New to Cpap, whats the difference in machines

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Pugsy

Re: New to Cpap, whats the difference in machines

Post by Pugsy » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:05 pm

KnH wrote:I also ordered a airfit P10 and swift FX nasal pillow mask.
I did ask through a chat window if cpap.com would price match and it was a No.
Just to clarify something about cpap.com and it's price matching policy...For any ResMed name brand products cpap.com can't price match. It's ResMed's rule. ResMed dictates the price for their products and cpap.com can't discount the prices or ResMed will not sell/ship ResMed products to cpap.com. ResMed essentially prices fixes...they set the MSRP and dealers who want to continue to sell ResMed products have to sign a contract agreeing to ResMed's terms.
https://www.cpap.com/cpap-faq/Pricing.html
That's why the "we will price match in most cases" wording.

ResMed also dictates the rule that cpap.com can't ship outside the US and have done that for quite a while. Respironics just started implementing that rule a couple of years ago. When I first started therapy there were no such restrictions.

Now those places on Amazon that are selling ResMed products lower than what most of the online cpap retailers sell for...don't know how they got their inventory but if it was directly wholesale from ResMed and ResMed catches them then they stand a good chance of not being able to purchase directly from ResMed.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:29 pm

Pugsy wrote:
KnH wrote:I also ordered a airfit P10 and swift FX nasal pillow mask.
I did ask through a chat window if cpap.com would price match and it was a No.
Just to clarify something about cpap.com and it's price matching policy...For any ResMed name brand products cpap.com can't price match. It's ResMed's rule. ResMed dictates the price for their products and cpap.com can't discount the prices or ResMed will not sell/ship ResMed products to cpap.com. ResMed essentially prices fixes...they set the MSRP and dealers who want to continue to sell ResMed products have to sign a contract agreeing to ResMed's terms.
https://www.cpap.com/cpap-faq/Pricing.html
That's why the "we will price match in most cases" wording.

ResMed also dictates the rule that cpap.com can't ship outside the US and have done that for quite a while. Respironics just started implementing that rule a couple of years ago. When I first started therapy there were no such restrictions.

Now those places on Amazon that are selling ResMed products lower than what most of the online cpap retailers sell for...don't know how they got their inventory but if it was directly wholesale from ResMed and ResMed catches them then they stand a good chance of not being able to purchase directly from ResMed.
Fell off the back of the truck! Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

KnH

Post by KnH » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:09 am

In no way was I implying cpap.com did anything wrong, I was just noting that I asked if they could price match, the host of this site.
Cpap.com looks like it is limited by contract in what they can and can not do.
From the limited selection and all the stores having the same setup, it looks more like surplus stock.

Kind of reminds me of buying collage text books on line and getting the international version.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:40 am

KnH wrote:In no way was I implying cpap.com did anything wrong,
And I didn't mean to imply that you were complaining or griping but I thought I would mention the price match thing because every now and then we get people who pitch a fit because cpap.com won't price match on an item and invariably once we find out the item is a ResMed item...they still pitch a fit.
I was in more of "education mode" as I suspect a lot of newbies might read your post and this was a good time to clarify things and maybe ward off another tirade down the road from someone against cpap.com and the price matching thing. We tell people that cpap.com will price match but we don't tell people that cpap.com can't price match on some items and often we send people to cpap.com and the people remember that "so and so on the forum told me that cpap.com price matches....so how come they can't price match the P10 I found for $10 less"....and then they are mad at me for telling them cpap.com will price match and they are mad at cpap.com....and so I have a big fire to put out. and irate people aren't much help in putting out fires.

Anyway...I just thought I would use this opportunity to explain why cpap.com can't price match on some items.
Just trying to prevent that big fire from ever getting started in the first place.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

KnH

Post by KnH » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:57 am

Earlier during the day I checked Fedex website and it said I had signed for the package!!!!! and I was at work, So I started to worry about who had My new CPAP machine. When my wife got home it was on the porch.

I got home last night the Respironics PR System One 60 Series REMstar Auto and the Swift FX nasal pillow mask was waiting for me,
The Remstar came from a real DME company and it was new in the box with all the documentation, so that settled one worry.

I am very lucky, I have a wonderful wife, the whole evening I was very nervous about actually start using CPAP,up to that point I was in pure information gathering mode. She repeated over and over again when I asked her if this was the right course to take and she kept reminding me how very tied I was and how much of a fog i have been in, and I did fall a sleep and drive off the side of the road.

I watched a few YouTube videos & read all the manuals and it didn't take me long to set it up, but I worried a lot the whole time if i was doing it right.

First night impressions I worried a lot and woke up 3 or 4 times, readjust the mask, check the machine. There was only one real problem, I have a deviated septum and one nare is quite a bit smaller, I had to use the small nasal pillows, with the medium pillows I had pressure point pain in the smaller nare.
I woke up one time and My nose was supper dry and it felt like I was only able to move air through one nare, so I turned up the humidity all the way up. when I woke up my nose wasn't totally dry and I was breathing from both nares.

