Recommendations on recording oximeters?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Too tall

Re: Recommendations on recording oximeters?

Post by Too tall » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:45 am

I'm just responding to the post for a recommendation, I'm not interested in convincing anyone whether they need one or not. That's going to b e a decision only you can make.
System One RemStar Pro with C-Flex+ (460P)

Hang Fire

Post by Hang Fire » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:48 am

Too tall wrote:I'm just responding to the post for a recommendation, I'm not interested in convincing anyone whether they need one or not. That's going to b e a decision only you can make.
As I suspected. Your money, effort and time were wasted on the oximeter. It has been useless to your therapy.

Too tall

Post by Too tall » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:08 am

Hang Fire wrote:
Too tall wrote:I'm just responding to the post for a recommendation, I'm not interested in convincing anyone whether they need one or not. That's going to b e a decision only you can make.
As I suspected. Your money, effort and time were wasted on the oximeter. It has been useless to your therapy.

What? You must have a miserable life to be such a hater. What a hateful comment. You don't know anything about me or my therapy or what I want to spend my money on.

klv329

Post by klv329 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:57 pm

I use the contec cms50fw, ver. 3.8W. It appears to have a wireless function to it, although I ordered the non-wireless. For sleepy head to upload the data the wireless function needs to be turned off in the menu. I agree with the pros and cons listed above. I think it was $120. I used it to determine an epap level that kept oxygen above 90.

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:34 pm

The pulse oximeter gives you 2 channels of information. You can measure oxygen levels as well as heart rate.

Everyone focuses on oxygen levels and forgets that even without a significant desaturation you can still register pulse events during sleep disorders. The learning curve on pulse rate events is higher than simply looking at an oxygen desaturation below 90%, but heart rate monitoring can be a valuable tool to use.

If you are picking up a pulse oximeter just to check your oxygen levels, fine. But understand that you are missing out on a lot of valuable information from your heart.

Too tall

Post by Too tall » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:54 am

I also use mine when I do my 4 mile walk every other day. It picked up on an arrhythmia that i didn't know I had. Turns out it was some medication that I was taking that was causing sinus arrhythmia which is not an issue but it was interesting when I ran the foxpro report.

I had a catherer ablation for AFIB and now that it's fixed I monitor my heart fairly often. It's those folks that go with AFIB undetected who end up with a stroke. BTW, AFIB and sleep apnea are closely related. It's not just about getting a good night's sleep.

It's a valuable tool if you are one of those people that take your health into your own hands. I don't take everything my doctor says as bible, and they like that and are appreciative of any information you can bring them to diagnose heart related issues.

Whether you want or need one is your choice however. For me, it a great tool, for people like Hang Free, it's a waste of time and money. If you have to ask if you need one, you probably shouldn't waste your time as you won't know what to do with the information.