before using the machine.

One counterintuitive thing is that a dirty air filter actually filters out more dust. Unfortunately, it resists the airflow more and may cause your machine to overheat. The risk of something like a coffee filter over the existing filter would be that it might restrict air flow too much and cause your machine to overheat, or even prevent it from blowing enough air if it's really bad.

If you try the coffee filter idea, watch out for the machine overheating or not getting enough air. Ordinarily, I wouldn't recommend it. The machine filters are designed for that and I doubt an external filter is going to do much better. You could damage your machine if you restrict air flow too much.

As for "sand" getting into things, it's probably not what we think of as "sand." Normal "sand" is relatively large chunks of silica. In the desert, there are all kinds of other dry minerals that are finer than "sand," plus silica that's been broken down by blowing around in the desert for thousands of years. Much more insidious than normal sand.

Think of it as being like table sugar vs. confectioner's sugar. Throw a handful in the air and see which drifts around more.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:40 am

You should contact your medical officer about getting replacement filters more often than they are usually provided, and replacement water tanks, too, since you don't have access to distilled water.

Your service is appreciated. If you are having difficulty getting supplies let us know, we may be able to help.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:22 pm

If the air conditioner is a window unit, does anyone have access to it?
Those filters can get horrible, cleaning is a pain, and someone may have THROWN IT OUT!
(Urban nincompoops!)
Ours gets nasty when the wind is dusty, and that's HERE.
I cannot even imagine how bad it is there.
If the filter in the window AC is gone--it needs to be replaced--for everyone's health.

archangle

Post by archangle » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:48 pm

Janknitz wrote:You should contact your medical officer about getting replacement filters more often than they are usually provided, and replacement water tanks, too, since you don't have access to distilled water.

Your service is appreciated. If you are having difficulty getting supplies let us know, we may be able to help.
Unfortunately, a new air filter doesn't make the air cleaner than a dirty one, although it does make the machine work harder to suck air through it.

If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:53 pm

kb81 wrote:I couldn't believe how much sand and dirt got into my mask. It was nasty. I truly appreciate all your guys' responses. Do you think the sand is getting in past the black sponge AND filter? That's so weird. I will crank my humidifier all the way. It was in the middle section for a while.
see if you can get some antibacterial filters for the hose, they're usually round balls, or dual cone shape, they are to filter bacteria, and so they should take care of even the finest sand.

they look like this:

I know what you're dealing with, sandwise, though I've never been, but a marine son of a friend of mine had his notebook quit, and she said "hey, send it to palerider, he can fix it" .... so he got one of those flat rate usps boxes, dropped the notebook and power supply into it, with no padding, and mailed it.

surprisingly, it arrived fine... the only thing wrong with it was that the fan had accumulated enough of that super fine sand, that it'd gummed up the bearings, and wouldn't spin anymore!!!

best of luck.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:22 pm

Julie wrote:Nan - I heard the 'deployment,' but it still doesn't tell me what's available to them medically there, and his note was rude.
Get over it...you were wrong.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:54 pm

Sure glad I didn't have sleep apnea in Viet Nam in 1966, no a/c, no electric, maggots wouldn't even eat the food many times, it was too rotten for them.

We still had about the same temps, well maybe a little hotter, but the holes they shot in our tents did provide a little airflow.

Wrap everything in a clean towel or two, stow it in your footlocker dry when you aren't using it. Keep filters changed as needed, use your bottles water, bribe the cook for a little vinegar to clean the HH.... Job Done, Keep your power dry. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

archangle

Post by archangle » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:33 pm

palerider wrote:
see if you can get some antibacterial filters for the hose, they're usually round balls, or dual cone shape, they are to filter bacteria, and so they should take care of even the finest sand.

they look like this:
Excellent idea. Watch out for it getting clogged up. You might have to replace it fairly often.

Useful Links.

kb81

Post by kb81 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:39 pm

UPDATE:

I listened to your advice and cranked up my humidifier, and wow...what a difference!!!! I feel like a million bucks!!!! I truly appreciate all your guys' kind thoughts and words. It's not easy being deployed, but I have it a lot easier than most had in over the past years. Do not thank me for my service, because I'm not worthy of it...let us all give thanks to the men and women who did not make it home. Please do not get my words mixed up w/ my lack of gratitude for your thanks, because I'm grateful for every "thank you" I receive. EVERY troop here appreciates your guys' support. Our Vietnam Veterans did NOT get any support, so your guys' support means the world. My heart goes out to the families of the men and women who did not make it home. I have a short time left and I'm heading home! This has been especially hard on my wife, as this is her first deployment w/ me. We've been together for 7 years now and celebrated our 5th wedding anniversary while I was over here. To MarylandCPAPer, if you could do that for me, I'd be gratefully appreciative. My wife and I will do something nice for you when I get home. I don't let random acts of kindness go unheard or unappreciated. I cannot be more grateful for your offer. I will get you my address. Once again, thank you!