Im not sure how I slept,still feel somewhat tired, my wife said I didn't snore at all and I didn't jump all over the bed like I normally do. I have been so dead on my feet, one night might no be enough to feel normal again. My sleep study AHI was 79, last night on CPAP the Remstar said it said it was 4.

I qualified for bariatric surgery and I decided to pass, My doctor started me on a new weight loss medication, the patient hand out info came in a real nice pink/purple bag, totally sexist, LOL. My wife snatched that bag real quick. I have lost 12 pounds in the first month and don't feel like I am starving myself at all. I am really surprised that it is working so well. One of the perks is I got a fancy new scale, it sends my weight in and I get text messages were I stand both up and down with my weight loss. It is called contrave and it does have a discount card, So between the CPAP and weight loss I hope to continue to get my life going in the right direction.

Thank you all for all the great info everyone gave me.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:19 am

Congrats on getting past the first night. You did better than me I woke up a gazillion times the first night just because there was something on my face.
It will get better I promise.

If the nasal pillow mask with the septum issues is too annoying...there is a nasal pillow mask that allows for independent sizes to be use...like a small in one side and medium in the other side.
It's called the Tap Pap nasal pillow mask. You can check it out at cpap.com and comes with free return insurance. It uses a mouth guard to stabilize the nasal pillows so there are some teeth requirements that go along with using it. You may or may not be interested but I toss the idea out there.
The other alternative might be the F & P Pilairo Q...then nasal pillow part is super thin material and might be less likely to annoy. There's pros and cons to all these masks...just have to find the one that has more pros than cons.

Get yourself some Lansinoh lanolin ointment/cream. Found in the baby aisle of most stores like Walmart.
Use sparingly at night to help with the minor tenderness at the nostril area...and don't over tighten that top strap on the Swift FX. If you look in the mirror and the first thing that crosses your mind is "piggy nose" then that top strap is too tight. The end of the nose shouldn't have so much pressure on it that the end is pulled upwards at all. These masks don't have to be tight to seal.

KnH

Post by KnH » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:15 am

I will have to take a look at the tap pap, I use a mouth guard now
thanks

yaconsult

Post by yaconsult » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:39 pm

Pugsy - the Breeze nasal pillow masks I used for years has independently changeable pillows so that you could have a different size for each nostril, if you wanted.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:49 pm

yaconsult wrote:Pugsy - the Breeze nasal pillow masks I used for years has independently changeable pillows so that you could have a different size for each nostril, if you wanted.
You know I thought about the Breeze afterwards but decided not to mention it at this time (got busy and then I figured you might be along and offer it) because the headgear is so "much".
Though it probably is a lot more comfortable than it looks which was what I found when I tried the now discontinued Aeomed Headrest which is similar. I was pleasantly surprised as to how the headgear wasn't nearly the issue I thought it might be.
Return insurance is $15 but as a package it is $10 less than the Tap Pap.
The Breeze is one of the very few nasal pillow masks that I have never even tried...and like everyone else I tend to recommend what I have tried if I know it works well personally.

Also...the Breeze has been around a long, long time. I wouldn't be surprised to see it fall to the discontinued mask list one of these days. Those of you who really like it...better stock up or you all will be in the same boat as those people who just loved the Headrest.

yaconsult

Post by yaconsult » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:40 pm

The Breeze is actually a good mask. It does hose management really, really well as the hose exits near the top of your head so it's never in the way. And I think it looks more cumbersome than it feels. It just kind of floats up there and the only contact points are the pillows, top of head, and back of head. I used the halo straps but had them quite loose.

And if you need to use two different size pillows - no problem. Just pop in the two that work best.

MarylandCPAPer

Post by MarylandCPAPer » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:04 pm

I used the Breeze mask for 3 or 4 years. I have TMJ (jaw) problems, and I loved that nothing touches the side of the face. Also, I agree that the hose management system is great, the nasal pillows are very durable, and you could put in 2 different sizes. I found it to be extremely comfortable. It looks imposing but to not have anything aggravating my TMJ, I loved it. Right now, I am not having TMJ pain , but I do wear a custom made dental appliance (like a nightguard) when I sleep. Currently, I am using an Airfit P10 nasal pillows mask, which is extremely lightweight but does not offer the option of using different size nasal pillows. I am saving the Breeze for when I may need it again.

About 2 years ago, the DME I had at the time told me the Breeze was being discontinued. I asked them if they could get spare parts or supplies and they couldn't.

Sometime in the last 2 years, evidently, someone else started making the Breeze. My current DME was able to get me one 2 months ago. However, he told me that the new company making it is discontinuing it too, so I would not be able to get any more parts for it.

