Mouth Breathing Solutions?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
JTurner

Mouthbreathing

Post by JTurner » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:04 pm

I've been using a cervical collar and just wedge it under my chin. I still need to occasionally
breathe through my mouth due to high cpap pressure

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:57 am

Rather than try to resort to these exotic techniques, wouldn't it be just better to just fork out $175 and buy the Hybrid????

what is a "Hybrid"? Excuse me make that ???????????????????????

frequenseeker

Post by frequenseeker » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:30 pm

Hope you check out the links Rested Gal posted on the first page. My oral appliance continues to save my life and eliminate taping/barriers and other measures for me which I depended on previously. You can try the DIY and make it yourself, or get one made by your dentist (my dentist is available to offer info), or try a Nosebreathe as an intermediary method http://www.nosebreathe.com

rested gal

Re: Mouth Breathing Solutions?

Post by rested gal » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:55 pm

bitfoggy wrote:Rather than try to resort to these exotic techniques, wouldn't it be just better to just fork out $175 and buy the Hybrid????
Those who already have a mask that is very comfortable for them sometimes may find it "better" to work on mouth air leaks. If a technique (exotic?? lol!! ) works, they can keep using a mask they already have and that they already know lets them sleep comfortably and well.

If I hadn't tried tape to control mouth air leaks and found that "technique" worked well for me, I'd not have ever been able to wear interfaces that suit me far more comfortably than any full face mask including the Hybrid.

That said, there's also nothing wrong with trying an exotic new mask if you have the money to fork out. If I hadn't tried a "new" one a year or so ago, I'd never have found the perfect (with tweaks ) mask for me... Aeiomed's "Headrest" (Aura).

Links to Aeiomed Headrest (Aura) nasal pillows mask topics

LINKS to Hybrid full face/nasal pillows mask
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:20 pm

Rather than try to resort to these exotic techniques, wouldn't it be just better to just fork out $175 and buy the Hybrid????

The Hybred goes to pot once your jaw sags open, as it does for so many moth beathers once they fall asleep. Your mouth opens and the nasal pillows drop out of your nose, and you are left with nothing but air going in thru your mouth. Even with seven ????????'s, you can't get away from that problem.

sir_sleeps_alot

Post by sir_sleeps_alot » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:05 pm

From day one 7 years ago I NEVER had any problem with mouth breathing. Until a few months ago I had open heart surgery, and for some reason now my tongue won't lock out the air flow. It happend the exact same day as the surgery. I'm baffled. I'm also worried that the duct tape that I'm using will have some kind of long term affect over the years to come. I have to completely seal my lips because I get the blowfish syndrome happening.

SleepyT

Post by SleepyT » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:27 pm

OwlCreekObserver wrote:...But I've also read about several folks who have somehow trained themselves to breathe properly through their nose after they drift off to sleep. Some say you should "park" your tongue against your upper gums; others say lower gums. Maybe it's different for different folks, sorta like the various masks.

My question is, how long did it take for any of you to finally get it right? Thanks in advance.
OwlCreek,
I am a non-taper. I use a chin strap as my 'reminder' not to open my mouth. I have programmed myself pretty well, I guess, as if I do open my mouth slightly, I wake up. My leak rates as viewed by my software are very low...and my AHI is usually 2. I would say, get a chin strap, and let that be your cue...work on programming yourself. Tell yourself what you want. (not unlike taking a nap and telling yourself you only want to sleep for 30 minutes...and somehow after 30 minutes your internal alarm goes off!) Good luck!

T.

"Knowledge is power."

Muse-Inc

Re:

Post by Muse-Inc » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:53 pm

Guest wrote:...fork out $175 and buy the Hybrid...
I paid $119:https://www.cpap.com/productpage.php?PNum=2204&PAID=301

It has a small chin flap; if you're a huge mouth breather, it might not be sufficient.

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

nasal pillowspro

Post by nasal pillowspro » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:07 pm

Taping you mouth or using mouth sealer's the only thing that works. Sleep technicians don't know half as much as apnea patients
Sleep Techs have not used a mask all night themselves.

DaveLP

Post by DaveLP » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:48 am

My lowest AHI so far has been around 5, but I have a beard and mustache. I tried taping by folding the tape lengthwise, sticky side out, and sticking it to my lips, but it comes loose after an hour or so. A Resmed chin strap helps if I pull it up enough to rest under my lower lip. My Swift FW pillow pressed on my upper lip.

It's not perfect, but it helps. My EPI is high, but my AHI is usually under 10 and that's considered OK with the Intellipap. The Intellipap scores differently than the Resmed and people who have both report lower numbers with Resmed.

It's a constant fight, but I don't want to shave completely. I usually trim my beard to 1mm.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:09 am

FYI....The replies are to a post that originated in 2006....2009.