Last I checked, Cpap.com was still selling the Breeze. It is worth trying if you need 2 different sizes of nasal pillows. If you are careful with the headgear, it can last you years, and so can the nasal pillows.

I have tried the mask that has a mouthpiece and nasal pillows with no strap. I don't recall the name. I couldn't stand it for one night and I think it dropped out of my mouth during the night and that was the last I ever saw of it.

\We are all different in our preferences and needs. There are many different masks out there, as a result. Good luck finding one that works well for you.

Started CPAP 12/18/09 Pressure 13. Changed to APAP 1/18/10, Pressure 10-16. 4/2014:Switched to AirFit P10 mask. PR System One REMstar Auto Series 550 with A-Flex for 5.5 years. 7/2015 to present: AirSense 10 AutoSet FOR HER. Range: 10-20

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:28 pm

KnH wrote:
biz64 wrote:I have a Resmed S9 Autoset for $550, a Respironics DS560 CPAP Auto for $475, and a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset for $575. All are brand new machines, with zero hours, and have never been used. They all come with humidifiers, filters, SD cards, manuals, tubing, and carry cases. All you would need is a mask, and I have many of those for sale also. I have photos and references available. Prices do not include shipping, but I can ship anywhere. Let me know if you have any questions.

Any one have any experiences with Biz64
Buyer beware...all he has done is try to sell equipment

Ricci

Post by Ricci » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:20 pm

Pugsy wrote:
KnH wrote:I use the heated hose year round so that I keep my nose happy with same humidity all the time and I adjust the air temp to suit the seasons and ambient room temp.

If you are like me and turn that thermostat down...get the heated hose. It doesn't put out warm air like a sauna which is what some people think of when they think heated hose. The ResMed won't go above 86 degrees which is still cooler than body temp.
If you normally keep the house quite warm then I wouldn't get the heated hose.
be careful though i only had my machine 3 days so am new
BUT i turned my temp down to 60 some odd degrees and woke up so COLD i swear i was cryogenically frozen
and was shivering SO bad took almost all the hot water in my water heater to feel human again, and to stop shivering
scary that it could do this so be careful
PS: i keep my room temp at 68 degrees and this does not have the same affect as forcing cold air into my lungs

MarylandCPAPer

Post by MarylandCPAPer » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:34 pm

Ricci wrote:
Pugsy wrote:
KnH wrote:I use the heated hose year round so that I keep my nose happy with same humidity all the time and I adjust the air temp to suit the seasons and ambient room temp.

If you are like me and turn that thermostat down...get the heated hose. It doesn't put out warm air like a sauna which is what some people think of when they think heated hose. The ResMed won't go above 86 degrees which is still cooler than body temp.
If you normally keep the house quite warm then I wouldn't get the heated hose.
be careful though i only had my machine 3 days so am new
BUT i turned my temp down to 60 some odd degrees and woke up so COLD i swear i was cryogenically frozen
and was shivering SO bad took almost all the hot water in my water heater to feel human again, and to stop shivering
scary that it could do this so be careful
PS: i keep my room temp at 68 degrees and this does not have the same affect as forcing cold air into my lungs
Hi Ricci, Since you are starting a new topic, you will get more responses here if you post a new topic. Others here have lots of experience with heated hoses.

Also, be sure to fill in the Equipment profile using text (not pictures) and details of your treatment (pressure or pressure range, ramp, etc.). The Equipment profile is under the User Control Panel at the top of the forum. This attaches to every post you make, so you are likely to get help faster from people familiar with your equipment and prescribed treatment.

I have only used unheated hoses during the past 6 years of treatment and never wished I had a heated hose.. My new machine (Airsense 10 for her Autoset) came with a heated hose but I haven't tried it yet. Did they give you a standard or slimline nonheated hose too? You may find it more comfortable in starting out treatment this time of year. Good luck!!

Started CPAP 12/18/09 Pressure 13. Changed to APAP 1/18/10, Pressure 10-16. 4/2014:Switched to AirFit P10 mask. PR System One REMstar Auto Series 550 with A-Flex for 5.5 years. 7/2015 to present: AirSense 10 AutoSet FOR HER. Range: 10-20

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:53 pm

Ricci wrote:be careful though i only had my machine 3 days so am new
These machines don't have refrigerant in them so they start out with room temp air and go from there so I am quite safe in the summer turning my heated hose down as low as it will go without having what I call "ice cube nose syndrome" because of the room air temp that I start with.
Now the wintertime is another story for me since I keep the air temp in the house quite cool in the winter and if I didn't have the heated hose I would experience what you describe because I have been there.
Wake up a gazillion times during the night with my nose hurting it was so cold.

I have been using cpap for 6 plus years now and started out with a non heated hose and been through several season changes both with and without a heated hose.

If you find the air too cool for comfort you either have to warm up the air in the hose or warm up the air in the house. While it may feel like there is a drastic drop in the air temp in the hose...these machines cannot make it lower than the ambient room temp.